Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Whitley County

Featured Replies

How do yoy think Coach Deaton will do at Whitley County?

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thnk he is just what Whitley County needs. He has a proven track record. And with Deaton at a school as large as Whitley it won't be too long before they make some noise in the 13th.

How do yoy think Coach Deaton will do at Whitley County?

 

Does anyone know who will possibly start for Whitley this year? I would guess Lebanion would for sure start with the others coming from some of the following; McCumbers, Lowrie, Bargo(transfer from Corbin), Storms and Lawson. What is the status of Cody Jones?

Whitley will do extermely well! Their strength of scheduling is one of the best in the state, so I don't know if they wins will show or not. I thought I heard on the radio that Deaton said he would be a contender this year for the 13th. I would not doubt it! This man is a winner! I know that we paid highly for this winner. So saying all of that I think they should win around 15 to 17 games this year, but that is just my opinion.

Does anyone know who will possibly start for Whitley this year? I would guess Lebanion would for sure start with the others coming from some of the following; McCumbers, Lowrie, Bargo(transfer from Corbin), Storms and Lawson. What is the status of Cody Jones?

 

I thought Lebanion was injured?

I thought Lebanion was injured?

 

He broke his hand or wrist in football, but he should be good to go when the season starts as far as I know.

He broke his hand or wrist in football, but he should be good to go when the season starts as far as I know.

 

Cool, thanks. I didn't know the extent of his injuries. :thumb:

I can't see Whitley winning more than 12 games. Probably closer to 10 games. Lebanion has been hurt with a broken bone in his foot, and is really out of shape. McCumbers has messed up his knee in a football game and even with those guys they would stuggle. Deaton is a good coach but he can not make baskets for them. As for who is going to start, at this point I bet Deaton does not even have a clue.

 

I am sure they will be improved, but I am certain that Deaton did not say they would be regional contenders this year. He is a realist. To be a contender they would have to climb over Corbin at least once. No, they will be in third and finish there this season.

I can't see Whitley winning more than 12 games. Probably closer to 10 games. Lebanion has been hurt with a broken bone in his foot, and is really out of shape. McCumbers has messed up his knee in a football game and even with those guys they would stuggle. Deaton is a good coach but he can not make baskets for them. As for who is going to start, at this point I bet Deaton does not even have a clue.

 

I am sure they will be improved, but I am certain that Deaton did not say they would be regional contenders this year. He is a realist. To be a contender they would have to climb over Corbin at least once. No, they will be in third and finish there this season.

 

This sounds a little more realistic to me. I can't imagine Coach Deaton stating that Whitley would be a contender for the district or region this year. If they are, then he is underpaid no matter how much they are paying him now.

As an Alum I am pulling for Whitley to rise in the 13 th. With the size of the schol noow they should begin to build a solid program

GOOD LUCK COLONELS:dancingpa

I don't mean to be critical, but I don't know if they can get 10 or 11 wins this season. They only had 6 last season and two were against awful Tennessee teams (Oneida, Jellico). The others were two were against 2-18 Williamsburg, whom also only beat Jellico twice, one against Garrard and another against Oneida Baptist. But for their sake, I hope this coach can turn them around, but I don't know if they'll be able to have a winning season.

Whitley fans have been wondering the same thing SouthernFan since the conception of the school....strange beast.

I think that 10 wins is within reach, they have a favorable schedule, Williamburg twice, Jellico twice, they are in the McCreary County Tourny, the Edmonson Co Tourny, and they play Jenkins along with some other teams they should be able to compet with. They have gotten rid of some of the teams that they could not compete with last year so 10 wins is reasonable. I don't think you were being critical at all, since I thought they only won 5 games last year! With some luck and great coaching I could see 12 wins if they were VERY lucky and got some breaks, like the other teams breaking down on the way to the game!!!!!

 

I think that most Whitley fans would settle for 8-10 wins and vast improvement in competing with teams, several times last year the fans were embarassed for the team it was so lackluster. It will take some time for Deaton to work his magic, but remember he has only had one losing season, and going back to his first year at Corbin he really did a great job, although they had more talant, that is an example of the type of coach he is.

 

Player retention has been a problem in the past but with Coach Deaton, I think that may take care of itself. Maybe some of the kids who have left for greener pastures may stay now. If they don't show improvement they may still leave but at least Whitley now has a coach who can keep kids in the program.

I think players leave because other schools have tradition. I think that Whitley has put all of its assests into its sports programs and they are fair at best. I might be wrong but if the school with that type of size does not win more than ten games, then something is wrong, especially with the schedule that they have. I wish Deaton the best!

 

Oh by the way, I was wrong he did not say he was going to win region. Sorry about that!

Whitley only won 5 games last year. OBI beat Whitley in a close game. KHSAA did have the game posted wrong on their site.

 

Whitley barring a rash of injury will be more competitive than last year. If nothing else they will play with much more fire. Last years team had tremendous chemistry problems from the very beginning of the season and never really expected to win any games. Deaton will solve the chemistry problems and create a winning attitude. This bunch will be scrappy, play defense and rebound. The number of games they win will depend on how many of their injured players are able to return.

 

Ed Lawson and Jamie Labanion are out with injury but, they should return in November. McCumbers has a bad knee and may not play this season. Shaun Baird has a broken leg and is out for the season. Cody Jones is still rehabbing a badly broken leg and is doubtful for the season.

 

Despite the adversity this will be a fun group to watch and by February could be a legitimate spoiler. They have one of the best coaches in the state and more basketball talent than most people think. It is going to an interesting season.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.