Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

East/West all stars

Featured Replies

I can can only speak for my kids. The last 5 seniors we have are playing at the next level. Most of that is because of travel ball. But I have spoke with coaches. About all of them and continue to for our younger kids. The problem isn't with the high school coaches, it's the colleges really could care less about high school sports anymore. You VERY RARELY see any college coaches at high school games and if you do, it's because they have already expressed interest and reached out and are actively recruiting the kid. Very rarely do you see any college coaches going to high school games to discover a kid. I have tried to set up local networks with local colleges to let them know when I have a kid that may fit their program coming up. There is really only two that have even shown the slightest interest in that. They just get way more bang for their buck going to travel events and they just don't trust high school competition. I'm sure several coaches have done the same thing and experienced the same thing. Some may have had more success than others. My daughter just went through the recruiting stuff. Any local coach that was after her I tried to create a pipeline with. After she committed, I don't really hear anything from most of them. I'm not blaming them. Like I said, they get more out of travel tournaments and trust evaluating kids against like talent much more than having a network of high school coaches like the old days.

 

Thank you for the recruiting tutorial, I'm fairly familiar with it though.

 

The only part I wasn't familiar with is that is sounds like the kids not afforded the opportunity to play travel ball.....probably don't have the opportunity to play past their high school career if they desire to. That to me is unfortunate.

 

Nice skirt around any KSCA discussion. Deflect & forget...

  • Replies 92
  • Views 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the recruiting tutorial, I'm fairly familiar with it though.

 

The only part I wasn't familiar with is that is sounds like the kids not afforded the opportunity to play travel ball.....probably don't have the opportunity to play past their high school career if they desire to. That to me is unfortunate.

 

Nice skirt around any KSCA discussion. Deflect & forget...

 

What are you taking about?? The kids that don't play travel ball have exactly the same opportunity as the kids that do. However they are up against some greater obstacles. Experience and exposure. Unfortunately in today's world with travel teams playing year round, those are tough obstacles to overcome. (But you probably knew that already, but I'm always happy to help educate).

 

And again...what are you taking about with the deflect and forget??? Deflect and forget what? Ask direct questions and I will answer anything you want me to. I'm one of the most honest and straight forward person on this thing and I don't hide behind my screen name. Some just don't like the answers and some don't like to be challenged. That's not me.

"Not afforded the opportunity to play travel ball?" What? Anyone can play travel ball. Many kids who aren't college material play travel ball. If a kid wants to play in college, they need to seek out opportunities to play and showcase themselves for college coaches. I can't imagine there are many college players who only played softball 3 months a year, and only in high school. Only exception might be 2 or 3 sport athletes.

 

High school ball alone doesn't tell a coach that a girl can play at the next level. That's not unfortunate, that's a fact.

I was at the Ballard vs Eastern game tonight and 4 college coaches were in attendance. Morehead (2), University of Illinois, and Spaulding. That's just who I observed, there could of been more. The last 2 weeks I've seen many college coaches attending games.

They show up for playoffs, even late season matchups once their seasons end. But the thing is, they aren't there just to watch softball and hope to see someone to recruit. They're there to see commits or girls they're considering offering.

They show up for playoffs, even late season matchups once their seasons end. But the thing is, they aren't there just to watch softball and hope to see someone to recruit. They're there to see commits or girls they're considering offering.

 

Exactly.

What are you taking about?? The kids that don't play travel ball have exactly the same opportunity as the kids that do. However they are up against some greater obstacles. Experience and exposure. Unfortunately in today's world with travel teams playing year round, those are tough obstacles to overcome. (But you probably knew that already, but I'm always happy to help educate).

 

And again...what are you taking about with the deflect and forget??? Deflect and forget what? Ask direct questions and I will answer anything you want me to. I'm one of the most honest and straight forward person on this thing and I don't hide behind my screen name. Some just don't like the answers and some don't like to be challenged. That's not me.

 

Went back and re-read my posts and you got me....I didn't ask this as a direct question, so let me now....

 

Since you seem to have issues with the way the association is currently being ran (because you aren't opposed to it), does that mean next year or in the near future even you plan on running for board member so that you can help change it to how you feel it should be ran?

 

Come on now Coach, getting a little defensive with the need to say you are the most honest and straight forward person..........no where in my posts have I ever indicated that you weren't or that you were hiding behind your screen name. I know who you are obviously & have no problems with you. My problem is when people (happens this time to be you) complain but aren't willing to be a part of the solution to change what they feel is wrong, simple as that.

