Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

State Championship Tie?

Featured Replies

There has been one tie for a KY High School State Football Championship.

 

Without cheating, can you name the year, class, teams or head coaches involved?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1971 in the biggest class (AAA)

 

Without looking, I think it was the old Thomas Jefferson High School and Butler.

 

Can't remember the score and no clue on the coaches

  • Author

1971 is right

AAA is right

Thomas Jefferson is right

Flaget is right

1971 is right

AAA is right

Thomas Jefferson is right

Flaget is right

 

I just cheated and looked up the answer so I won't post anymore. But I can't say I'd ever heard of either of the two coaches.

  • Author

Isn't one of them the mayor of Lexington? :D

  • Author

OK I hadn't heard of them either.

 

Jim Gray was the Thomas Jefferson coach and Pete Compise was the Flaget coach. The score was 7-7.

 

 

The real question here is why didn't they apply the tie breaker rules to this game?

Ill take a guess and say: darkness

  • Author
Ill take a guess and say: darkness
Not a bad guess, but the game was played at Old Cardinal Stadium, so they had lights.

The field was in miserable condition, and the weather was even worse. They decided a tie was the admirable thing to do.

OK I hadn't heard of them either.

 

Jim Gray was the Thomas Jefferson coach and Pete Compise was the Flaget coach. The score was 7-7.

 

 

The real question here is why didn't they apply the tie breaker rules to this game?

 

According to the KHSAA list of past champs, it says that was before the NFHS tiebreaker rules came into play.

According to the KHSAA list of past champs, it says that was before the NFHS tiebreaker rules came into play.

 

Actually they had already been employed in the 60's for playoff games. It was a point system based on Yardage, deepest penetration, etc. discussed it on another thread.

 

I guess they felt that the actual championship shouldn't come down to that.

  • Author

@Hatz is right they had a convoluted tie breaker system. I was wondering about the decision not to use it for that game.

 

Maybe be you're right and the stakes were too high to apply it there.

They wanted everyone to have a trophy....;)

They wanted everyone to get a trophy...;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.