Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA adopts new pitch count rule

Featured Replies

It is. 9th region only assigns one umpire to freshmen and JV games due to number of umpires and availability. The 8th region has two umpires for all levels.

 

10th is the same way

 

I know Holmes went to Mason County last year and played a JV/V doubleheader. I'm told that is common in some areas. Is that the case in the 8th and 10th? If so, you do not need as many umpires as you do in the 9th.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A starter can come back to pitch, but a reliever can't. You would have to have a deep staff to do something like that.

 

I can take my first baseman and pitcher and rotate them throughout the game. Just can't have the same kid come back to pitch twice in an inning.

I know Holmes went to Mason County last year and played a JV/V doubleheader. I'm told that is common in some areas. Is that the case in the 8th and 10th? If so, you do not need as many umpires as you do in the 9th.

 

I know I've been to the 8th for a solo game and got 2 umpires. Been to the 10th for a solo game and got one. So no idea what the common theme is.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school game without a field umpire.

 

I have in JV games.

I can take my first baseman and pitcher and rotate them throughout the game. Just can't have the same kid come back to pitch twice in an inning.

 

Where is the rule that if you pitch and then someone else pitches, you cannot return to pitch in the same inning? That's a new one on me. I think I recall Jesse Orosco playing some RF after retiring a LH hitter while a RH hitter was up with a LH hitter on deck. I'm sure the CF was shading his way.

I seem to recall in the old days (mid '80s) that the KHSAA training book suggested that if only 1 umpire was used, the proper placement was behind the P. Theory was that what you may have missed in balls & strikes was outweighed by having a much better angle on all of the other plays that might happen during a game.

 

Tried it once when I got stuck doing a DH at Thomas More in JUL or AUG and my partner did not show up. Did it behind the plate for the 1st game and behind the P for the 2nd game. You'd be amazed at the guys who think THEY can call pitches from the mound, the IF and even the OF that complain that the ump standing right behind the mound cannot see well enough to call balls & strikes from there!

Where is the rule that if you pitch and then someone else pitches, you cannot return to pitch in the same inning? That's a new one on me. I think I recall Jesse Orosco playing some RF after retiring a LH hitter while a RH hitter was up with a LH hitter on deck. I'm sure the CF was shading his way.

 

Hey @Clyde, am I imagining the rule that says the same kid cannot pitch twice in the same inning (i.e. starts the inning, moves to a different position, and returns to the mound later that same inning)? If not, you know where that can be found?

You'd be surprised at the amount of kids I've worked who do 0 stretching before/after and don't ice anything. I'd like to be wrong though.

 

You'd be surprised the number of coaches who still call kids soft that do this.

Hey @Clyde, am I imagining the rule that says the same kid cannot pitch twice in the same inning (i.e. starts the inning, moves to a different position, and returns to the mound later that same inning)? If not, you know where that can be found?

 

Assuming all substitution rules are followed 3-2 says a pitcher can return to pitch only once per inning. So if the P swaps with the 1B who then pitches to a batter the original pitcher can return in the same inning but can only do that once.

Where is the rule that if you pitch and then someone else pitches, you cannot return to pitch in the same inning? That's a new one on me. I think I recall Jesse Orosco playing some RF after retiring a LH hitter while a RH hitter was up with a LH hitter on deck. I'm sure the CF was shading his way.

 

NFHS 3-2 says you can return once per inning.

 

The game you are referring to was the Mets v Reds when Ray Knight and Eric Davis got into a fight.

I know I've been to the 8th for a solo game and got 2 umpires. Been to the 10th for a solo game and got one. So no idea what the common theme is.

 

Grant County was in the NKY frosh tourney last year. HC was shocked when I didn't have a partner.

You'd be surprised the number of coaches who still call kids soft that do this.

 

I don't know how this could be considered "soft". Clearly those "coaches" are complete morons and don't understand pitching.

I can tell you that umpires are glad that they are absolved from any responsibility in regards to pitch count. Really simple if there's a dispute. What does the official Designated Pitch Count Recorder say? That's the number.

I was talking to a JV coach this week and he's a bit concerned over 66 pitches requiring 3 days rest. JV pitchers can hit that in 2 to 3 innings.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.