July 17, 201610 yr When a person or group of people move to a new country, it is incumbent upon them to assimilate into the new society, not the other way around. Feeling oppressed and being oppressed are two different things. If they are not willing to assimilate into the new society, there's no anchor tied to their backside. Did they demand we follow their laws instead of ours? I don't think so. Your words. This is what we were answering. And, of course, there's my whole second paragraph that you didn't touch. Lastly, you might want to do one of the DNA tests sometime. You might be surprised how the "we" and "their" pronouns get a little mixed together and become interchanged.
July 17, 201610 yr Your words. This is what we were answering. And, of course, there's my whole second paragraph that you didn't touch. Lastly, you might want to do one of the DNA tests sometime. You might be surprised how the "we" and "their" pronouns get a little mixed together and become interchanged. I didn't ignore it. I asked if they wanted us to follow the laws in their original country. They didn't. You can argue all day, many of the Islamist's in France want Sharia Law and have stated such. If I move to a different country, I expect to learn their language and follow their laws. Period. Those that move to France, USA or any other country should expect the same.
July 18, 201610 yr Bringing up Native Americans is so tired. We had a bloody history and we won. The point is if you want to be apart of this country you assimilate.
July 18, 201610 yr Your words. This is what we were answering. And, of course, there's my whole second paragraph that you didn't touch. Lastly, you might want to do one of the DNA tests sometime. You might be surprised how the "we" and "their" pronouns get a little mixed together and become interchanged. I'm an American, my DNA doesn't state that.
July 18, 201610 yr Agenda meet facts. * Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2] As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse. Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig Wow, I would never have guessed those numbers. Kind of sobering.
July 18, 201610 yr Tell that to the Cherokee, Apache, Cheyenne, etc. Also, when it comes to the era of post-Native conquest, for immigrants that came and did not speak English, research shows that it usually took until the third generation for assimilation. The first generation kept most of their original customs and language, the second generation would be a mix and the third generation assimilated. I would think that's held consistent right up to the present.
July 18, 201610 yr I would think that's held consistent right up to the present. I think that it makes sense. For those demanding "assimilate now!" it might be interesting to go back and see if all of their ancestors did exactly that. My guess is no, unless you are 100% British.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.