2018 SG CJ Fredrick (Covington Catholic)

The most impressive thing about CJ is that he's an awesome kid! Very grounded, unreal work ethic, and great teammate. Didn't start on the freshman team his 9th grade year. Could have whined and cried to Uncle Joe to pull the trump card - but decided to become a gym rat and earn it. If he gets to 6'6"....look out! Bigger programs will be visiting CCH.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have come to learn that recruiting buzz and trends come in cycles. For a while a premium or the hot thing was how athletic a recruit was and being "positionless" was considered a good thing or even versatile. However, that has changed right now and the trend is how well does a recruit fit the PG spot, or the shooting guard, or the small forward, etc, etc.

The thing about CJ is people expect to see him grow more, perhaps even getting to 6'6", which he can perfectly fit the mold of the shooting 3 at most of the schools showing interest. Even now he is athletic enough and is such a good shooter that if he doesn't get that tall he could still fit the shooting guard role. Point being his shooting really defines him as someone clearly able to play either wing spot depending on how much he grows. Many kids are that size or have the potential to be, but they lack the elite shooting or lack the athleticism or ballhandling that CJ brings as a package. And it is believed he can defend either of those positions. That is what makes him a special recruit over other kids that perhaps are lacking in being identified as a pure 2 or 3.

Well done, sir. You are exactly right. Fans watch a 16 yr old kid and judge him as he is NOW vs how he will be 2 to 4 years down the road. CJ's dad is about 6'6. Uncle is about 6'5. CJ's arms are LONG. Chances are he's still growing. 6'5 to 6'6 seems not only reasonable but likely.

Like every high school junior he needs to continue to develop physically. From what I'm told CJ showed really strong PG skills against high-level competition this summer. Some schools see him running point or as a combo guard.

I know some question the Iowa offer because of the relationship between CJ's uncle and Iowa's head coach. Iowa's head coach has TONS of former players that have sons/nephews/neighbors that he could offer schollies to if he was just looking to throw a former player a bone. He needs players in order to continue to get PAID. CJ got an offer b/c Fran thinks CJ can help them win games.

I look forward to the first time CJ doesn't dominate or play well and we get the ol' "he can't play D1" post.

What should the expectations be for CJ this year? 15-20ppg? You say the first time he don't dominate you are waiting for the "he can't play D1 post". If he is a "D1" recruit then shouldn't he dominate most of the time at the NKY high school level? There have been a lot of good players dominate at the NKY high school level in the past that didn't go D1, and weren't D1 players. There is a lot of hype around him right now. Will he be able to live up to that hype? Are people going to put to much pressure on him to dominate every game? Is he capable of dominating every game? And where does CVH fall into all of this? Up until this year everything was all about how good CVH is and all his college offers. Is CVH now CCH's second option behind CJ? Does the offense now run thru CJ? CJ has a lot more D1 offers than CVH.

What should the expectations be for CJ this year? 15-20ppg? You say the first time he don't dominate you are waiting for the "he can't play D1 post". If he is a "D1" recruit then shouldn't he dominate most of the time at the NKY high school level? There have been a lot of good players dominate at the NKY high school level in the past that didn't go D1, and weren't D1 players. There is a lot of hype around him right now. Will he be able to live up to that hype? Are people going to put to much pressure on him to dominate every game? Is he capable of dominating every game? And where does CVH fall into all of this? Up until this year everything was all about how good CVH is and all his college offers. Is CVH now CCH's second option behind CJ? Does the offense now run thru CJ? CJ has a lot more D1 offers than CVH.

His numbers probably will not be impressive. His main focus will be being part of a team that wins.

15 to 20 points per game seems high for a few reasons. We don't see many kids average 20 and often those kids are on teams where they are option 1 and 2 if not also 3. Fortunately for CCH, they're not in that boat. You have a lot of scoring options on that team. So I wouldn't expect to see 15 to 20. He'll have big games but I don't foresee those numbers over a year.

Secondly, while CJ did have some big games this summer against top NIKE teams (i.e. 24 or so against the to team from Wisconsin which had a couple of D1 kids) I get the feeling that schools that have offered and schools that will offer at some point like him for his passing and ball skills as much as his outside shooting. If you're 6'5 or so with strong passing skills and you make the right pass AND you can shoot? You're a legit prospect. By the way, any one that paid attention saw all of this early in his frosh year.

I don't see CJ trying to go out and live up to the D1 hype. I still see CVH leading this team and CJ fully supporting that.

Scott is blessed to have a lot of nice options with one being a kid who will set the school scoring record this year and a 6'11 kid who they don't have to count on in order to win.

How do you feel CJ stacks up against Ben Weyer (NCC)as a player. Weyer 6-6 or 6-7. Averaged over 21ppg, 11.4 rebounds, shot 51% from the field, 46% from the 3, and 76% from the field. That's about as good of numbers as you will see. He also had other players on his team that could score, Moeves, Hall, and a few others. So he put up those numbers with also a good team around him, very similar to what CCH will be this season. Weyer completely dominated CCH in the regional final last year. CCH had no answer for him. Clearly by far the best player on the floor. He ended up at a D2 school. What does CJ have that Ben did not? Will he be as good as Ben, or Better? Is he capable of averaging a double double?

How do you feel CJ stacks up against Ben Weyer (NCC)as a player. Weyer 6-6 or 6-7. Averaged over 21ppg, 11.4 rebounds, shot 51% from the field, 46% from the 3, and 76% from the field. That's about as good of numbers as you will see. He also had other players on his team that could score, Moeves, Hall, and a few others. So he put up those numbers with also a good team around him, very similar to what CCH will be this season. Weyer completely dominated CCH in the regional final last year. CCH had no answer for him. Clearly by far the best player on the floor. He ended up at a D2 school. What does CJ have that Ben did not? Will he be as good as Ben, or Better? Is he capable of averaging a double double?

Your posts from the past tell me you watch and know basketball so I'm going to tell you something you already know.

They're two different players. CJ will be a 1/2 and maybe a 3 in college. Ben cannot play any of those positions. He's a stretch 4 in college.

Due to the lack of quality bigs in high school it's much easier to dominate as a 6'6 6'7 long-armed kid who can play inside. Ben was the reason NCC beat CCH in March. No answer for him. Heck, the best defender on Ben was CVH.

Apples and oranges.

That's a fair assessment.

And I do agree. CVH did the best job defending him.

CVH is a solid defender.

I'm excited to see the CCH vs Cooper game. Wish it was at a large gym than CCH. Gonna be tough to get into that game.

That's a fair assessment.

And I do agree. CVH did the best job defending him.

CVH is a solid defender.

I'm excited to see the CCH vs Cooper game. Wish it was at a large gym than CCH. Gonna be tough to get into that game.

It will be a great environment. Probably the best environment of the season. Thank goodness it's not at NKU.