NKY - Baseball Hotbed?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Simon Kenton team could get together and cure a disease and many people on BGP will find a way to tear them down. My god, Coach Roberts have them back in the state finals and your team is not. Give the Pioneers some credit!!

I haven't seen one person "tear down" SK on this thread. Just because several people share the same feeling on benefit of the draw, that's tearing them down? Nope. Heaven forbid someone has an opinion different from yours.

I haven't seen one person "tear down" SK on this thread. Just because several people share the same feeling on benefit of the draw, that's tearing them down? Nope. Heaven forbid someone has an opinion different from yours.

The fact of the matter is that the KHSAA sets the region matchups before the tourney and has no idea how it will stack up competition-wise. I don't know because I don't read the BGP basketball thread but is there this much complaining about the region matchups for the Sweet Sixteen. Fact of the matter is that the baseball postseason is a grind and, no matter what the draw, we should give credit to the teams, regardless of matchup opinions, who made it to the baseball Sweet Sixteen opening round and beyond. Yes. Some regions are tougher than others. Oh well. It takes a lot to make it to the state tourney opening round and beyond. On that note, GO PIONEERS!!! BRING IT HOME TO INDEPENDENCE!!!

Edited by GoIrish20

Totally agree. Forgive those of us who have opinions and ask questions about situations that might form those opinions. What ever happened to healthy dialogue and nobody getting their feelings hurt? Oh wait, I believe that is called "the world we live in."

Central KY would be in front of NKY IMO.

Over the last four years NKY teams have been runner up 4 times. Central Ky won the championship in 2015 with West Jessamine, but the other 3 year did not have a team in the semifinals. What is the argument for CKY teams being head of NKY teams?

Over the last four years NKY teams have been runner up 4 times. Central Ky won the championship in 2015 with West Jessamine, but the other 3 year did not have a team in the semifinals. What is the argument for CKY teams being head of NKY teams?

The draw has a good bit to do with that.

I don't know because I don't read the BGP basketball thread but is there this much complaining about the region matchups for the Sweet Sixteen.

Yes. It is much much worse and it happens every year like clockwork. Shoot, they start fussing about the draw less than an hour after the pairings are announced. :lol2:

All any team can do is play the games they are schedule to play. SK came with one run from pushing the game to extra innings and two runs from winning the whole thing. Did they have an easier draw than PRP? Sure. Would it have mattered had they scored those two runs and won it all? Nope. Not one bit. Hundreds of other teams would have loved to have been playing today. Only two teams were able to. SK was one of them. Congrats on a fantastic season.

NKY has 3 regions so that certainly increases the chances that ONE of them will get to the Final 4.

I'm not using state tourney results when I give my thoughts. I'm basing it on overall area talent (teams and players). I just think CKY has more than NKY. Both are strong. I just lean towards CKY being a tad better. That's not a slight to NKY.

NKY has 3 regions so that certainly increases the chances that ONE of them will get to the Final 4.

I'm not using state tourney results when I give my thoughts. I'm basing it on overall area talent (teams and players). I just think CKY has more than NKY. Both are strong. I just lean towards CKY being a tad better. That's not a slight to NKY.

Also helps that Trinity (computer rated No. 1 by MaxPreps), PRP (eventual champ) and Scott County (top 5 all season) were all on same side of a bracket.

I mentioned it before, but pretty sure neither Marion (first State tourney EVER, was like 19-17 last year) nor SK would have had to go through another top-20 team to make it to the final.

McCracken had to go through Trinity and Scott County just to make it to the semis, where it ran into eventual champ.

McCracken's postseason path was the equivalent of being opposite the 6-A football super district and having to go through Male, X, T.

SK's baseball title-game path was more like, well, SK's football path when a Louisville team is not involved.

It's kind of like the same year when a public school volleyball team (Greenwood? one of the Oldhams?) finally made the state final (when the Louisville privates and NKY privates were all in the other bracket).

And like someone else said, NKY would probably be third behind Louisville and CKY (West Jessamine, Scott). A couple of good draws at State (when you do NOT have to go through the teams who are above you in the pecking order, so you don't have to worry about them beating you in Sweet 16/Elite 8/Final Four) doesn't change that.

Pretty sure final MaxPreps computer rankings, which DO factor in out of state games and are far LESS biased than human rankings (like the Coaches/PBR) will be flooded with Louisville and CKY teams and might have a NKY team thrown in.

Not taking anything away from SK's season or the program it has built. Solid bunch. No ego checks that I've heard of. Played right with PRP.

But to ignore the complete unbalance of the bracket is to put your head in the sand and to miss that big elephant in the room.

If this was the NCAA basketball tournament, at least there is a seeding that SHOULD set up good games along with way. With the KHSAA random baseball draw, it wouldn't have mattered much if some of the top (or bottom) regions had slightly different winners: The top bracket would still be weaker, even if the highest-rated team from each region successfully won the region title.

That's the downside of the blind draw.

Not a fan of blind draws in any sport for the state tourney. But it's funny, people complain endlessly about the draws in baseball, volleyball etc but yet the basketball tourney, which follows the same format and experiences the same issues is considered to be "the best state tourney in the country".