"Not afforded the opportunity to play travel ball?" What? Anyone can play travel ball. Many kids who aren't college material play travel ball. If a kid wants to play in college, they need to seek out opportunities to play and showcase themselves for college coaches. I can't imagine there are many college players who only played softball 3 months a year, and only in high school. Only exception might be 2 or 3 sport athletes.

 

High school ball alone doesn't tell a coach that a girl can play at the next level. That's not unfortunate, that's a fact.

 

Maybe where you are from, all the kids can afford travel ball & there's a fully intact family dynamic........

 

"Not afforded the opportunity"............

1. Lack of financial ability

2. Broken home

3. Lack of transportation

4. Lack of interest or commitment by one or more parent

 

The list can go on of "not afforded"....if there is a kid that is athletically capable of playing at the next level, whether it is JUCO to D1, I would find it HIGHLY unfortunate if the high school coach did not help in every possible way of assisting that player fulfill their desire.

Went back and re-read my posts and you got me....I didn't ask this as a direct question, so let me now....

 

Since you seem to have issues with the way the association is currently being ran (because you aren't opposed to it), does that mean next year or in the near future even you plan on running for board member so that you can help change it to how you feel it should be ran?

 

Come on now Coach, getting a little defensive with the need to say you are the most honest and straight forward person..........no where in my posts have I ever indicated that you weren't or that you were hiding behind your screen name. I know who you are obviously & have no problems with you. My problem is when people (happens this time to be you) complain but aren't willing to be a part of the solution to change what they feel is wrong, simple as that.

 

Well I think being willing to expose a gap publicly on any forum is the first step to doing something about it. I obviously can't do a thing about it this year because I'm not a member. And as I stated, it really was just exposed to me because my kids will suffer this year. I have been a member in the past so I didn't realize the gap in the process. Now I do. So to answer your question, yes, I will absolutely bring it up. I'm not shy and I am obviously passionate about the issue. I don't feel you have to run for office to influence change, so I wouldn't do that.

 

And to your other part. Wouldn't this be an avenue to get a kid exposure that doesn't play travel ball? (If they were deserving of the honor) Well right now only 43% of the schools are represented. If they allowed anyone to be nominated, all kids would at least get a chance to get some exposure.

Maybe where you are from, all the kids can afford travel ball & there's a fully intact family dynamic........

 

"Not afforded the opportunity"............

1. Lack of financial ability

2. Broken home

3. Lack of transportation

4. Lack of interest or commitment by one or more parent

 

The list can go on of "not afforded"....if there is a kid that is athletically capable of playing at the next level, whether it is JUCO to D1, I would find it HIGHLY unfortunate if the high school coach did not help in every possible way of assisting that player fulfill their desire.

 

Two questions.

 

What makes you think a coach doesn't?

 

And what would you propose a coach do? Every high school coach thinks their players are good. But "good" is an opinion and control of the reward (a scholarship) has their opinion of what's"good" is and what their "need" is for each class they recruit. Getting a less fortunate kid exposure can be done, but still a very long shot without travel ball. And some of the things you list as the challenges are still there if your could even get a college coaches attention for a high school kid that doesn't play summer ball. I would also challenge anyone to show me a kid that doesn't play competitive summer ball that is actually a better option than a kid that does. Their are so few college opportunities and so many travel kids to choose from that the odds of finding a diamond in the rough are extremely low because unfortunately the kids that do play summer ball tend to pass up the others in skill and experience. Is it unfortunate, yes. Would I as a coach do everything possible if I did actually run across a unique situation where a kid doesn't play travel but has the skills to play at the next level, heck yes. Helping kids and seeing that result is the reason I coach. But that situation does not come around very often.

 

Take sports out of it. It's also unfortunate (for some of the same reasons you listed) that every kid can't go to college or get a job making $100k when they go into the workforce. But it happens. There are really smart kids that don't have the resources or support that never make it. If you don't have the resource or support, it also also takes a unique "drive" and willingness from the kid to put in the extra work to get noticed by anyone. So regardless, a kid will skill or smarts has to show the effort as well. How many inner city kids are playing Bball on the blacktop courts in America that are probably better than the starting five in their high school? Well if they don't show the effort or desire to do something about it, they most likely aren't going to get any outside assistance. So my point, the scenario you describe is a very unique situation because of all kinds of unfortunte challenges. Not just because is. High school coaches unwillingness to help someone. That someone has to come along first.

