Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baton Rouge Police Shooting

Featured Replies

  • Replies 190
  • Views 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Do officers keep liability insurance?

That guy is going to need it.

Body camera video:

 

 

 

 

Twitter

 

That dude walked??? My goodness... What a joke. One I’ve come to expect.

That dude walked??? My goodness... What a joke. One I’ve come to expect.

 

What in that video makes you believe he should have been charged?

What in that video makes you believe he should have been charged?

 

The video is inconclusive. We never saw Sterling with the gun in the video. We have to take the word of a fired officer and a suspended officer that Sterling had a gun on him and that they quickly managed to secure the gun in the vehicle amidst all that chaos. Seems plausible. Forget the part where in the early part of the video there doesn’t seem to be anything violent taking place until Salimino runs in gun drawn and places it to the suspect’s head and tells him he will kill him and then one minute later he kills him. I guess human perspective tells the tale on what people feel they see in the video.

 

Why did they fire him? That confuses me. He was cleared of any wrongdoing so why was he fired and the other officer suspended? Seems stupid to discipline innocent people. Shouldn’t try sue the Baton Rouge police department for wrongful termination? Where is the police union on this? They backed Officer Salimino this whole time. Shouldn’t they be filing a grievance for Salimino?

The video is inconclusive. We never saw Sterling with the gun in the video. We have to take the word of a fired officer and a suspended officer that Sterling had a gun on him and that they quickly managed to secure the gun in the vehicle amidst all that chaos. Seems plausible. Forget the part where in the early part of the video there doesn’t seem to be anything violent taking place until Salimino runs in gun drawn and places it to the suspect’s head and tells him he will kill him and then one minute later he kills him. I guess human perspective tells the tale on what people feel they see in the video.

 

Why did they fire him? That confuses me. He was cleared of any wrongdoing so why was he fired and the other officer suspended? Seems stupid to discipline innocent people. Shouldn’t try sue the Baton Rouge police department for wrongful termination? Where is the police union on this? They backed Officer Salimino this whole time. Shouldn’t they be filing a grievance for Salimino?

 

I would argue him not listening to orders escalated the situation, especially since they believed he may have a gun. He was tased and ordered to the ground and he stood up. He also moved his hands towards his waist area at least once. Any reasonable officer would not have wanted that to happen again. Hard to tell if he was reaching for a gun on the ground, but it certainly appears to me (through every video I've seen) that he was resisting. And obviously they saw a gun because one was recovered from him.

 

I agree that this video didn't add much, although apparently you can see the firearm on the windshield of the vehicle they were fighting in front of after the altercation.

 

I haven't watched closely enough to see if that's true, just read it somewhere else.

 

I also read that the DOJ Findings revealed Alton Sterling was arrested once before and it started similar to this encounter. He resisted and a pistol was found in his pocket.

 

I don't know exactly why they fired him. Havent read into it.

I would argue him not listening to orders escalated the situation, especially since they believed he may have a gun. He was tased and ordered to the ground and he stood up. He also moved his hands towards his waist area at least once. Any reasonable officer would not have wanted that to happen again. Hard to tell if he was reaching for a gun on the ground, but it certainly appears to me (through every video I've seen) that he was resisting. And obviously they saw a gun because one was recovered from him.

 

I agree that this video didn't add much, although apparently you can see the firearm on the windshield of the vehicle they were fighting in front of after the altercation.

 

I haven't watched closely enough to see if that's true, just read it somewhere else.

 

I also read that the DOJ Findings revealed Alton Sterling was arrested once before and it started similar to this encounter. He resisted and a pistol was found in his pocket.

 

I don't know exactly why they fired him. Havent read into it.

 

Looked like the last clear clip of Sterling he was standing and he had both his hands up. After he was shot you can see the cop(I’m guessing Lake II) who didn’t shoot him walk to his car and seemingly placed something in his car and walked back. When he got back Salimino was asking where the gun was and Lake II said it was in the car so I assumed that was what he placed in the car.

 

During the altercation you can’t see anything from the body cam to tell if he was reaching for the gun or not. I read that the autopsy showed Sterling had multiple drugs in his system including cocaine so it is clear his mindset was off from the beginning.

 

Watching the bodycam video and how Salimino acted and approached the situation it is easy to see why the situation escalated to a death taking place. He appeared ready to kill Sterling as soon as he stepped on the scene.

 

The discipline being enacted now is just confusing as hell to me.

He raised his hands once, but he also reached towards his waste and ignored their order to get on the ground after they tried to tase him.

 

You could also see him locking his arms when they had him pressed against the hood of the car.

 

Im not saying the officer handled it perfectly. But i don't think, based on what I've seen, it was murder either.

 

He was definitely on high alert, maybe because he was dealing with someone who pistol whipped someone (allegedly) and likely had a gun.

 

Add to that the fact that he's not doing what you tell him to do...

What in that video makes you believe he should have been charged?

 

I’ve learned discussing these matters with you is a waste of time.

I’ve learned discussing these matters with you is a waste of time.

 

Move along then. The same could be said for you.

 

I've seen several cases where the police were wrong and have posted them on here. Some choose to ignore those and say ignorant things like what you just said. We can disagree and still discuss things. I feel like PP92 and I were probably doing just that.

Being a police officer is a very difficult job that comes with inherit risks. Undeniable. I applaud all the good officers protecting and serving our communities. But there is a very distinct difference in being afraid and feeling threatened. Being afraid doesn't warrant pulling the trigger....may not apply totally to this case per say; but to some of the other incidents that we have seen.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.