Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Northern Kentucky AP Representation

Featured Replies

I have read many times on this site where Northern Kentucky "is not represented well" in many state-wide recognition awards (most recently @Score Now! for the AP All-State teams unveiled today).

 

1. Is this simply a matter of not many representatives (say Associated Press (AP) representatives as an example) being in the NKY area?

 

2. Is it a matter of those able to vote in the NKY area just are not doing so? I recall @Jason Frakes stating that every member of the AP in the state could vote for Mr. Football. I assume the same is true for the in-season rankings, All-State teams and the like. And the "every members" come from AP newspapers, AP radio stations and AP TV Stations.

 

3. Or is it our BGP viewers want more NKY players recognized that are just below the actual recognized team?

 

BGPs has arguably its biggest populous from up in NKY. So which is it?

I guess my question is how many votes does it take to be on the 2nd Team or First Team?

 

It appears that NKY is well represented in the Honorable Mention department, just not on the two teams (which let's be honest is what we all most care about).

 

I guess the crux of the argument is would it matter if there was a second NKY vote?

Would this result in guys moving up to one of the teams or are those players just getting enough Statewide votes because of their merits that they are earning that spot?

There are NO AP votes that come from NKY thus there is no one to make a push to get guys recognized.

 

This has been stated many times over and over. It used to be an honor to be on this all state team, but not anymore because of the bias that you speak of. Most of the NKY kids that are recognized this year either have signed or are being actively recruited by Division 1 programs thus putting them on the list.

  • Author
There are NO AP votes that come from NKY thus there is no one to make a push to get guys recognized.

 

This has been stated many times over and over. It used to be an honor to be on this all state team, but not anymore because of the bias that you speak of. Most of the NKY kids that are recognized this year either have signed or are being actively recruited by Division 1 programs thus putting them on the list.

 

JOAT,

2 things:

 

1. Am I correct (to your knowledge) in how the AP appoints their voting. I mean every AP radio station, TV station and Newspaper gets a vote? So this must mean there are none of these in Northern KY. So I take it there are no incentives for the stations/newpapers in NKY to become affiliated with the AP. Correct? Money issue?

 

2. What can change to make this different? I'm not just asking you only, I'm asking all. If it isn't right, fair, whatever, what can change (realistically) to make this different? I'm not from there so I honestly don't know.

For years, the NKY area was represented in the AP by the writers for the Kentucky Post, which was operated by the larger Cincinnati Post - both of which ceased operation in 2006. In its last 5-or-so years of operation, the Kentucky Post was not much of a newspaper, in all honesty. I don't know whether or not it would have even had its own dedicated sports writer to vote in the AP.

 

In recent years, the Cincinnati Enquirer has had Jim Weber covering the NKY sports pretty much exclusively, with Rick Broering contributing as well. Jim Weber told me he found out late in the basketball season last year that he was eligible to vote in the Kentucky AP polls, and started to do so. I believe he was voting in the football polls as well this past fall. Broering is not eligible to vote.

 

Since television and radio news coverage in Northern Kentucky all comes from Cincinnati stations, they are not represented by any broadcasters in Kentucky AP polls. That leaves a single vote for the Northern Kentucky area in AP polls. I can't speak for any of the other areas of the state, but I would assume that in the larger cities like Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Ashland, and Owensboro there are probably votes coming from both AP writers and broadcasters alike - and from multiple broadcasters in some situations.

 

Also, Northern Kentucky has a dense enough population and enough schools that they are often times able to schedule essentially an entire season worth of games without having to travel "out of their own backyard", unlike many of the more rural county schools throughout the state. Louisville and Lexington also find themselves in that situation to a large degree (particularly Louisville), but again, you look at the number of AP voters in those areas...a newspaper in each of those cities, 3 televised news broadcasts in Louisville, and I believe 3 televised news broadcasts in Lexington as well. I'm not sure if there are AP eligible radio broadcasters in those areas, but those would also be added in the favor of Louisville & Lexington if they have those.

 

 

Now, all that said, I have to say that as far as the AP All-State team goes, NKY just doesn't add up this year. The only seniors in NKY that I can think of who had Division 1 FBS offers where Dante Hendrix, Hunter Ziegelmeyer, Tanner Morgan, and Derrick Barnes. There are a few more juniors who are developing and have early offers from some D1 programs, but still...three of those four seniors were named to the All-State first and second teams, and the fourth received an honorable mention. I can't hold that against the AP voters.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

  • Author
For years, the NKY area was represented in the AP by the writers for the Kentucky Post, which was operated by the larger Cincinnati Post - both of which ceased operation in 2006. In its last 5-or-so years of operation, the Kentucky Post was not much of a newspaper, in all honesty. I don't know whether or not it would have even had its own dedicated sports writer to vote in the AP.

