Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spread Offense

Featured Replies

The spread does not work in high school football... high school do not have the talent level or the sufficient athletes to execute the spread constently all night down the field.... running the football is the only way to go in high school sports... the run will open it up for the pass

 

New Cath ran the no huddle spread almost to perfection late last season.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest misconception by people is that just because the offense is in the shotgun or spread, they don't run the ball much or are only thinking pass. Most of the time this sin't true. Just because they are spread don't assume they throw the ball 80% of the time. Most coaches spread the field to see how many players remain in the defensive box, 7 or more- throw it, 6 or less- run it. It's usually just a numbers game and taking what the defense gives you. as far as line play, the spread isn't a cheap way out. The o line actually has to learn more- several different pass protections, in most cases how to block several types of screens, and run blocking. You may be able to get away with using some smaller players, but all of them have to be pretty smart and athletic. Take a look at the stats of a successful spread team and I think you may be suprised how many times they do run the ball.

To me it is almost the opposite. How many teams line up in 3 backs are making it to the carpet now? The game has evolved. I know Danville, Belfrey + Beechwood some are able to do it but there's not many and that is for a reason. One common theme in those schools usually is that they have HUGE Olines! I know Russell and Scott Co have both been there running the WingT.

I think where a lot of spread teams get in trouble is that they don't put in the practice time to make it successful or they aren't totally comfortable with it. It is a system. A lot of teams just put in a package. I think the teams that use it as a system have a lot more success.

If I were a high school QB or WR I would love for my coach to run the spread offense. If it is done properly it makes for some exciting football. It involves everyone in the backfield as well ,and the o-line really have a chance to become great pass blockers.

If you have the horses to run the spread you should be successful, very hard to defend a talented group of skills.

If you have the horses to run the spread you should be successful, very hard to defend a talented group of skills.

:thumb: It is hard to defend and even harder to prepare for. There are so many variations off of the play that is called. Take what the defense gives and allow your QB to make smart decisions.

New Cath ran the no huddle spread almost to perfection late last season.

And look for them to be in the mix of things this year. They have the taste of the playoffs from last year and are hungry for more. They have one of the finest young coaches in high school football leading the way.

And look for them to be in the mix of things this year. They have the taste of the playoffs from last year and are hungry for more. They have one of the finest young coaches in high school football leading the way.

:confused: :confused:

:confused: :confused:

My mistake. I confused them with Newport.

My mistake. I confused them with Newport.

:thumb: :thumb:

 

I have Great Uncles younger than Schneider... :lol:

:thumb: :thumb:

 

I have Great Uncles younger than Schneider... :lol:

 

As many times as he has beaten our high school team I should never confuse him with anyone.:confused:

  • Author

Thanks for all the great feedback. I started running the spread about 3 years ago with my sons 3rd & 4th grade team, and we had great success. I have since moved on to coach our middle school team and am installing it there. I went to the spread because we always had more smaller atheletes then big stud linemen. By spreading the field and reading the defence and taking what they gave use we were able to control the tempo of the game. We run from the spread about 60-70% of the time. By doing this the db's start playing up looking for the run then you go over the top of them. We ran this with a 3rd grader at qb from no huddle most of the time, it does involve alot of practice time but can be run at any level. Thanks again for the imput.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I started running the spread about 3 years ago with my sons 3rd & 4th grade team, and we had great success. I have since moved on to coach our middle school team and am installing it there. I went to the spread because we always had more smaller atheletes then big stud linemen. By spreading the field and reading the defence and taking what they gave use we were able to control the tempo of the game. We run from the spread about 60-70% of the time. By doing this the db's start playing up looking for the run then you go over the top of them. We ran this with a 3rd grader at qb from no huddle most of the time, it does involve alot of practice time but can be run at any level. Thanks again for the imput.

Sounds like that you are running it right. Good luck.:thumb:

BELFRY and RUSSELL the "spread killers". BELFRY should market their defense vs. the spread like Franklin markets the spread offense. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.