Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

History of your schools State Champion Teams

Featured Replies

I am always intrigued to hear some of the BGP'ers talking about past state Champion teams and wanted to get a thread started to learn more about specific teams they may have played for...been a fan of or simply know about.

 

I was very young when my alma mater (Bellevue) won state titles in 1977 and 1979. I have some vague memories of the Sutkamps, Sprague, Schreiber, Hurtt, etc... I know the 79' team defeated a tough Richmond Madison team who had an All State Defensive lineman who was huge.

 

I was also a teammate (my sr. yr) of a very talented group of Freshman at Bellevue who later in their Jr. year 1990 made it to the State finals only to lose to a tough Russelville squad in Class A. That Bellevue team was loaded with speed...Brad Hissong, David Kiefer, Tommy Vickers..etc.

 

Lets hear about the state champion teams you know about and some of the top players and action from those years. Go back as far as you want in history....

  • Replies 63
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elkhorn City High School won the 1964 class A title, running the single-wing, side-saddle offense. They beat Russellville 33-7 in the final and went 12-1 that year. I was all of three years old.:ylsuper:

I am always intrigued to hear some of the BGP'ers talking about past state Champion teams and wanted to get a thread started to learn more about specific teams they may have played for...been a fan of or simply know about.

 

I was very young when my alma mater (Bellevue) won state titles in 1977 and 1979. I have some vague memories of the Sutkamps, Sprague, Schreiber, Hurtt, etc... I know the 79' team defeated a tough Richmond Madison team who had an All State Defensive lineman who was huge.

 

I was also a teammate (my sr. yr) of a very talented group of Freshman at Bellevue who later in their Jr. year 1990 made it to the State finals only to lose to a tough Russelville squad in Class A. That Bellevue team was loaded with speed...Brad Hissong, David Kiefer, Tommy Vickers..etc.

 

Lets hear about the state champion teams you know about and some of the top players and action from those years. Go back as far as you want in history....

Those late 70"s Bellevue were so much fun to watch as a kid. I just talked to one of the Sutkamps about those Richmond Madison games as recently as last week, as they are very close family friends of mine. Now some of those names from those years have kids that play HS football. I know a couple play at Highlands.

  • Author
Those late 70"s Bellevue were so much fun to watch as a kid. I just talked to one of the Sutkamps about those Richmond Madison games as recently as last week, as they are very close family friends of mine. Now some of those names from those years have kids that play HS football. I know a couple play at Highlands.

 

Yea...they basically had one of the best rushing offenses in the state year in year out. Hurtt was a great player for the Tigers and his son is an outstanding linebacker for the Birds. Sutkamp has a son who plays in the Fort Thomas Jr. league and will be a good player.

GRC won the 4A championship in 1991. Very hard to win the 4A with the Lousiville schools being so dominate of that crown.

GRC won the 4A championship in 1991. Very hard to win the 4A with the Lousiville schools being so dominate of that crown.

 

 

Now you know it was much more dramatic than just that. Come on, take literary license with it! :D

I am always intrigued to hear some of the BGP'ers talking about past state Champion teams and wanted to get a thread started to learn more about specific teams they may have played for...been a fan of or simply know about.

 

I was very young when my alma mater (Bellevue) won state titles in 1977 and 1979. I have some vague memories of the Sutkamps, Sprague, Schreiber, Hurtt, etc... I know the 79' team defeated a tough Richmond Madison team who had an All State Defensive lineman who was huge.

 

I was also a teammate (my sr. yr) of a very talented group of Freshman at Bellevue who later in their Jr. year 1990 made it to the State finals only to lose to a tough Russelville squad in Class A. That Bellevue team was loaded with speed...Brad Hissong, David Kiefer, Tommy Vickers..etc.

 

Lets hear about the state champion teams you know about and some of the top players and action from those years. Go back as far as you want in history....

 

 

Don't forget the 80 and 81 teams! Bellevue was a dominate force in the state during this time span.

GRC won the 4A championship in 1991. Very hard to win the 4A with the Lousiville schools being so dominate of that crown.

 

I saw that excellent team! As I recall, they defeated T and X in succession (the X game was a thriller) to win the title. Whatever happened to the rb's on that team?

 

BTW, very good idea for a thread.

I remember the Ludlow team that won the 1975 title. The team was coached by Randy Reese, who went to Paris after leaving Ludlow. Still see alot of those guys at Panther football games.

I remember the Ludlow team that won the 1975 title. The team was coached by Randy Reese, who went to Paris after leaving Ludlow. Still see alot of those guys at Panther football games.
I played on that team. :D I think that was the first state championship in any sport for Ludlow.
I played on that team. :D I think that was the first state championship in any sport for Ludlow.

I think you are correct and I knew you played on that team. I wish I had, but baseball was my passion.

I think you are correct and I knew you played on that team. I wish I had, but baseball was my passion.

I think I collected more splinters than playing time! :lol:

I think I collected more splinters than playing time! :lol:

Well you weren't alone and I probably would've been right there next to you.

  • Author

Wasnt Jim Lokesak the star of that team? in 1975...

 

What about all the great Highlands teams? My mom has some old yearbooks from early 60's... I was looking at those...noticed some names like McGraw, Mike Lawson, Bill Montfort, Chuck Kyle, etc....She said they were some great teams and always went to state playoffs.

 

LN, maybe you can share some 1970's Bluebird history?

  • Author
Don't forget the 80 and 81 teams! Bellevue was a dominated force in the state during this time span.

 

Yep.. those were the teams I remember the most....watching Mike Sutkamp carry the ball like 40 times a game... I think he has the state record for most carries in a season or something...maybe career. I think Bellevue even knocked off Cov Cath back in 81' over at their place on a Saturday afternoon. Anybody remember that game?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.