Well I think being willing to expose a gap publicly on any forum is the first step to doing something about it. I obviously can't do a thing about it this year because I'm not a member. And as I stated, it really was just exposed to me because my kids will suffer this year. I have been a member in the past so I didn't realize the gap in the process. Now I do. So to answer your question, yes, I will absolutely bring it up. I'm not shy and I am obviously passionate about the issue. I don't feel you have to run for office to influence change, so I wouldn't do that.

 

And to your other part. Wouldn't this be an avenue to get a kid exposure that doesn't play travel ball? (If they were deserving of the honor) Well right now only 43% of the schools are represented. If they allowed anyone to be nominated, all kids would at least get a chance to get some exposure.

 

Obviously I don't have a problem exposing things either, or else I wouldn't have called out the entire 9th Region for embarrassing membership numbers. You becoming a member and voicing your opinion on how you think things would be better is definitely a start.

 

I 100% believe this would be an avenue for a kid not playing travel ball to get exposure; however, I do not find it the associations responsibility to ensure every player is afforded the opportunity for recognition. They have opened it to THE ENTIRE STATE for membership............the final responsibility lies on the school and coaches back to do the rest (paying membership fees & attending meetings). The association has not excluded anyone, the schools have excluded themselves thus excluding the players.

Obviously I don't have a problem exposing things either, or else I wouldn't have called out the entire 9th Region for embarrassing membership numbers. You becoming a member and voicing your opinion on how you think things would be better is definitely a start.

 

I 100% believe this would be an avenue for a kid not playing travel ball to get exposure; however, I do not find it the associations responsibility to ensure every player is afforded the opportunity for recognition. They have opened it to THE ENTIRE STATE for membership............the final responsibility lies on the school and coaches back to do the rest (paying membership fees & attending meetings). The association has not excluded anyone, the schools have excluded themselves thus excluding the players.

 

I get all that and understand it. But regardless of the coach's or school's reason for not joining, not having a solution to include the kids that have no control over whether their school decides to join the association should be a apart of this if they are really doing it for the kids. Just like you say, if you don't have a solution, then those kids really have no chance for the recognition they deserve and cannot do anything about it. That would be on your list of things that would be a challenge of getting the diamond in the rough the exposure you're talking about. If a kid has the talent but plays for a coach that doesn't care, isn't that the same thing as having a parent that doesn't care? isn't that just another hurdle for the kid? So why do we close the door for that kid and want to open it for others (just because they are members). Wouldn't allowing all kids to be nominated be an opening of the door to overcome something they have no control over? A kid should not be eliminated from consideration because of circumstances they can't control.

 

And everyone can say, they aren't eliminated from consideration. But they are. Sure other coaches can bring them up, but how often is that going to really happen if that coach in that region has a kid that would be competing for the same spot on the all state team. And that other coach nominating has no idea what the stats are or really able to make a statement as to why that kid is deserving. And what if a deserving kid just happens to have a bad game against an association member team. Well even though the kid had an outstanding year, that nominating coach will leave that game with an impression that isn't really all state material. The only people that really understand who is deserving are the coaches on that staff and they should be able to nominate their kids for an award that we call "All State" honors. I have probably 3 kids that are deserving of all state nominations and they aren't going to get a sniff. It's my fault for not following up. It wasn't intentional. I didn't follow up during a very busy time for me. I take that. But should my kids pay the price because of my lack of follow up. What if one of those kids was the kid you describe. The one that couldn't afford travel ball, but is worthy of all state. Shouldn't that kid be able to be recognized? But they wouldn't with the solution in place. We make assumptions that the coaches that don't join are just lazy or unsupported of their players. I'm sure there are some like that. However, I'm sure there are others that have legit reasons for not being able to be a part of the association. Regardless of the reasons, the kids are the ones that suffer and there is no reason there can't be a solution to remove that obstacle.

Just another thought that goes around the NKY area. First, coaches don't really understand what they get out of joining the association other than the ability to nominate and vote on all state. Thats what their perception of what being a part of the association is. And that's the only value they see. So from year to year, membership goes up and down based on whether that school has someone worthy of a nomination. You don't see much participation up here because the talent level is not as abundant as down state, so coaches see no value in joining unless they have an exceptional kid. Maybe coaches up here need to understand the value of joining other than just deserved recognition for their kids.

 

The other perception that goes around is "why bother". Many feel NKY has never received any respect for softball at the statewide level and if they do nominate their kids, they don't have a chance with the lack of respect from other areas of the state. So it's not a high priority to join up in this area, even if you have a decent player. I know...well if more would join, you would get more respect. I don't buy that. Like I said in a previous post, respect is earned on the field and until we start competing with the down state teams consistently, we will not get the respect. I do think we are starting to make some advances with more kids playing travel ball these days. But we are far from the hotbed of softball in NKY. Some coaches are trying to do something about that.

