East/West all stars

I know when it begins and I thought we had sent my membership in. It goes through the school. In March, I realized I had not received the emails I typically do. I started investigating and looking back at emails and it appeared it was never sent. I tried to contact someone but once I did get to discuss it, I was told it was too late. They said they close it down in March. I can send you all the emails I sent.

So how does a person that is being paid to be the Athletic Director drop the ball on this? Never mind, I already know the answer. I still cannot believe that Kevin Nieporte was not given this job because he at least would do everything needed and beyond.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, I believe you......you have 4-5 players that should be on these teams. I'm just putting this out there know so its fresh in everyone's mind.

Just curious though......why do you have the school do it, instead of just sending the check in yourself?

School pays for it and they handle it. I have to initiate it with them though and it didn't appear we did it this year. I swore we did it, but as you know, with all the administrative work, classes and making sure all the other coaches are up to speed, things can slip through the cracks. I thought it was all taken care of and found out to late this slipped through. Very unfortunate, but still don't understand why it's ever too late to sign up or why any kid that deserves recognition is dependent on a coach signing up for an association.

So how does a person that is being paid to be the Athletic Director drop the ball on this? Never mind, I already know the answer. I still cannot believe that Kevin Nieporte was not given this job because he at least would do everything needed and beyond.

Wasn't his fault. Unless you feel they should just renew these for their coaches every year. Hey, just came up with a suggestion for the suggestion box in the AD's office!

Wasn't his fault. Unless you feel they should just renew these for their coaches every year. Hey, just came up with a suggestion for the suggestion box in the AD's office!

Honestly think that is all a part of the job as is taking a look at each program on a regular basis.

So the question... The east west senior/junior game in NKY. Have players been nominated for that yet?

A few have but.........The 1st thing out of my mouth Saturday night at the start of the Awards Ceremony was.....all head coaches please respond to the email sent by Judi Paul asking for names of Jr's and Sr's for the Umpires Association All-Star game.

Okay. Yes, there was an internal misunderstanding and my registration was never sent. Once I realized I wasn't getting the email updates as usual, I tried to get in and was told it was too late. But I didn't realize this was part of that as well.

One thing I never really understood though...why is it ever too late to join? And why do you have to be a part of the committee to give a student athlete an award they may deserve. Shouldn't all players be eligible for an all-state nomination, regardless if their coach signed up for an association or not?

If a coach isn't part of the association to "sell" their players to the other association members, how do you think those teams in the other regions know who from each region to select? IMO it's all a I'll pat your back, if you pat my back ol' boys network........but the players and families aren't aware of that, so means a lot to them. In the end, it's about the girls anyway....or should be at least.

As far as why they don't accept late memberships, I would assume because it was voted for there to be a deadline and since open enrollment goes from July to March, right before season starts, the board and members feel that is sufficient amount of time to get enrollment in if the school is interested? I would suspect though that if you emailed the association they would answer why they don't rather than go by my lowly speculation ;) Maybe it also has to do with the voting for weekly standings? They want everyone participating from the start? Maybe some schools would pick and choose what to participate in and end up merely participating in the end of year awards?

Not saying you would do any of that Coach, just my thoughts on the overall subject.

If a coach isn't part of the association to "sell" their players to the other association members, how do you think those teams in the other regions know who from each region to select? IMO it's all a I'll pat your back, if you pat my back ol' boys network........but the players and families aren't aware of that, so means a lot to them. In the end, it's about the girls anyway....or should be at least.

As far as why they don't accept late memberships, I would assume because it was voted for there to be a deadline and since open enrollment goes from July to March, right before season starts, the board and members feel that is sufficient amount of time to get enrollment in if the school is interested? I would suspect though that if you emailed the association they would answer why they don't rather than go by my lowly speculation ;) Maybe it also has to do with the voting for weekly standings? They want everyone participating from the start? Maybe some schools would pick and choose what to participate in and end up merely participating in the end of year awards?

Not saying you would do any of that Coach, just my thoughts on the overall subject.

