2018 KHSAA 3A State Track & Field Championships

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Trinity Shamrocks. At least this year the KHSAA didn’t find a way to cheat you out of a championship like they did last year. What went on last year should not have been allowed.

What happened?

Going into the last event in 2017 in which Trinity was heavily favored,and had they won would have won the team championship. Instead they called off the track meet prior to the last event due to inclement weather and awarded the championship to the team that was leading in points at that point. Trinity to my great disappointment just left things the way they were. No protest or other legal action to force the KHSAA to hold the last event.

Going into the last event in 2017 in which Trinity was heavily favored,and had they won would have won the team championship. Instead they called off the track meet prior to the last event due to inclement weather and awarded the championship to the team that was leading in points at that point. Trinity to my great disappointment just left things the way they were. No protest or other legal action to force the KHSAA to hold the last event.

One of the things you learn from sports is that life isn't always fair. The KHSAA had a tough call and made it. There was no good answer. I didn't like it, but it was what it was. I noticed that this year they reworked the schedule so that they would have had more time if the weather had intervened. As much as I would have liked the championship (if it had happened), whining to a judge was not the answer.

Not knowing the KHSAA rules governing inclement weather conditions at a State Championship meet, I nonetheless find it hard to believe that the meet was called, and the points leader {at the time} was determined to be the State Champion w/o a protest, etc. I can't imagine that this would occur at a football, baseball, etc. championship game. Given all the hard work by the kids, one would think it only natural that the meet would have been halted in a weather advisory state, and the last event run when it cleared-up to determine the overall Team State Champion. Amazing, I doubt this would fly in Ohio.

Not knowing the KHSAA rules governing inclement weather conditions at a State Championship meet, I nonetheless find it hard to believe that the meet was called, and the points leader {at the time} was determined to be the State Champion w/o a protest, etc. I can't imagine that this would occur at a football, baseball, etc. championship game. Given all the hard work by the kids, one would think it only natural that the meet would have been halted in a weather advisory state, and the last event run when it cleared-up to determine the overall Team State Champion. Amazing, I doubt this would fly in Ohio.

Actually it used to.

Until the early 70's any football game that ended in a tie was decided in weird ways.

At one time the winner was the one with most First Downs.

Then the rule became the one who penetrated the farthest after each team had a possession.

Still another time it was based on total yards.