I get all that and understand it. But regardless of the coach's or school's reason for not joining, not having a solution to include the kids that have no control over whether their school decides to join the association should be a apart of this if they are really doing it for the kids. Just like you say, if you don't have a solution, then those kids really have no chance for the recognition they deserve and cannot do anything about it. That would be on your list of things that would be a challenge of getting the diamond in the rough the exposure you're talking about. If a kid has the talent but plays for a coach that doesn't care, isn't that the same thing as having a parent that doesn't care? isn't that just another hurdle for the kid? So why do we close the door for that kid and want to open it for others (just because they are members). Wouldn't allowing all kids to be nominated be an opening of the door to overcome something they have no control over? A kid should not be eliminated from consideration because of circumstances they can't control.

 

And everyone can say, they aren't eliminated from consideration. But they are. Sure other coaches can bring them up, but how often is that going to really happen if that coach in that region has a kid that would be competing for the same spot on the all state team. And that other coach nominating has no idea what the stats are or really able to make a statement as to why that kid is deserving. And what if a deserving kid just happens to have a bad game against an association member team. Well even though the kid had an outstanding year, that nominating coach will leave that game with an impression that isn't really all state material. The only people that really understand who is deserving are the coaches on that staff and they should be able to nominate their kids for an award that we call "All State" honors. I have probably 3 kids that are deserving of all state nominations and they aren't going to get a sniff. It's my fault for not following up. It wasn't intentional. I didn't follow up during a very busy time for me. I take that. But should my kids pay the price because of my lack of follow up. What if one of those kids was the kid you describe. The one that couldn't afford travel ball, but is worthy of all state. Shouldn't that kid be able to be recognized? But they wouldn't with the solution in place. We make assumptions that the coaches that don't join are just lazy or unsupported of their players. I'm sure there are some like that. However, I'm sure there are others that have legit reasons for not being able to be a part of the association. Regardless of the reasons, the kids are the ones that suffer and there is no reason there can't be a solution to remove that obstacle.

 

RCC9, with all due respect, you're contradicting yourself here...It seems to me your point is...THEY should come up with a way for Players from non-member schools to be considered, and to receive awards...( "...not having a solution to include the kids that have no control over whether their school decides to join the association...")....

 

My point, and I surmise SF14's, is that ...nominations are open to ANY player in the State of KY, by any member coach, regardless if it is their player or not...you seem to agree with this when you state, "...Sure other coaches can bring them up...", i.e. "...Sure (KSCA member) coaches can (nominate players from other teams, INCLUDING those who's coaches are not KSCA members)..."

 

Sounds like your just running in circles with all these other off-point, hypothetical what-ifs....if you want every player in the State of KY to be eligible for these awards and recognitions, you got it!!

Just another thought that goes around the NKY area. First, coaches don't really understand what they get out of joining the association other than the ability to nominate and vote on all state. Thats what their perception of what being a part of the association is. And that's the only value they see. So from year to year, membership goes up and down based on whether that school has someone worthy of a nomination. You don't see much participation up here because the talent level is not as abundant as down state, so coaches see no value in joining unless they have an exceptional kid. Maybe coaches up here need to understand the value of joining other than just deserved recognition for their kids.

 

The other perception that goes around is "why bother". Many feel NKY has never received any respect for softball at the statewide level and if they do nominate their kids, they don't have a chance with the lack of respect from other areas of the state. So it's not a high priority to join up in this area, even if you have a decent player. I know...well if more would join, you would get more respect. I don't buy that. Like I said in a previous post, respect is earned on the field and until we start competing with the down state teams consistently, we will not get the respect. I do think we are starting to make some advances with more kids playing travel ball these days. But we are far from the hotbed of softball in NKY. Some coaches are trying to do something about that.

 

Definitely agree with this.

 

As an outsider, I think what the coaches in NKY need to be thinking about is the collective. It's very apparent that you have a loyal and dedicated group of parents, kids and fans in this area. And even if the talent isn't as good across the board, one thing membership in the KSCA would do for everyone is bring a collective NKY voice to statewide KY softball. So, if you've got an outstanding kid on one team who definitely deserves recognition, it's not just one NKY coach trying to get her recognized, but now you've got all of the coaches up there helping to make that happen. Same goes with top 25 voting. And on the pre-season lists, they are region specific so you're ignoring an easy way to recognize kids and teams in your own region.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.