I understand what you're saying but my point was why do you need an association to given kids their due? Why do you have to be a part of an association to nominate a deserving kid? Why do I have to "sell" my player. I played all over the state to showcase them. And I can provide their stats to small description to anyone. Jo kid should be eliminated from consideration.

And I did email them. I have been a member for the last two years and I explained there was some confusion. All I got was it was too late. I have multiple emails trying to get in and track down the right person to finally be told it was too late.

It's my fault I didn't make 100% sure we mailed in my registration. But I have never understood why there is a need to be a part of an association to receive an award that every kid in the state should have the honor of being eligible for. I'm not sure how you can call it all-state when not all kids are eligible from the beginning.

And the good ole boy definitely happens and the emails fly after everything is distributed for voting. It feels like an election year with all the campaigning. I don't agree with that either. But I'm not on the association, so be it!

Question - Should a coach over sell a player for post season awards ? I'm not talking flat out lying , but we all know HS can be , shall we say , manipulated . I've seen in over and over here in my area in area in small school softball. The same guy gets players awards that are not near the quality of other players in the 20 plus team district . He's been 20 plus years , knows the system , I'm sure he plays to his girls advantage . So is it cool that this guy " goes to bat " for his players or it is not cool ? I know he had a SOPH pitcher earn 1st team all state the year we beat her twice in conference play , at least once was by run rule . And we beat her a third time in tourney play . Our pitcher gave up less than 10 runs on the year in conference and we easily won the conference that year . We had no kid make 1st or 2nd team all state ( went to the final 8 ) .

Question - Should a coach over sell a player for post season awards ? I'm not talking flat out lying , but we all know HS can be , shall we say , manipulated . I've seen in over and over here in my area in area in small school softball. The same guy gets players awards that are not near the quality of other players in the 20 plus team district . He's been 20 plus years , knows the system , I'm sure he plays to his girls advantage . So is it cool that this guy " goes to bat " for his players or it is not cool ? I know he had a SOPH pitcher earn 1st team all state the year we beat her twice in conference play , at least once was by run rule . And we beat her a third time in tourney play . Our pitcher gave up less than 10 runs on the year in conference and we easily won the conference that year . We had no kid make 1st or 2nd team all state ( went to the final 8 ) .

I feel like that definitely happens all over the place. I couldn't believe the campaign emails I got from people marketing their kids. Some of the schools I never even heard of! And it happens on public forums well. I definitely see kids "move up the charts" due to marketing and name recognition.

For you example of your kids not getting recognition, was your coach a member of the state association?

I understand what you're saying but my point was why do you need an association to given kids their due? Why do you have to be a part of an association to nominate a deserving kid? Why do I have to "sell" my player. I played all over the state to showcase them. And I can provide their stats to small description to anyone. Jo kid should be eliminated from consideration.

And I did email them. I have been a member for the last two years and I explained there was some confusion. All I got was it was too late. I have multiple emails trying to get in and track down the right person to finally be told it was too late.

It's my fault I didn't make 100% sure we mailed in my registration. But I have never understood why there is a need to be a part of an association to receive an award that every kid in the state should have the honor of being eligible for. I'm not sure how you can call it all-state when not all kids are eligible from the beginning.

And the good ole boy definitely happens and the emails fly after everything is distributed for voting. It feels like an election year with all the campaigning. I don't agree with that either. But I'm not on the association, so be it!

Sports is like politics, & it's not isolated to softball & it doesn't start in high school!

So, you are in a sense saying that players not part of the association should win awards & have those plaques & end of year event invites (all stars & banquet) paid for by schools that have paid dues while their school has not, because all players should be eligible for awards?

Nope! I'm saying the KHSAA should have control of it and make it fair for every kid to be eligible. If its an "all state" award, that's how it should be. Not "all state" (for those that have joined an association).

Nope! I'm saying the KHSAA should have control of it and make it fair for every kid to be eligible. If its an "all state" award, that's how it should be. Not "all state" (for those that have joined an association).

KHSAA already has significant amount of responsibilities and as we've all seen KHSAA bashed as much as coaches. Do you really want awards placed in their control too?