Rules ?

here is a weird one. Punt hits a kicking team player about the 22 yard line and bounces to about the 5. The returner picks it up and returns it to the 30 and fumbles and the kicking team recovers. The ball placed on the 22 yard line and awarded to the returning team. I asked multiple ref's I know and it was the correct call. Starange but true

here is a weird one. Punt hits a kicking team player about the 22 yard line and bounces to about the 5. The returner picks it up and returns it to the 30 and fumbles and the kicking team recovers. The ball placed on the 22 yard line and awarded to the returning team. I asked multiple ref's I know and it was the correct call. Starange but true

A rule that could be taken advantage of more often if coaches knew the rule. There is no risk to the returning team once the kicking team touches the ball but doesn't kill it.

If defense intercepts inside the 5 and their momentum carries them into the end zone where they are then tackled, what is the appropriate call. Safety, touchback, ball spotted at the point of interception?

Spotted where it was caught.

A rule that could be taken advantage of more often if coaches knew the rule. There is no risk to the returning team once the kicking team touches the ball but doesn't kill it.

Exactly, most people don't know of the first touch rule. Alot of times the kicking team will just touch the ball and not pick it up after a punt. I saw our team return one for a TD after that happened and the other Coach went ballistic.

Exactly, most people don't know of the first touch rule. Alot of times the kicking team will just touch the ball and not pick it up after a punt. I saw our team return one for a TD after that happened and the other Coach went ballistic.

I watched a kid from Cincy X do it to Covington Catholic in about 2005 or 2006. Smart move.

KInda like the randal cobb play where the kickoff did not go out of bounds and he stands out of bounds and then touches the ball. By rule, the ball is out of bounds and a penalty on the kicking team and the ball spoted at the 35 I think

In HS you can't return a kickoff or punt out of the end zone. Not sure about a short FG but I'm thinking No.

In HS rules, there is no difference between a FG and a punt, after it is kicked. Same rules apply.