Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA adopts new pitch count rule

Featured Replies

Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.

 

There's not always a field umpire.

Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.

 

Youth leagues have had pitch counts for years. And while I'm sure there have been arguments, in the 10+ years of high level youth baseball that both my sons played, and at least 1000 games I've coached in and watched, I've never seen one. As long as coaches are checking counts in between innings, there will never be situation like you describe (where there is a 10 pitch difference). Folks expecting to see arguments over pitch counts are going to be disappointed.

There's not always a field umpire.

 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school game without a field umpire.

Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.

Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.

 

Not at all levels. JV and freshman typically only have one ump.

 

Field umps are already keeping balls and strikes. Keeping balls and strikes would require them carrying a second counter of some sort. Not ideal

 

Again, you're making much more of this than it really is. Teams keeping pitch counts is not that big of an issue.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school game without a field umpire.

 

Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.

 

Two factors:

 

Level of play and location.

 

In varsity ball you're ALWAYS going to have a field umpire. However, that's not always the case in frosh and JV. In NKY, for example, you never see one for a frosh game and rarely see one for a JV game. Combo of number of available umpires and schools willing to pay for a second umpire.

 

I know in other areas you see two for all levels.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school game without a field umpire.

 

Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.

 

Not at all levels. JV and freshman typically only have one ump.

 

Field umps are already keeping balls and strikes. Keeping balls and strikes would require them carrying a second counter of some sort. Not ideal

 

Again, you're making much more of this than it really is. Teams keeping pitch counts is not that big of an issue.

 

Again, may be regional but very few field umpires keep balls and strikes.

Again, may be regional but very few field umpires keep balls and strikes.

 

I stand corrected. Where I'm from, Field umps always kept balls and strikes as well. Honestly, I've never watched to see if it is done...I just assumed it was.

Not at all levels. JV and freshman typically only have one ump.

 

Field umps are already keeping balls and strikes. Keeping balls and strikes would require them carrying a second counter of some sort. Not ideal

 

Again, you're making much more of this than it really is. Teams keeping pitch counts is not that big of an issue.

 

Been a high school Coach for a long time and have never seen a game at any level done with only one umpire. But I've never been to a freshman or JV game in NKY, only varsity. Maybe that is the norm up there.

Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.

 

As others have stated, there isn't always a field umpire. And if there is, they are occupied with other things (check swings, balks, safe/out calls, etc.) so to expect them to get every pitched counted is probably unrealistic for some.

 

I stand corrected. Where I'm from, Field umps always kept balls and strikes as well. Honestly, I've never watched to see if it is done...I just assumed it was.

 

I think there are some that keep a mental count (a few may do a clicker as well) but I'm sure most don't.

Been a high school Coach for a long time and have never seen a game at any level done with only one umpire. But I've never been to a freshman or JV game in NKY, only varsity. Maybe that is the norm up there.

 

It is. 9th region only assigns one umpire to freshmen and JV games due to number of umpires and availability. The 8th region has two umpires for all levels.

It is. 9th region only assigns one umpire to freshmen and JV games due to number of umpires and availability. The 8th region has two umpires for all levels.

 

10th is the same way

I can see a pitcher pitching to the top half of the order, a new pitcher coming in via position change for the bottom half, and a rotating use of them in that fashion.

 

 

 

A starter can come back to pitch, but a reliever can't. You would have to have a deep staff to do something like that.

A starter can come back to pitch, but a reliever can't. You would have to have a deep staff to do something like that.

 

If you leave the reliever in the game, ie just move him to the outfield, you can put him back in to pitch at anytime.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.