Top 15 Players in the State 2017-18

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do y'all think has the best chance to end up on an NBA roster? Maybe Tandy?

David Johnson. He's a gifted athlete, but has an incredible skill set. Too many kids get hyped based on upside or "what if". David is highly skilled, very athletic, and has the IQ to match.

Too many kids do get over hyped on "what if" instead of stats and production overall. I wonder why nobody wants to post stats? Let's put some some facts with opinions.

Too many kids do get over hyped on "what if" instead of stats and production overall. I wonder why nobody wants to post stats? Let's put some some facts with opinions.

Stats aren't facts. If they were, the 15th and 16th region would be an NBA pipeline. Competition level factors heavily in stats. Averaging 15 in the 6th, 7th, or 11th is like averaging 25 in most of the other regions. Those are facts.

Guest 11th insider
Stats aren't facts. If they were, the 15th and 16th region would be an NBA pipeline. Competition level factors heavily in stats. Averaging 15 in the 6th, 7th, or 11th is like averaging 25 in most of the other regions. Those are facts.

This is the best thing I've read on here in months! So true!

Competition level is a factor with stats but just because a kid doesn't play in one the top regions doesn't mean he isn't the top player in the state.

Stats are only one factor in determining a player but it is a factor that shouldn't be overlooked.

Competition level is a factor with stats but just because a kid doesn't play in one the top regions doesn't mean he isn't the top player in the state.

Stats are only one factor in determining a player but it is a factor that shouldn't be overlooked.

Here is the thing about stats that you have to put in perspective. There are kids that score 25 points per game that end up perhaps at D3 schools and there are kids who average 12 PPG who end up at a D1 school. If you play on a team that has several players that spread scoring around versus another player who lacks any other real scoring threats that kid is counted on to score more. But that does not make him the better player. As far as pure talent goes, the most obvious factor to me is what serious offers or where a kid signs to go play at the next level. College coaches recruit the best kids and usually the higher in the food chain you end up at the next level is pretty indicative of your talent. Those coaches are paid to evaluate and lose their hefty salaries when they miss on their evaluations. The exception is that if you are naming the best high school player which some kids talent playing in the state of KY allows them to be a very exceptional HS player that will not translate at the next level. So it depends on what you mean by best players. I tend to look at where they are going to play at the next level as the most clear objective factor.

So here are the top 15 IMO. I have seen all the players in high school action, many in AAU, and the level of their recruitment says it all.

1A- David Johnson- UL... Clear favorite to win Mr. Basketball in 2019. Special Talent..Reminds me of Milt Wagner- Labradford Smith... Four Star player who has the chance to start for Pitino the first day he walks on campus....Magic's best player regardless of age.

1B- CJ Fredrick- Iowa ( still wish he would of chose XU )....Its his to lose Mr Basketball 2019. . Sky is the ceiling for this do it all combo guard. Scores at all three levels but his 3 point shooting sets him way apart.....Iowa is getting the next Kirk Hinrich. Shot the ball as well as any prospect in the country and defense really has improved this summer.

3 Zion Harmon- Might go down is the states biggest best draw since Richie Farmer - Rex Chapman..Tenn has offered... had a monster summer expect more and more from this mini Chris Jackson ...Lock for 2021 Mr. Basketball and State Champ.

4. KyKY Tandy- Florida- Oklahoma offers do not come around the state often. Strong physical guard who gets in the lane at ease. Crafty - shifty the number 2 player in the state in the 2019 class.

5. Justin Powell- Best player in the 2020 class. I love this kid - as does Chris Mack with a Xavier offer. I really believe this kid will be the states Next McDonald All American with two more years of development. Great year for the prestigious Atlanta Celtics. has sneaky athleticism.

6- Jake Walter- Xavier ... Hes Huge Period. Saw him in the spring - summer and he has really improved. Looked like a project early on but was told he has really been working on his conditioning and it showed. Rebounding out of his space and scoring around rim you just cant help loving a kid the size of this beast. Showed a mean streak that I didn't see during school year. Nice summer for the prestigious Indiana Elite Program. Cant wait to watch him develop playing for the Muskies

7-Micheal Moreno - Big Ten offers...Does it all for Scott County ...rebounds, defends, passes, scores can argue hes the most valuable player in the state to his high school team. This Paul Peirce small forward will play high major basketball with another successful AAU YEAR. Hes a walking stat sheet stuffer .

8- Steven Fitzgerald- Big Strong Powerful Guard who seems to have been playing high school for six years since hes starting as a freshmen. Had an up and down year with the Louisville Magic with some huge games and then some games he disappeared. Played well in July which should help his stock. One thing is for sure he's always been able to shoot and score. The next step will be his handle and ability to make other players better on the next level.

9. Andrew Taylor- Furman Commit. Big pg who if Moreno isn't the most valuable player on his high school team in the state then it is Andrew for sure. Had a rough April Start on the new adidas team Vision 22 - left to the Louisville Magic and thrived. Had a monster July and Furman just maybe getting the steal of the state. Scores at a high level averaging 25 plus....and double figs on the Adidas circuit in July

10- Trevon Faulkner- NKU...John Brannen searched for toughness all spring and summer and he got it in spades with Trevon. The toughest- best defender in the state this kid can play for me anyplace anytime. Slasher who gets to the rim.. His offense might not covert to high major basketball but it sure will in the Horizon. He and Coopers Adam Kunkle were NKUs targets all summer and they got one of the two prized in state targets.

11- Jay Scrubbs- The states best athlete is who separates Trinity from the rest of the state. The upside this kid has is a joke and he is just a electric player. I could make the case for Hill or Kunkle in this spot but Jays ability to change the game with his blocks, defense, dunks was just too enticing. If he gets his jumper to go with his athleticism this kid could make a top 5 argument.

12. Adam Kunkel Belmont....... He along with Bellermines Sean McNeil- Indian State footballs Dante Hendrix led Cooper to the title game where Zion Harmon was just too tough. I just love his competitive spirit and drive. Adam had a great year for Cooper and the state tourney run put him on the map. Had a tough time this spring and summer on a Vision 22 team featuring UK recruit Jaxson Hayes and Louiville-Kansas-Uk target Romeo Langford. Being his first year on the circuit against high level athletes Adam struggled only averaging 6 points while shooting 35 percent from the field and low 20s from 3. Belmont showed their loyalty and held their commitment throughout and broke the hearts of NKU fans.

13. Trey Hill VCU-EKU Offer - High level player in the 2019 class. The next in the long line of PRP wings through the years. High high motor who can score at the rim with the best of them..6-4 long arms who if he develops a consistent three point shot the high major interest he has received from Butler- Purdue etc will turn into offers

14. Kyle Rode - NKU OFFER- One of the most talked about players in the state and is only a junior.This kid would be smart to pick NKU. He is a John Brannen type of kid. Smart, heady, team player with elite high school size. His lack of athleticism hurts him on the AAU circuit but bullies kids in HS Bball with his strength. Biggest year to date of his basketball career. Will he be the kid who just was bigger and stronger his whole life that lacked elite skill or the kid who continues to become a better athlete with a higher skill set to match his size and strength. Im betting on the later and he has a huge year for LCA.

15- Dontae Allen- NKU Offer.. Heard so much about this young man since he was a freshmen. Very tough player to evaluate. Watched three times in high school and was boxed in one twice and his high school coach had no clue what to run. I honestly felt bad for the kid as he gets no help at Pendleton County. AAU was a mess as he sat for Vision 22 and went to Hoop Dreams - Royals. High level high school scorer just did not get to see him get lots of minutes against elite competition. But with a John Brannen offer that's confirmation kid is big time.