Health Insurance Companies Stink

Voice of Reason

That is what puzzles me. Medicare seems to run more smoothly than private insurance. We have a proof that the government plan is better than private. Yet people are anti the government plan.

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like there's proof that the government plan is a disaster.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what puzzles me. Medicare seems to run more smoothly than private insurance. We have a proof that the government plan is better than private. Yet people are anti the government plan.

Also, JumperDad mentioned earlier the lack of competition today being a problem. My counter to that is there was plenty of competition 10, 20, 30 years ago and private health insurance was bad back then. Plus rates continually skyrocketed when there was more private insurance competition so it didn't help on the cost side either.

In what world does Medicare run smoothly?

We have had a health savings account for years, and I love it. Preventative care is 100% covered. If you are sick or injured you do have a big spend down, but it is money you should have put in the account already. After that, you are covered 100%. If you are not sick or injured, it is like a savings account.

When you are spending your own money, it does make you think before you run to the ER. Obviously if it is a true emergency you are going to the ER, but for other things, you might wait for your doctors appointment or an urgent care. It puts some of your health care spending choices in your hands.

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like there's proof that the government plan is a disaster.

In what world does Medicare run smoothly?

I don't hear people complaining about medicare. I am sure there are issues. Nothing on this planet runs mistake free. However, I don't hear complaints about medicare like I hear complaints about private health insurance. Don't health insurance brokers have to set up services to help clients get claims approved with private health insurance? What are the problems you have heard about with medicare?

I don't hear people complaining about medicare. I am sure there are issues. Nothing on this planet runs mistake free. However, I don't hear complaints about medicare like I hear complaints about private health insurance. Don't health insurance brokers have to set up services to help clients get claims approved with private health insurance? What are the problems you have heard about with medicare?

Medicare is letting my father in law turn into a vegetable in his medical chair at home. They will not allow him to do any physical therapy or speech therapy after his multiple strokes. Medicare says it wont do him any good. The man cant walk because he has no strength in his muscles what so ever. Medicares plan is to do nothing and hope he passes quickly so that they dont have to pay for more of his ER visits for when he falls at 3am to go take a pee and bust himself up or breaks his wrist like in 2014.

But yeah lets go with Medicare its great.

...VOR wont see this post, he has me on ignore.

My health insurance was great, until Obamacare came along. I had reasonable copays and deductibles. Now the copays are higher and the deductibles are ridiculous.

Oh, did I mention the cost went up by 2.5 times? This is an employer based plan from the second largest city in KY too.

If there is one thing that the high cost and low quality of health insurance and providers should drive is responsible self care. The person that exercises, eats responsibly, limits alcohol consumption and effectively manages stress, should not be paying the same premiums or experiencing the same costs as those who consume alcohol and tobacco in excess, have sedentary lifestyles and experiment with various recreational substances.

It seems like there is overwhelming financial incentive to make healthy lifestyle choices, but, lets face it, most of us do not.

My health insurance was great, until Obamacare came along. I had reasonable copays and deductibles. Now the copays are higher and the deductibles are ridiculous.

Oh, did I mention the cost went up by 2.5 times? This is an employer based plan from the second largest city in KY too.

Mine wasn't great. My costs have done nothing but increase disproportionately my whole life. Insurance companies have purposefully tried to avoid paying legitimate claims. Service has consistently been lacking. Obamacare didn't change any of that for me for better or worse.

But as I said, this discussion is not about Obamacare. Obamacare is not government health insurance. It is additional government regulation of private health insurance and it isn't working. If anything, Obamacare proves to me that private health insurance is not the solution. I have more doubts than ever that private health insurance can be part of the solution for providing health care insurance. Obamacare proves to me that private health insurance is a failure.

I'm old enough to remember when most people only carried major medical. They paid out of pocket for routine stuff. I clearly remember going to my GP as a teen with my siblings for booster shots. My mom paid for all 5 of us and it was less then 20 bucks. People need to stop expecting that everything will be paid for. The more they want covered the higher the cost will be.

A discussion for another thread. This thread is about health insurance, not healthcare providers. Those are two different things.

It is an example of how inept the government is. A single payer system ran by the government would be the same.