 

In recent years, the Cincinnati Enquirer has had Jim Weber covering the NKY sports pretty much exclusively, with Rick Broering contributing as well. Jim Weber told me he found out late in the basketball season last year that he was eligible to vote in the Kentucky AP polls, and started to do so. I believe he was voting in the football polls as well this past fall. Broering is not eligible to vote.

 

Since television and radio news coverage in Northern Kentucky all comes from Cincinnati stations, they are not represented by any broadcasters in Kentucky AP polls. That leaves a single vote for the Northern Kentucky area in AP polls. I can't speak for any of the other areas of the state, but I would assume that in the larger cities like Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Ashland, and Owensboro there are probably votes coming from both AP writers and broadcasters alike - and from multiple broadcasters in some situations.

 

Also, Northern Kentucky has a dense enough population and enough schools that they are often times able to schedule essentially an entire season worth of games without having to travel "out of their own backyard", unlike many of the more rural county schools throughout the state. Louisville and Lexington also find themselves in that situation to a large degree (particularly Louisville), but again, you look at the number of AP voters in those areas...a newspaper in each of those cities, 3 televised news broadcasts in Louisville, and I believe 3 televised news broadcasts in Lexington as well. I'm not sure if there are AP eligible radio broadcasters in those areas, but those would also be added in the favor of Louisville & Lexington if they have those.

 

 

Now, all that said, I have to say that as far as the AP All-State team goes, NKY just doesn't add up this year. The only seniors in NKY that I can think of who had Division 1 FBS offers where Dante Hendrix, Hunter Ziegelmeyer, Tanner Morgan, and Derrick Barnes. There are a few more juniors who are developing and have early offers from some D1 programs, but still...three of those four seniors were named to the All-State first and second teams, and the fourth received an honorable mention. I can't hold that against the AP voters.

CWB,

That's better than I have every heard it said. Thanks for your time to do that.

 

So out of the 20 AP voters that consistently vote right now (I base that off of the in season football polls), NKY has 1 of 20 or 5% of the vote in their backyard.

 

That's a lot of weight for those 20 reporters.

CWB,

That's better than I have every heard it said. Thanks for your time to do that.

 

So out of the 20 AP voters that consistently vote right now (I base that off of the in season football polls), NKY has 1 of 20 or 5% of the vote in their backyard.

 

That's a lot of weight for those 20 reporters.

 

No problem. I know a lot of the state sees the NKY folks as whiners, and there are certainly a lot of times when the folks from outside NKY are right about that, but I also think there is a relatively legitimate gripe when it comes to this issue. It's no one's "fault" to speak of, but it's tough to say that there isn't a bias built into the way the AP polls work within the state.

 

What's unfortunate is the fact that there isn't really much hope for adding AP votes in NKY to level the paying field a bit, because with the market for newspapers as it is, the Cincinnati Enquirer is struggling to keep afloat enough as it is, and trying to start a newspaper right across the river is just unrealistic. That, and there isn't ever going to be a need to start a FIFTH television news affiliate in Greater Cincinnati just for the sake of covering Northern Kentucky. I guess someone could maaaybe make a stab at starting a radio news broadcast from NKY, but I just don't see it happening.

No problem. I know a lot of the state sees the NKY folks as whiners, and there are certainly a lot of times when the folks from outside NKY are right about that, but I also think there is a relatively legitimate gripe when it comes to this issue. It's no one's "fault" to speak of, but it's tough to say that there isn't a bias built into the way the AP polls work within the state.

 

What's unfortunate is the fact that there isn't really much hope for adding AP votes in NKY to level the paying field a bit, because with the market for newspapers as it is, the Cincinnati Enquirer is struggling to keep afloat enough as it is, and trying to start a newspaper right across the river is just unrealistic. That, and there isn't ever going to be a need to start a FIFTH television news affiliate in Greater Cincinnati just for the sake of covering Northern Kentucky. I guess someone could maaaybe make a stab at starting a radio news broadcast from NKY, but I just don't see it happening.

 

Again, though, when it comes to NKY having a legitimate gripe...this year's AP All-State team is not the place to try to gripe about things. That list of players looked good to me.

  • Author
No problem. I know a lot of the state sees the NKY folks as whiners, and there are certainly a lot of times when the folks from outside NKY are right about that, but I also think there is a relatively legitimate gripe when it comes to this issue. It's no one's "fault" to speak of, but it's tough to say that there isn't a bias built into the way the AP polls work within the state.

