Charles Hurt dies

LRCW

Hate to hear this, he was way too young. It does really make me feel old though as I keep seeing that goal tend over and over in my mind. RIP Charles "Atlas" Hurt.

I was there in Louisville. It happened right in front of me as I was sitting in that end on those doggone folding chairs. When he signed with UK I got over it a little. He was a great CAT. God Bless Charles' soul, his friends and family, BBN and Shelby County faithful.

I was there in Louisville. It happened right in front of me as I was sitting in that end on those doggone folding chairs. When he signed with UK I got over it a little. He was a great CAT. God Bless Charles' soul, his friends and family, BBN and Shelby County faithful.

CharlesHurttGoaltend-1978.JPG

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58139[/ATTACH]

That pic has been emblazoned in my memory for a long time. I do believe it was even put in the case with the trophy for a while. There's another pic of this that even shows a referee looking straight up at the basket and as I remember, he swallowed his whistle. I remember when Holmes faithful were walking in to get to their seats before the game started, I heard shouts of "go back to Ohio!"

EZ, were you there?

Hurt was the original Laettner to Holmes fans if my memory is correct. Didn't they throw a long pass that he caught at the foul line and turned and made a bucket to send it to OT?

yup

If the violation is called, the bucket counts, I believe back then it was a "T" for touching rim/and or net on a shot so Bulldogs get the 2 shots and the ball. I think the story is that two refs say they did not see it but I've seen a picture that has one ref looking straight up at the play.

Edited by OlDog75

That pic has been emblazoned in my memory for a long time. I do believe it was even put in the case with the trophy for a while. There's another pic of this that even shows a referee looking straight up at the basket and as I remember, he swallowed his whistle. I remember when Holmes faithful were walking in to get to their seats before the game started, I heard shouts of "go back to Ohio!"

EZ, were you there?

I was indeed and can still see the winning shot in overtime bounce on the rim and drop through.