Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bowling Green 62 Franklin Simpson 59

Featured Replies

BG scored the first 9 points of the game, but FS took over and dominated the rest of the game up until about the last 5 minutes. FS led by as many as 15 and by 13 a couple minutes into the 4th before the Purples took over.

 

Wilson hit a pair of FT with 20 seconds left, and after the Wildcats missed a front end on the bonus, Taylor hit 2 more FT for the final margin. FS got a shot at the buzzer, but it didn't fall.

 

Lovan had 31.

Wow...what a game, wish I could have been there. F-S is really good, I knew that would be a test for DG and the Purples. Sounds like an awesome 4th quarter.

I don't know much about teams in that part of the state but doesn't Franklin-Simpson have a player that is considered high level D-1?

At one point, it really looked like FS was gonna run away with it until FS did get sloppy and allowed BG back in it. Amazing crowd at Wildcat Gym. I really hope these 2 play again, more then likely Region championship @ WKU. Disappointing as a Cats fan, Overall WHAT A GAME!

Franklin led by 13 with just over 4 minutes left. Bowling Green outscored them 20-4 down the stretch. They forced the ball out of Lovan's hands and the only three free throws the Wildcats missed in the game were the final three they shot - none were by Lovan who had all seven free throws they made. That lead, at home, with Bowling Green playing rather poorly for much of the night - I don't think they're going to get that good a shot again. And if they do, I have a hard time believing they'll handle the pressure much better.

 

Basically in their two games against Bowling Green they blinked once, but it was enough.

BTW, one stat I had looked up in potential prep should Bowling Green have lost: they have won (now) their last 61 games against 4th Region competition other than Warren Central. They've now won 37 straight region games overall. While Franklin appears capable, and Greenwood is a dark horse, I just can't see anyone taking this Purple team down inside the region. They've just been too good against teams that weren't Warren Central, and with Central put out to pasture, there's just no one else that has managed to stand toe to toe and get a win in so, so long.

BTW, one stat I had looked up in potential prep should Bowling Green have lost: they have won (now) their last 61 games against 4th Region competition other than Warren Central. They've now won 37 straight region games overall. While Franklin appears capable, and Greenwood is a dark horse, I just can't see anyone taking this Purple team down inside the region. They've just been too good against teams that weren't Warren Central, and with Central put out to pasture, there's just no one else that has managed to stand toe to toe and get a win in so, so long.

 

Franklin more or less shot themselves in the foot alot in that 4th quarter. Honestly FS probably shouldve won this one had they hit their FTs

Really lackluster display from the purples and maybe a worrisome one. Not a ton of cohesion offensively for most of the game and a clear inability to stop the ball in transition. However, this is what makes the purples so scary. They played hard for a total of 4 minutes tonight, the last 4 of the game and they still won. They are very clearly 17-25 points better than franklin but they let off the gas and coast too much some times. Almost cost them tonight, and it's the "we'll just flip the switch when we need too" mentality that gets good teams beat in march. There aren't many teams in the state if any who can turn it on and shut a teams water off quite like BG. Play consistently hard for 4 quarters and I don't think there is a team in the state that can beat them. Coast and take it easy and they can be beat on any night.

Franklin more or less shot themselves in the foot alot in that 4th quarter. Honestly FS probably shouldve won this one had they hit their FTs

 

They hit 7 of 10. The two issues they had were:

 

1) They missed the last three, which they badly needed. Two misses when they were up one and would have gone back up by three and missing the front end of a one and one when they were down one.

 

2) They didn't shoot nearly enough of them. Two guys went to the line for Franklin. One was Lovan, who was a perfect 7/7. The other was Payne, who went 0/3. Payne entered the night as a 35% free throw shooter. They shot 20 less free throws than BG and the biggest ones of the night were not by Lovan.

 

Even if Payne had hit half his free throw attempts (and let's say for argument's sake that would have included the front end of the bonus he missed), they'd have still been vulnerable. And that would have been an improvement on his average. They simply got the ball to the wrong guy. And instead of making Bowling Green foul them when they were up one, they tried to score. I'm not saying I blame them, but I am saying you'd better KNOW you're gonna hit those shots. It's the only reason Payne even had the ball.

Really lackluster display from the purples and maybe a worrisome one. Not a ton of cohesion offensively for most of the game and a clear inability to stop the ball in transition. However, this is what makes the purples so scary. They played hard for a total of 4 minutes tonight, the last 4 of the game and they still won. They are very clearly 17-25 points better than franklin but they let off the gas and coast too much some times. Almost cost them tonight, and it's the "we'll just flip the switch when we need too" mentality that gets good teams beat in march. There aren't many teams in the state if any who can turn it on and shut a teams water off quite like BG. Play consistently hard for 4 quarters and I don't think there is a team in the state that can beat them. Coast and take it easy and they can be beat on any night.

 

I think both statements are too strong. Teams like Fern Creek, Trinity, CovCath..... these teams I think can match BG best for best. There aren't many teams that can beat them, but I believe there are teams that can. On the flip side, they are plenty of teams on their schedule that they can do exactly this to and it not even be close. If they were atrocious for most of the night I believe they'd only be in danger for 3-4 more games on the rest of their schedule. Even then I'm not certain they'd really be in danger. Greenwood is probably the only game I'd even remotely sweat the rest of the way until they hit the region tournament.

Went to the game tonight. Purples EXTREMELY fortunate to get the Win. Agree with Dragon fire, if Franklin was going to beat them tonight was the night.

 

Lovan was a man tonight. Usually is but BG played perhaps their worst game tonight and still won. I don't see BG playing that poorly again if given another chance for these two squads to meet.

 

Zion Harmon was hampered tonight with something other than injury. Seemed out of sinc with his teammates. Hopefully, that gets corrected.

 

D'Angelo struggled along with rest of Purples the ENTIRE 2nd and 3rd quarters.

 

Getting a win like this is huge because they should have had an "L" No way Harmon, Wilson struggle that bad against Franklin again if given the chance.

 

Good atmosphere tonight.

Question for Purple fans or observers of BG basketball this season.

 

Does Harmon play better against non District/Region teams? Seems like he has struggled against some of the local teams like Greenwood and tonight Franklin-Simpson. Has he struggled against other local teams or just normal off nights that teenagers have from time to time?

Bowling Green is a 4th quarter team. I would like to see the differential for the season.

Harmon just seemed out of the loop tonight. I hope im reading too much into it. Teams know about him and are putting their best defender chasing him all night. He will adjust. I think he just had a bad night. Although his shot was off, he still has the best handles you've ever seen for a kid his age.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.