Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Taking Pitcher Out During No Hitter

Featured Replies

I received an alert on my phone over the weekend about a pitcher throwing a no hitter in like the 7th inning.

 

I flipped on my tv to watch and they almost immediately took him out of the game due to pitch count.

 

What are your thoughts on this? To me, I was actually interested in a baseball game only to have it ripped away. I basically said to myself "this is why I don't watch baseball."

  • Replies 39
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid was making his ML debut, has had Tommy John surgery which caused him to miss all of 2014 and a portion of 2015. Absolutely the right call. It sucks, but the risk isn't worth the reward.

  • Author

Didn't they lose the game too?

Didn't they lose the game too?

 

Who is to say the kid doesn't get rocked the last 2 innings as well?

Also, no sense in risking the health of a young arm at the sake of a personal achievement when it is a team sport and a very long season.

Right call.

Wow, tough call to make but I agree it's better to be cautious.

  • Author

Maybe I'm just clueless when it comes to baseball but my first thought is that 20 more pitches can't really be that damaging can they?

Maybe I'm just clueless when it comes to baseball but my first thought is that 20 more pitches can't really be that damaging can they?

 

The thing to think about is not only the collective wear and tear of the amount of pitches total in number, but that an individual pitch thrown after pitch 100 late in the game is going to have a significant more effect on the arm than the first 25 or so. So the longer the pitcher goes, the more impactful the individual pitch gets.

Maybe I'm just clueless when it comes to baseball but my first thought is that 20 more pitches can't really be that damaging can they?

 

When you're at 100 pitches, 20 more can make a huge difference. Especially on an arm that's already had Tommy John.

  • Author

I think I would have given him 10 more pitches and see where the game was at that point

I heard this morning his parents hugged the coach and told him how thankful they were for him thinking of the health of their son.

I may be wrong, but hadnt he already lost the no-hitter and walked another hitter behind him?

I may be wrong, but hadnt he already lost the no-hitter and walked another hitter behind him?

 

That was Brandon Finnegan last night for the Reds.

 

This thread is about a Dodgers pitcher on Friday (I believe).

I thought about that as soon as I posted it. My mistake

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.