September 22, 201610 yr Racism is alive and well in this country, it's just not overt, like it used to be. People who don't believe that are either walking around with blinders or are in denial. I'm not saying everyone is racist, I'm saying there is a lot more of it than many people want to believe. I can't say how to fix the problem, open honest dialog is without question the most important step. I never was prejudiced against anyone, but I think the thing that made me realize, without question, that we are all the same was serving and being in a combat zone. There is something about putting your life in the hands of another person, and accepting the responsibility for another person's life, that made me color blind. I honestly think that some of the countries that have the type of mandatory military training like Switzerland, Denmark, & Finland may be on to something.
September 22, 201610 yr Is it racism or stereotyping? What is the difference. I think we all have stereotypes, but not everyone is racist.
September 22, 201610 yr Author To me racism is belief that certain races are better or worse than another by their very nature, which leads you to make a decision or bias based on that. "ie Don't hire him he's black." Stereotyping is acknowledgement that the majority of representatives of a race portray some characteristic, either positive or negative, that has no impact on bias or decisions. "ie Black people are faster than white people." Is a statement that many people would use as a stereotype.
September 22, 201610 yr Within the last 4 years, we've been set back 100 years. Hyperbole. Within the last 50 years integration was forced on the country. Compared to other countries we are still a very young country that still has open wounds from actions that occurred decades ago.
September 22, 201610 yr Racism has been reignited over the last 4 years. People are unleashing any resentment they have built up. Not me, I'll let the ship sail without jumping on board. I feel the same way I do about all my black friends as I did 5 years ago. I will do whatever I can for them.
September 22, 201610 yr Is it racism or stereotyping? What is the difference. I think we all have stereotypes, but not everyone is racist. I think that's a cop out to hide racism...
September 23, 201610 yr Author My goal was not to politicize, but rather to have a healthy conversation about a real issue.
September 23, 201610 yr Please remember that political posts are not permitted on BGP. The challenge for us is to know what is political.
September 23, 201610 yr Author Here's a situation. That told me something about other people. At our tailgates we pass a lot of moonshine jars. Apple Pie, Lemon Drop, etc. We all drink from the same jars and pass them around. Our tailgate crew is pretty awesome. There are folks from other tailgates that will come over for a "tour" as we call it. Which is a drink of all 7 flavors. There were a couple of people (none of my crew) that checked out of a tour on us when we had black friends with us on a tour. That told me something about them, and they're not welcome anymore. Some people don't drink after others, that's fine, I understand that. I would challenge people to ask themselves, if you'll share a glass, who will you share it with?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.