Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central Adds 7 Footer From Germany

Featured Replies

I literally laughed out loud.

 

:lol2: I love Avery. What's he doing these days? Haven't seen him since college days.

  • Replies 82
  • Views 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first thought after watching video is that he isn't legitimately 7'.

 

With his shoes off he is 6'11.55 inches. You dont play with your shoes off though. He is still growing as well. Is expected to cap out around 7'1 to 7'3'' He is huge to say the least. Also very strong and very athletic, but like I said, he is raw and still learning the American game.

:lol2: I love Avery. What's he doing these days? Haven't seen him since college days.

 

Teaching at the middle school. He gave up coaching last year after doing it about 20 years. He is watching his oldest son, Mason, play ball at JC. Mason is a freshman and looks just like ol' big stick did

With his shoes off he is 6'11.55 inches. You dont play with your shoes off though. He is still growing as well. Is expected to cap out around 7'1 to 7'3'' He is huge to say the least. Also very strong and very athletic, but like I said, he is raw and still learning the American game.

 

Ah it's hard to tell from the videos but he doesn't look that tall. I'll take your word for it.

 

The coaches need to work him out with the pads to get him use to standard 15th Region big men...6'4", 270.

Teaching at the middle school. He gave up coaching last year after doing it about 20 years. He is watching his oldest son, Mason, play ball at JC. Mason is a freshman and looks just like ol' big stick did

 

Awesome. I'll be on the lookout for him at JC games this season :thumb:

Ah it's hard to tell from the videos but he doesn't look that tall. I'll take your word for it.

 

The coaches need to work him out with the pads to get him use to standard 15th Region big men...6'4", 270.

 

lol...the video is not the best quality and you cant get a good idea of his height from it I agree. There is a pic on the jc website with him and Shane Hall back to back. Shane was measured at Alice Lloyd at 6'10'' last season. Leon had just started school when that pic was taken and has put about 15 lbs of muscle since. He is still considerably taller than Shane. I'm 6'5'' and he dwarf's me.

I love it and I wish him success at Johnson Central. He could ensure postseason success for Johnson Central in a major way.

 

Now I will sit back and see if the folks mad about Cordia and how their basketball players can somehow find Cordia are equally upset about a German finding Johnson Central to play basketball.

 

If he's a one year foreign exchange student, then in no way are the two situations the same. Schools everywhere get those kids all the time, and sometimes they are good at some sport. If it's beyond that, I'd be interested in hearing more about it for sure.

If he's a one year foreign exchange student, then in no way are the two situations the same. Schools everywhere get those kids all the time, and sometimes they are good at some sport. If it's beyond that, I'd be interested in hearing more about it for sure.

 

To each his own. I expect him to graduate from Johnson Central or move on to a prep school or something like that. Again, I repeat, he made it clear himself that he is here to play basketball and go to school.

If he's a one year foreign exchange student, then in no way are the two situations the same. Schools everywhere get those kids all the time, and sometimes they are good at some sport. If it's beyond that, I'd be interested in hearing more about it for sure.

 

At the end of the day it is fine to get basketball players from Germany but not cool to get basketball players from the Bronx. Duly noted.

To each his own. I expect him to graduate from Johnson Central or move on to a prep school or something like that. Again, I repeat, he made it clear himself that he is here to play basketball and go to school.

 

I don't know about now, but when I was in high school the foreign exchange program students were here for a school year, then they went back home. We had a kid from Germany and a lady I believe from Argentina. Frank was a soccer player, but since at that time we didn't have soccer, he played football and was the kicker. If this kid is here and plans on staying, then I think it's probably through something other than the foreign exchange program, but that's just a guess on my part.

At the end of the day it is fine to get basketball players from Germany but not cool to get basketball players from the Bronx. Duly noted.

 

If that's what you got from my post, then I can't help you.

If that's what you got from my post, then I can't help you.

 

Anyone mad/upset/disgruntled/bothered by players at Cordia should have the same issue with Johnson Central. They are the exact same situations no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Anyone mad/upset/disgruntled/bothered by players at Cordia should have the same issue with Johnson Central. They are the exact same situations no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

 

That very well might be, I don't know but foreign exchange student programs have existed for a while and this type of thing happens. It could be happenstance and completely innocent, but in today's culture/climate it definitely raises questions. If it's not happenstance and innocent, no matter who then fire away at them for sure and I will be right there too.

The Johnson Central and Cordia situations are totally different. The German at Johnson Central is on a J1 Foreign Exchange Visa. He gets one year. Cordia players stay for 4 or more years, gets housed, etc. The German's family had to pay to get him over here, house him, feed him, etc. He is here for the experience and must repeat the year when he returns home.

 

Lots of schools have foreign exchange kids in their program for various sports here and there. Cordia built an entire program out of kids that did not come through the foreign exchange commission and keeps them for 4 years on I20 Visa's. Two totally different things.

At the end of the day it is fine to get basketball players from Germany but not cool to get basketball players from the Bronx. Duly noted.

 

Personally, I think it would be okay to get one player from the Bronx...not 9 or 10. I think that is when it becomes an issue.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.