Mason County 43 Highlands 42

I wouldn't be too hard on them. HHS does that to a lot of teams. They are very creative on defense and execute defensively very well. That's one of their strengths. Remember, there were some that picked this HHS to win the 9th in preseason. They have not lived up to that because of the lack of intensity they have played with at times this year, but they are still good when they play with intensity like they did last night. What you saw last night was a different HHS team than what others have seen in the past couple weeks. They were much more aggressive and playing WITH each other. They had long film and coaches sessions and the seniors had a "coming to Jesus" player only meeting with them the day before yesterday to "re-focus" on the last half of the season. So you got a team that was right off a message about it's now or never. They showed me last night they aren't ready to give up on the season. When HHS plays like that, they are a really good team. Still wish they'd make more of their darn layups, but still pretty good.

Trust me they aren't the only ones that miss layups, it must be just girls basketball in general it leaves you scratching your eye out LOL.

Glad to see they played aggressive in the end that will play off because being the aggressor gets you to the foul line and they are very good from the line.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be too hard on them. HHS does that to a lot of teams. They are very creative on defense and execute defensively very well. That's one of their strengths. Remember, there were some that picked this HHS to win the 9th in preseason. They have not lived up to that because of the lack of intensity they have played with at times this year, but they are still good when they play with intensity like they did last night. What you saw last night was a different HHS team than what others have seen in the past couple weeks. They were much more aggressive and playing WITH each other. They had long film and coaches sessions and the seniors had a "coming to Jesus" player only meeting with them the day before yesterday to "re-focus" on the last half of the season. So you got a team that was right off a message about it's now or never. They showed me last night they aren't ready to give up on the season. When HHS plays like that, they are a really good team. Still wish they'd make more of their darn layups, but still pretty good.

I believe Mason needs one of those meetings!!!!!

Much more. In my opinion, they were the aggressor last night and I think the MC coach even mentioned that on the post game show on the radio. They were a different team last night.

Definitely agree with this comment. HHS was much more aggressive than MC offensively and defensively last night. It's a good thing MC clamped down on defense the last few possessions. And even then, HH did a nice job of getting a really good look as the horn sounded.

Just when I write them off they go and do that. If they are the aggressor and play physical they may be able to compete for the region. I noticed in the few games I have watched them Layups are an issue. Barth 1/8 were those all 3s and how does Leigh only get 5 shots? Leigh carried this team when they were playing well. Did only 5 people play for Highlands that's all you listed? I know RCC9 has said they were going to tighten up the rotation but wow that would be really tightening it up not to sub.

Just when I write them off they go and do that. If they are the aggressor and play physical they may be able to compete for the region. I noticed in the few games I have watched them Layups are an issue. Barth 1/8 were those all 3s and how does Leigh only get 5 shots? Leigh carried this team when they were playing well. Did only 5 people play for Highlands that's all you listed? I know RCC9 has said they were going to tighten up the rotation but wow that would be really tightening it up not to sub.

I actually thought HHS subbed a lot. It seemed like they sent 2 girls at time. So I would think they played 7 maybe 8. I think only 5 players scratched the scoreboard.

No, there were others that contributed. They just didn't score. But Macy Gabbard Izzy Schultz and Emma Little always contribute greatly in other ways. Especially on defense and rebounding. Just was a little reluctant to call them out because they didn't score and people place so much emphasis on that. They should be Jansen back soon as well. (concussion)

Barth only took 1 three point shot last night.

As far as Leigh, I think it's a combination of things. Sometimes they miss her in the post or wait too long to throw it (when it's not in the hands of their main ball handlers), sometimes she doesn't work hard enough for the ball, sometimes she passes up shots (too good to do that!) and sometimes physical play slows her down a little. Not being hard on her, I coached her and she knows I'd say the same thing right to her.

I believe Mason needs one of those meetings!!!!!

Haven't seen MC play this year but it seems your being a little to hard after a good win and going 2-0 for the week, they beat a good Highlands so they couldn't have played that bad.

Haven't seen MC play this year but it seems your being a little to hard after a good win and going 2-0 for the week, they beat a good Highlands so they couldn't have played that bad.

"Just win baby!"

Has Mason County played all their tough games at home? If so, not going to get those friendly 10th region officials and home cooking at the state tournament! A tough loss on the road probably prepares you better for tournament time.

This is why I asked if anything crazy happened in this game.

This is why I asked if anything crazy happened in this game.

I'm not saying anything regarding whether MC merited this win or the previous one. My only point is preparation for tournaments is the ultimate goal and playing tough teams on the road, or, neutral courts is better preparation. More exposure to hostile environments and officiating unfamiliar with your squad.