Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bill would restrict how nursing home violations could be publicized

Featured Replies

  • Author
You're right, it's Senate Bill 6 that attempts to mute the victims & limits the patient's rights -- not necessarily SB 205 -- but that is likely a topic for another thread.

 

Another Year, Another Push for Medical Review Panels in Kentucky | Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting

 

Let me guess, the same people/groups that support SB 6 also support SB 205?

  • Replies 45
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me guess, the same people/groups that support SB 6 also support SB 205?

 

I'm not too familiar with SB 205 but I think that's a safe bet.

 

Senate Bill 6, was filed by sponsors Ralph Alvarado, Danny Carroll, David Givens, Max Wise and Senate Majority Leader Damon Thayer, all Republican...

  • Author

From the article:

 

As originally written, the bill also would have covered “nongovernmental publications,” such as news stories on nursing homes. But the sponsor, Sen. Danny Carroll, R-Paducah, said he never intended to influence news reporting. With an amendment Wednesday to correct that “overreach,” he said he limited the bill’s focus to advertisements only.

 

Joining Carroll at the witness table to support the bill was Betsy Johnson, president of the Kentucky Association of Health Care Facilities, the nursing home industry’s trade group. Over the last five years, the group’s political action committee has given nearly $160,000 in state political donations.

Finally, maybe if so many Nursing Homes weren't so corrupt we wouldn't even be discussing this sham legislation. But I am glad to see Bevin's Boys are working on another great piece of legislation for the Commonwealth. After all, screw the little guy, we need to protect big business.

You're starting to sound like me. Keep preaching, brother.

From the article:

 

As originally written, the bill also would have covered “nongovernmental publications,” such as news stories on nursing homes. But the sponsor, Sen. Danny Carroll, R-Paducah, said he never intended to influence news reporting. With an amendment Wednesday to correct that “overreach,” he said he limited the bill’s focus to advertisements only.

 

Joining Carroll at the witness table to support the bill was Betsy Johnson, president of the Kentucky Association of Health Care Facilities, the nursing home industry’s trade group. Over the last five years, the group’s political action committee has given nearly $160,000 in state political donations.

 

A wise person once told me - follow the money.

 

I wonder what the Kentucky Chamber's position is on this horrible piece of legislation?

By helping to eliminate legal advertisements informing patients about misconduct on the part of Nursing Homes.

 

And for the record I don't see how the law would ever stand up to court challenge. If we are going to make someone do this, then I guess the next step is any political campaign running a negative ad about an opponent will have to include all the positives about them too.

 

Finally, maybe if so many Nursing Homes weren't so corrupt we wouldn't even be discussing this sham legislation. But I am glad to see Bevin's Boys are working on another great piece of legislation for the Commonwealth. After all, screw the little guy, we need to protect big business.

 

I'm sorry but I would want to eliminate the ones just fishing for clients. The homes who have not corrected their violations would still be open game, as they should be. But the ones who made an honest error years back and have corrected their deficiencies would not be caught up in a witch hunt.

 

I think the lawyers should have to put a little effort into presenting everything in the advertisement. I realize that's against the norm and I agree that it probably would not pass a court challenge.

 

I am no friend of most of the nursing home industry. Despite being one of the most heavily regulated industries it has more than it's share of scum. Unfortunately the regulations have been necessary due to these undesirables. The result is it's really difficult for anyone to meet the regulations while being able to financially stay in business. The good ones give it up and the bad ones continue to cut corners.

  • Author
A wise person once told me - follow the money.

 

I wonder what the Kentucky Chamber's position is on this horrible piece of legislation?

 

I would also like to see which legislators get how much money from the Kentucky Association of Health Care Facilities and any others like it.

  • Author
I'm sorry but I would want to eliminate the ones just fishing for clients. The homes who have not corrected their violations would still be open game, as they should be. But the ones who made an honest error years back and have corrected their deficiencies would not be caught up in a witch hunt.

 

I think the lawyers should have to put a little effort into presenting everything in the advertisement. I realize that's against the norm and I agree that it probably would not pass a court challenge.

 

I am no friend of most of the nursing home industry. Despite being one of the most heavily regulated industries it has more than it's share of scum. Unfortunately the regulations have been necessary due to these undesirables. The result is it's really difficult for anyone to meet the regulations while being able to financially stay in business. The good ones give it up and the bad ones continue to cut corners.

 

For Democrats (I think that includes The Donald in this case) that want Free Government Health Care for everyone Nursing Homes are a part of the equation too. A real real real expensive part of the equation.

For Democrats (I think that includes The Donald in this case) that want Free Government Health Care for everyone Nursing Homes are a part of the equation too. A real real real expensive part of the equation.

 

They are. The problem is the poor are going to get the shaft, as they always do. Those who can afford private care or have insurance plans will be ok. Those using Medicare and Medicaid are in trouble. They are going to a managed care format. Increasing costs from regulations are combining with shorter stays and rate reductions. That results in lower staffing levels to save money which results in the lack of care cited in posts above. Even the non profits run by people like the Carmelite Sisters will struggle to stay open. Makes me not want to grow old.

If you think this is bad, wait till the GOP takes over the Kentucky House.

Sorry if I don't feel to bad for resteciting law firms who are also out for a cash grab. Trial lawyers aren't exactly a party I feel sorry for.

I would also like to see which legislators get how much money from the Kentucky Association of Health Care Facilities and any others like it.

KREF - Online Searchable Database

 

Click on "To All Recipients" and enter Kentucky Association of Health Care Facilities...voila

 

Looks like they give to just about everyone

If you think this is bad, wait till the GOP takes over the Kentucky House.

 

The worst thing that has happened to Medicaid Nursing homes over the past several years is the democrats obamacare. An absolute disaster for the needy poor.

While I loathe Nursing Homes and most of the people running them.

 

Is their PAC giving money to candidates any different than attorneys giving money to judges up for election that they try cases in front of or money to prosecutors for their election?

  • Author
Sorry if I don't feel to bad for resteciting law firms who are also out for a cash grab. Trial lawyers aren't exactly a party I feel sorry for.

 

The Trial Lawyers are the ones standing up for the victims of abuse/neglect. If not the Trial Lawyers who?

 

And in this case are you saying it is okay for the Government to tell a private business they don't have free speech?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.