Traditional Powers that could/should play!

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't listed any inter-class games, as those can happen in playoffs. So my list only has games between opponents from different classes. Also, these are long-term matchups, and even when one team or another has an up or down year, over time, these would prove to be good games, IMO.

As a Belfry fan, I would love to see...

Belfry vs Mayfield

Belfry vs Danville

Belfry vs South Warren

Belfry vs Highlands

As for other games, these would be great every year...

Beechwood vs Central

Desales vs Corbin

Cov Cath vs Male

Bowling Green vs Trinity

CAL vs Boyle Co

Johnson Central vs Highlands

I know @ChiefSmoke loved that rivalry. Would be neat to see it come back.

Yes, that was a great rivalry and I loved playing in Flatwoods!

I miss seeing Coaches Ivan McGlone & Garry Morris. They always had great gameplans for us and it was a big challenge to play the Red Devils. Tremendous people & coaches.

Black Shoes and White ShoeStrings: Destination: Flatwoods

I'm not taking anything away from SC. You guys in Jeff Co. are going to have to realize that your era is coming to an end.

Not in my lifetime.

Back on topic: Trinity-Covington Catholic possibly as soon as the next contract(after 2018). These teams played in 1970 (T 21-13), 1971 (T 14-2), and 1972 (T 9-0).

Bowling Green-Trinity will not happen: 2007 (T 39-28), 2008 (T 17-0), 2009 (T 9-0), and my favorite of this series 2010 (T 14-12). There was also a game in 1974 (T 26-0).

As for Simon Kenton-Trinity: 2001 (T 60-0), 2005 (T 52-0), 2008 (T 48-0) and 2011 (T 72-0).

I understand a few years ago there was an offer to cover transportation for any Northern Kentucky 6A team and no charge for Trinity's return trip to play home and home.

Someone commented about Trinity hurting players: I do not believe Ryle suffered any injuries besides a bruise or two versus Trinity in the scrimmage this year.

Jeffersontown had a couple of big guys go out a few plays and return to the game.

Edited by thsrocks

RE: Corbin VS Mayfield

My bad, but does that mean there is a fourth game coming in this series?

Yes they will play again next season again at Austin Peay in Clarksville. Per the AD at Austin Peay, who played for Mayfield. The first 2 games in this series were played at Lindsey Wilson as part of a 2 year deal and would have likely stayed there had it not been for a conflict for this year at Lindsey Wilson. So in looking for a new location Austin Peay came up and having the ties made it easy. In the interview with the Austin Peay AD he said they were excited to host and gave the teams a better price than what they had with Lindsey Wilson because they just finished a 19 mil stadium upgrade and wanted to show case it and get the word out and felt that this was a great way to do so. Anyway, the Corbin vs Mayfield at Austin Peay is a 2 year deal meaning that they will play there again next year and man it is a awesome facility

Bowling Green-Trinity will not happen: 2007 (T 39-28), 2008 (T 17-0), 2009 (T 9-0), and my favorite of this series 2010 (T 14-12). There was also a game in 1974 (T 26-0).

I always hear this, but why? Is it a no on the Trinity side or the Bowling Green side? Is it because Bowling Green doesn't want to play X and T in the same season? Is it deeper than any of that?