Top 10 Teams in the 9th

The previous thread about top 10 players got me thinking about this year and the overall top 10 teams. I, unlike the user who started the previous thread, will give my 10 and we can go from there:

1) Covington Catholic - have held this position for the past two years as well and didn't make it to Rupp. This trend may not continue.

2) Cooper - Adam Kunkel is a difference maker as he showed in the Region Final.

3) Holmes - What??? 12-17 last year and #3 this year...I think this might show the parity in the teams from this point. They return a lot from last season.

4) Newport Central Catholic - looking for a big year from Brennan Hall and improvement in the younger players.

5) Newport - very athletic team and Mekell Burries is very good. I think they shoot themselves out of games.

6) Dixie Heights - a decent JV team will be required to take up the load from the seniors who left.

7) Boone County - Ethan Haynes and company will have a much better season this year than the previous 2.

8) Beechwood - Toebbe is a force and if they have quality guard play could rise in the rankings.

9) Ryle - top two scorers gone but a talented junior class is going to get thrown in the fire and I think they'll be better than expected.

10) Conner - life after the Hemmerichs...quieter gym and we will see who steps up in their place.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The previous thread about top 10 players got me thinking about this year and the overall top 10 teams. I, unlike the user who started the previous thread, will give my 10 and we can go from there:

1) Covington Catholic - have held this position for the past two years as well and didn't make it to Rupp. This trend may not continue.

2) Cooper - Adam Kunkel is a difference maker as he showed in the Region Final.

3) Holmes - What??? 12-17 last year and #3 this year...I think this might show the parity in the teams from this point. They return a lot from last season.

4) Newport Central Catholic - looking for a big year from Brennan Hall and improvement in the younger players.

5) Newport - very athletic team and Mekell Burries is very good. I think they shoot themselves out of games.

6) Dixie Heights - a decent JV team will be required to take up the load from the seniors who left.

7) Boone County - Ethan Haynes and company will have a much better season this year than the previous 2.

8) Beechwood - Toebbe is a force and if they have quality guard play could rise in the rankings.

9) Ryle - top two scorers gone but a talented junior class is going to get thrown in the fire and I think they'll be better than expected.

10) Conner - life after the Hemmerichs...quieter gym and we will see who steps up in their place.

Good list. Can't wait for the 1st Cooper/Cov Cath matchup.

I hope the order stays the same just like it did last year until the regional finals and the Cooper Jags pull the "upset" again. CCH will be a challenge and should be the favorite with CJ and Jake but Cooper already had 3 of 5 starters returning (albeit the 2 that graduated were absolutely great) but when you add in the 3 newcomers (2 from HC and 1 from CCH) Cooper will very very deep.

Another team to keep one eye on is Boone. I watched 3 of their players most of this summer and I will tell you that Ethan Haynes game has been elevated to a very high degree that most people are not aware of.

I hope the order stays the same just like it did last year until the regional finals and the Cooper Jags pull the "upset" again. CCH will be a challenge and should be the favorite with CJ and Jake but Cooper already had 3 of 5 starters returning (albeit the 2 that graduated were absolutely great) but when you add in the 3 newcomers (2 from HC and 1 from CCH) Cooper will very very deep.

Another team to keep one eye on is Boone. I watched 3 of their players most of this summer and I will tell you that Ethan Haynes game has been elevated to a very high degree that most people are not aware of.

I wasn't aware of this so it will be interesting to pay closer attention to them to see if they can once again be true 9th Region contenders, and legitimately get their name back into the discussion. I hope so as I'm all for seeing a strong region with multiple teams capable of contending for the crown. The more the merrier.

I know Houston will contribute but do u think the other two transfers will help out that much?

Houston and another player from HC. Michael Spencer who transferred from CCH will add some toughness off the bench IMO. WIth AK, Runion, McNeil and Walters (who was a part time starter last year) I think Cooper can challenge for another run at the 9th crown.

If Mayer decides to play Bb for CCH there could be another great finish in the region. Newport and Boone are sleepers IMO too.

Micheal Spencer did not play on Covington Catholics JV team from someone I talked to , Both Mayer's are playing basketball per Covington Catholics JV coach . They both were at picture night Wed evening . Not sure how you can help Cooper's varsity when you couldn't play for Covington Catholics jv team ? Not sure the group you mentioned can match up with Fredrick , Ruthsatz , Walters , Davin , Mayer , Mayer , Thelen , Deere every kid listed but Ruthsatz is 6-4 or taller. Going to be fun watching Sullivan and Ruthsatz . If Covington Catholic reached the finals this will be Ruthsatz six straight finals of the regional in seven years guy has done the best coaching job in the state year in year out . If Sullivan can knock off Covington Catholic it will be an upset . Losing Hendrix and McNeil are major . Most nights those two players were the best basketball players for a Cooper .