Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spread Offense

Featured Replies

How many, if any, teams are going to the spread offence, and how is it working out?

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be Covington Catholic's second year of the Spread Offense. It worked out well this past season- CCH scored over 30 most of the games- and I expect that, as with most systems, the second year with a new system is the best.

Raceland runs this system or a variation of it. While it put the points on the board I still have mixed feelings about it. Imo a defense suffers from it, I can't really explain why except for maybe that they are on the field too much. A spread offense is exciting and teams can score quick or go 3 and out or have an int. quick. This puts the defense right back out on the field. I may be old school but I still prefer the idea / system of a solid ground game with the pass mixed in - Play good defense, have good special teams and control the time of posession(spelling?). ( offense sells the tickets, Defense wins the championships!). I am a Raceland fan and support coach V and the staff in every aspect. This is JMO.

Raceland runs this system or a variation of it. While it put the points on the board I still have mixed feelings about it. Imo a defense suffers from it, I can't really explain why except for maybe that they are on the field too much. A spread offense is exciting and teams can score quick or go 3 and out or have an int. quick. This puts the defense right back out on the field. I may be old school but I still prefer the idea / system of a solid ground game with the pass mixed in - Play good defense, have good special teams and control the time of posession(spelling?). ( offense sells the tickets, Defense wins the championships!). I am a Raceland fan and support coach V and the staff in every aspect. This is JMO.

That is what I think also. But I think in this second year it will improve.

Raceland runs this system or a variation of it. While it put the points on the board I still have mixed feelings about it. Imo a defense suffers from it, I can't really explain why except for maybe that they are on the field too much. A spread offense is exciting and teams can score quick or go 3 and out or have an int. quick. This puts the defense right back out on the field. I may be old school but I still prefer the idea / system of a solid ground game with the pass mixed in - Play good defense, have good special teams and control the time of posession(spelling?). ( offense sells the tickets, Defense wins the championships!). I am a Raceland fan and support coach V and the staff in every aspect. This is JMO.

I think the primary reason a spread offense team struggles defensively is the fact that so much time is spent in learning the offense. This offense requires many repetitions because timing and route running are so important for it to work that the defense has less time to work. It is exciting to watch and really showcases a QB or WR's talent. It also helps spread the field when a team is not a very good blocking team as lineman do not have to hold their blocks as long. I always like what my old coach used to say to us, ("It's not about the X's and O's it's about the Jimmy's and Joes") .

The spread does not work in high school football... high school do not have the talent level or the sufficient athletes to execute the spread constently all night down the field.... running the football is the only way to go in high school sports... the run will open it up for the pass

Let's see, Lex Cath is a spread offense- 3A champs, Owensboro Cath- been to the 2A championship game the last two years running the spread. They seemed to play pretty good defense.

The spread does not work in high school football... high school do not have the talent level or the sufficient athletes to execute the spread constently all night down the field.... running the football is the only way to go in high school sports... the run will open it up for the pass

If executed properly the spread is a ball control offense. It spreads the defense and makes line blocking a little more simple. Most teams run it from a no huddle offense so that the defense can not substitute as often. Most of the spread offensive teams I have watched are in excellent physical condition.

I also think that there are some very talented kids at the high school level as many go on and play at the next level.

The spread does not work in high school football... high school do not have the talent level or the sufficient athletes to execute the spread constently all night down the field.... running the football is the only way to go in high school sports... the run will open it up for the pass

HHmmmm? Lex Cath, Trinity, Highlands (of old), Boyle, Bardstown, Male, Owensboro Cath, Pburg I think I've listed enough teams that have been on the carpet as of late! Even teams like St X + Beechwood have opened it up a little at times to spread it out and open up their running games.

IMO if you have a good offensive line, then you can run the ball out of the spread formation with success because of the way it opens the area between the tackles.

HHmmmm? Lex Cath, Trinity, Highlands (of old), Boyle, Bardstown, Male, Owensboro Cath, Pburg I think I've listed enough teams that have been on the carpet as of late! Even teams like St X + Beechwood have opened it up a little at times to spread it out and open up their running games.

 

 

You beat me to it. :p

If executed properly the spread is a ball control offense. It spreads the defense and makes line blocking a little more simple. Most teams run it from a no huddle offense so that the defense can not substitute as often. Most of the spread offensive teams I have watched are in excellent physical condition.

I also think that there are some very talented kids at the high school level as many go on and play at the next level.

I agree cville, imo too many teams use it as a passing offense only. While the pass is the main objective of the offense if a team executes the offense properly they also run the ball quite a bit out of it. Imo that is the mistake that a lot of teams make out of this set - they go all pass and neglect the run. If you lookat WVU in the college game, they run the spread offense and I believe that they were one of the leading rushing teams in the nation last year.

I agree cville, imo too many teams use it as a passing offense only. While the pass is the main objective of the offense if a team executes the offense properly they also run the ball quite a bit out of it. Imo that is the mistake that a lot of teams make out of this set - they go all pass and neglect the run. If you lookat WVU in the college game, they run the spread offense and I believe that they were one of the leading rushing teams in the nation last year.

:thumb: I agree. The spread, if used properly can really confuse the defense.

IMO if you have a good offensive line, then you can run the ball out of the spread formation with success because of the way it opens the area between the tackles.

I think some of the high school teams that run the spread, do so because they do not have a real good run blocking offense line. The pass blocking simplifies things and enables the line to not have to hold their blocks as long. You are right that a good offensive line combined with the spread opens up the whole field. Team speed and a smart QB are the key.

HHmmmm? Lex Cath, Trinity, Highlands (of old), Boyle, Bardstown, Male, Owensboro Cath, Pburg I think I've listed enough teams that have been on the carpet as of late! Even teams like St X + Beechwood have opened it up a little at times to spread it out and open up their running games.

 

Add NewCath to that list.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.