 

What's unfortunate is the fact that there isn't really much hope for adding AP votes in NKY to level the paying field a bit, because with the market for newspapers as it is, the Cincinnati Enquirer is struggling to keep afloat enough as it is, and trying to start a newspaper right across the river is just unrealistic. That, and there isn't ever going to be a need to start a FIFTH television news affiliate in Greater Cincinnati just for the sake of covering Northern Kentucky. I guess someone could maaaybe make a stab at starting a radio news broadcast from NKY, but I just don't see it happening.

 

Again, though, when it comes to NKY having a legitimate gripe...this year's AP All-State team is not the place to try to gripe about things. That list of players looked good to me.

I think that is a pretty spot on assessment of the current status of NKY AP issues.

 

I too think the All State teams are well done. And I would say that even if a few of my Purples didn't make the list.

 

The good thing for NKY is BGPs. You NKYers may or may not get a fair shake with the AP but I think it is fair to say that you certainly do on BGP and the All BGP team!

Maybe the problem is that one AP writer is just not working hard enough??????? At least this is the reason That NKY 6A can not compete for a state championship................... At least that what they are told. They need to work harder to be competitive

All State representation by School

-Of note, 2 schools have a player holding all state honors for more than one position

 

201 all state spots NKY represented 9 spots from 7 teams

 

[table=width: 500]

[tr] [td] Graves County [/td] [td] 10 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Bowling Green [/td] [td] 7 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Pulaski County [/td] [td] 6 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Corbin [/td] [td] 6 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Belfry [/td] [td] 6 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Williamsburg [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Owensboro [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Mayfield [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Trinity [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Hopkinsville [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Casey County [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Shelby County [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Scott County [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Madison Central [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Central [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Lexington Lafayette [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] John Hardin [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Christian County [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Pineville [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Middlesboro [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Madison Southern [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville St Xavier [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville DuPont Manual [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Johnson Central [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Harlan County [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Elizabethtown [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Danville [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Caldwell County [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Bell County [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Whitley County [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Southwestern [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] South Warren [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] South Oldham [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] South Laurel [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Somerset [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Ryle [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Russellville [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Raceland [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Marshall County [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Waggener [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Ballard [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Lexington Catholic [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Glasgow [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Franklin-Simpson [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Cooper [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Central Hardin [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Boyle County [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Western Hills [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Wayne County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Warren East [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Trigg County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Simon Kenton [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Russell [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Pikeville [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Perry County Central [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Paintsville [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Paducah Tilghman [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Owensboro Catholic [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] North Hardin [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Muhlenberg County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Metcalfe County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Mercer County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Meade County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] McCracken County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Lynn Camp [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Male [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Kentucky Country Day [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Fern Creek [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Doss [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville DeSales [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Louisville Christian Academy [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Lincoln County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Lexington Tates Creek [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Lexington Bryan Station [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Knox Central [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Hazard [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Harlan [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Edmonson County [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Covington Holy Cross [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Covington Catholic [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Conner [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Collins [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Christian Academy-Louisville [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Beechwood [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td] Ashland Blazer [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [/tr]

[/table]

Edited by BubbyKY
data had duplicate entry, rodrigo garcia and roddy garcia

Maybe the problem is that one AP writer is just not working hard enough??????? At least this is the reason That NKY 6A can not compete for a state championship................... At least that what they are told. They need to work harder to be competitive ��������������

 

Say what?

CWB,

That's better than I have every heard it said. Thanks for your time to do that.

 

So out of the 20 AP voters that consistently vote right now (I base that off of the in season football polls), NKY has 1 of 20 or 5% of the vote in their backyard.

 

That's a lot of weight for those 20 reporters.

 

What is the combined population of Kenton, Campbell, and Boone relative to the rest of the state?

 

Looks like about 8.7% (per the 2015 census estimates). I don't think NKY carries a lot of weight for those 20 reporters, but is under represented.

The NKY 6A are often told they can't win a state championship because they don't work hard enough.

The NKY 6A are often told they can't win a state championship because they don't work hard enough.

 

Don't work hard enough? What the heck does that mean? I would venture to say that issues such as the population, wide dispersion of talent and Boone Co. not allowing open enrollment have far more to do with the 6A situation in NKY. Fail to see, nor do I understand what "Needs to work Harder" mean? I'd venture to say that the NKY schools work just as "hard", again, whatever that means, as the Louisville and Lexington schools. If you want to state NKY may not have an "abundance" of high rated talent then you certainly have an argument to support the limited success issue.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.