Highlands 7 Covington Catholic 0

1st and 3rd. Pickoff attempt. Throw from F3.

Does that change the scenario any the fielder being up the line a little? I don't believe he has a right to be there without the ball but now the ball is coming from another direction. Clyde, whats the rule say? And I take out both interference and obstruction out of the mix.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does that change the scenario any the fielder being up the line a little? I don't believe he has a right to be there without the ball but now the ball is coming from another direction. Clyde, whats the rule say? And I take out both interference and obstruction out of the mix.

Before I answer this let me be clear that I am not saying anything about this play other than I see how the decision was made by a very good umpire. It's really easy to umpire looking at still pictures. Even then you are not seeing the entirety of the situation.

I am only commenting on the question about what a defender can do when receiving a throw.

Obstruction occurs when a defender is in the base path of a runner without the ball with no access to the base AND it causes the runner to change his path or slow down. So a defender can be in the path as long as he's not causing the runner to change his path.

Thanks. Odd for the 2B to be in the middle of that, particularly with a LH 1B. That has to be a SS cover situation and the 1B has to come "meet" the ball to A - get it sooner and B - create a better throwing lane.

I thought it was a multiple toss.

Catcher toward 2nd guessing SS, runner turned back, throw to 1B, runner heads to 2nd, 1B throws toward 2nd,apparently to 2B, and collision.

Is there video?

Raisor PITCHED a fantastic game. Didn't overthrow, didn't try to blast it by everybody. Kept the colonels off balance and missed barrels all night long.

Ole Krumps appears to have out coached himself again. Agree with Imhisdad, there was certainly a rumbling from the CCH faithful last night. But I don't know, maybe it's the turfs fault.... Tough to bunt on that stuff...

Before I answer this let me be clear that I am not saying anything about this play other than I see how the decision was made by a very good umpire. It's really easy to umpire looking at still pictures. Even then you are not seeing the entirety of the situation.

I am only commenting on the question about what a defender can do when receiving a throw.

Obstruction occurs when a defender is in the base path of a runner without the ball with no access to the base AND it causes the runner to change his path or slow down. So a defender can be in the path as long as he's not causing the runner to change his path.

Understand completely. Just was wondering the rule on what the fielder could do and you answered that. Thanks. Still thinks, based on pictures, it was a good call. :ylsuper:

Raisor PITCHED a fantastic game. Didn't overthrow, didn't try to blast it by everybody. Kept the colonels off balance and missed barrels all night long.

Ole Krumps appears to have out coached himself again. Agree with Imhisdad, there was certainly a rumbling from the CCH faithful last night. But I don't know, maybe it's the turfs fault.... Tough to bunt on that stuff...

I agree on all counts. Raisor was very good. Good luck to the the highlands boys tonight.

I get that sports, especially when your kids are playing, brings out passion.

However, it has to be controlled. You can't have parents confronting players. You can't have parents yelling things and names at a pitcher.

Parents simply have to learn how to maintain perspective.

I was disappointed with folks from both sides last night.

On a separate note let me take a minute to once again give a shout out to my guy Cam Pitzer. Kid had a great high school run in 2 sports. Team leader. Finalist for "That's My Boy" award. It certainly hasn't been without pain yet he's come through like a champ.

Heading to UC to pursue the science world.

Even though he's a Colonel he's got some #CougarPride blood in him.

Well done, CP.

A

My bad if you didn't comment on the play at second, I mis-allocated the comment.

However, as a pitcher, you would hit a guy with a curve ball if you don't want to get ejected, as I suspect warnings were issued after the pitch Pitzer threw behind the hitter.

I thought the umps showed almost to much patience last night. Krumps should have been tossed for his embarrassing display.

I pitched a lot in high school and college and played with a lot of other good pitchers and I have NEVER seen a pitcher intentionally hit a guy with a slow curve ball. Just does not happen...

I pitched a lot in high school and college and played with a lot of other good pitchers and I have NEVER seen a pitcher intentionally hit a guy with a slow curve ball. Just does not happen...

Only one who doesn't get it would ever think hitting a guy with a deuce is a good idea. You throw at someone to hurt and send a message. Hitting someone intentionally with a curveball would send the message that the pitcher is soft.

Only one who doesn't get it would ever think hitting a guy with a deuce is a good idea. You throw at someone to hurt and send a message. Hitting someone intentionally with a curveball would send the message that the pitcher is soft.

Are we seriously having this discussion about a HIGH SCHOOL GAME????? No wonder this country is the way that it is. All I can say is WOW. The only coward I witnessed all night was the parent who decided to get in the face of a high school kid like he was some tough guy. Now that is something for the kid, teammates and the school to really be proud of.

Almost reminded me of the moment when I saw a football player punch a cheerleader after a game.

Are we seriously having this discussion about a HIGH SCHOOL GAME????? No wonder this country is the way that it is. All I can say is WOW. The only coward I witnessed all night was the parent who decided to get in the face of a high school kid like he was some tough guy. Now that is something for the kid, teammates and the school to really be proud of.

Almost reminded me of the moment when I saw a football player punch a cheerleader after a game.

I don't think you quite understand what I was saying. Someone earlier stated that the pitcher hit someone on purpose with a curveball. I was simply saying that no one would hit someone on purpose with a curveball because the message it sends, isn't a good one for the pitcher.

I don't think you quite understand what I was saying. Someone earlier stated that the pitcher hit someone on purpose with a curveball. I was simply saying that no one would hit someone on purpose with a curveball because the message it sends, isn't a good one for the pitcher.

Gotcha. Honestly do not know why anyone in their right mind thinks that it is okay for any kid to throw at another one in a high school baseball game. Simply bush league and totally unacceptable.

Gotcha. Honestly do not know why anyone in their right mind thinks that it is okay for any kid to throw at another one in a high school baseball game. Simply bush league and totally unacceptable.

Agreed, it is just as ridiculous as claiming someone threw at someone when they throw a curveball.