Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Simon Kenton 65 Covington Holy Cross 55

Featured Replies

30 ? Welcome to playing at SK. That allows those refs to not get scratched

 

Exactly my thought!

  • Replies 33
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering how many fouls HC committed at the end of the game to stop the clock? I wasn't at the game but a friend of mine said SK sealed the game by making all of their free throws in the last 1:30 or so. That tells me that HC was probably trying to steal or intentionently stop the clock to try and get back in the game. If that was the case then it appears the fouls were pretty evenly called.

Again, I wasn't there so I can't say this is 100% accurate but is what I was told.

I'm wondering how many fouls HC committed at the end of the game to stop the clock? I wasn't at the game but a friend of mine said SK sealed the game by making all of their free throws in the last 1:30 or so. That tells me that HC was probably trying to steal or intentionently stop the clock to try and get back in the game. If that was the case then it appears the fouls were pretty evenly called.

Again, I wasn't there so I can't say this is 100% accurate but is what I was told.

 

This is accurate. It was also perfectly reasonable by HC to foul SK, even with SK up double digits in the last 2 minutes. In the loss to Ryle, SK shot %40 from the line. With a number like that, I'd put SK on the line too!

Ok I've kept quiet long enough, SK came out and beat HC. True! HC did not play there best at any point in this game, as for officiating anyone who knows basketball knows that the officiating in this game was awful. Now I'm not at all saying HC lost because of officiating but while sitting with SK parents and there opinion on calls being horrible something is wrong! As stated by a precious poster calls driving to the basket being fair, please explain how you think that? How does HC get called for a walk twice while being tied up driving to the basket, but Neace drives does the same three step move and gets a no call? Explain to me how SK bits can stand in the paint for 6 seconds no movement at all, and not have 3 seconds called again even the SK patents I sat by counted multiple occasions this happened. Explain to me how meier blatantly throws an elbow to HC bigs mid section right in front of the official and gets a simple offensive foul called on her? Should have been a flegrent, technical or even an ejection. HC got called for multiple offensive fouls for "pushing off" yet a HC player gets pushed off into the scores table and it's a blocking foul? HC had Neace trapped right in front of SK bench she throws multiple elbows which caused HC fans in I erupt when nothing is called but a time out for SK even Stowers yells to HC fans get off her she won't throw elbows. Again all these calls where questioned by SK fans as well. Also like I stated earlier HC didn't show up to win either not at all blaming officiating for the loss, but to say this game was officiated evenly is a joke!

 

 

As far as the game went HC had good Games from multiple contributers, Mclendon had her game! Crigler came off the bench to hit big 3s beal had a great spert late in the game on offense but because of foul trouble only played sparingly tucker had great finished going to the basket and gabbered again played a great big game inside with her size. Just wasn't enough to get the win!

B

Ok I've kept quiet long enough, SK came out and beat HC. True! HC did not play there best at any point in this game, as for officiating anyone who knows basketball knows that the officiating in this game was awful. Now I'm not at all saying HC lost because of officiating but while sitting with SK parents and there opinion on calls being horrible something is wrong! As stated by a precious poster calls driving to the basket being fair, please explain how you think that? How does HC get called for a walk twice while being tied up driving to the basket, but Neace drives does the same three step move and gets a no call? Explain to me how SK bits can stand in the paint for 6 seconds no movement at all, and not have 3 seconds called again even the SK patents I sat by counted multiple occasions this happened. Explain to me how meier blatantly throws an elbow to HC bigs mid section right in front of the official and gets a simple offensive foul called on her? Should have been a flegrent, technical or even an ejection. HC got called for multiple offensive fouls for "pushing off" yet a HC player gets pushed off into the scores table and it's a blocking foul? HC had Neace trapped right in front of SK bench she throws multiple elbows which caused HC fans in I erupt when nothing is called but a time out for SK even Stowers yells to HC fans get off her she won't throw elbows. Again all these calls where questioned by SK fans as well. Also like I stated earlier HC didn't show up to win either not at all blaming officiating for the loss, but to say this game was officiated evenly is a joke!

 

 

As far as the game went HC had good Games from multiple contributers, Mclendon had her game! Crigler came off the bench to hit big 3s beal had a great spert late in the game on offense but because of foul trouble only played sparingly tucker had great finished going to the basket and gabbered again played a great big game inside with her size. Just wasn't enough to get the win!

 

Not going to argue the officiating. Welcome to the 8th region. But the officiating in this game compared to what SK and NDA endured the game before was a lot better believe me. To be honest, I felt like if SK could keep it within 10 pts. Even in a loss, I would consider it good and move on. It's true HC probably didn't play their best in this game, but I will go out on a limb and say SK didn't either. Many unforced errors, bad shot selection at times, and lazy defense at times. Boys, this very young team is only in the early stages of playing as a team. When it actually does, it's gonna be something to see. It may not happen, but I'm banking on the the fact that it will. The fact that they have played 3 veteran teams close is a testament to the talent and coaching in this program.

Ok I've kept quiet long enough, SK came out and beat HC. True! HC did not play there best at any point in this game, as for officiating anyone who knows basketball knows that the officiating in this game was awful. Now I'm not at all saying HC lost because of officiating but while sitting with SK parents and there opinion on calls being horrible something is wrong! As stated by a precious poster calls driving to the basket being fair, please explain how you think that? How does HC get called for a walk twice while being tied up driving to the basket, but Neace drives does the same three step move and gets a no call? Explain to me how SK bits can stand in the paint for 6 seconds no movement at all, and not have 3 seconds called again even the SK patents I sat by counted multiple occasions this happened. Explain to me how meier blatantly throws an elbow to HC bigs mid section right in front of the official and gets a simple offensive foul called on her? Should have been a flegrent, technical or even an ejection. HC got called for multiple offensive fouls for "pushing off" yet a HC player gets pushed off into the scores table and it's a blocking foul? HC had Neace trapped right in front of SK bench she throws multiple elbows which caused HC fans in I erupt when nothing is called but a time out for SK even Stowers yells to HC fans get off her she won't throw elbows. Again all these calls where questioned by SK fans as well. Also like I stated earlier HC didn't show up to win either not at all blaming officiating for the loss, but to say this game was officiated evenly is a joke!

 

 

As far as the game went HC had good Games from multiple contributers, Mclendon had her game! Crigler came off the bench to hit big 3s beal had a great spert late in the game on offense but because of foul trouble only played sparingly tucker had great finished going to the basket and gabbered again played a great big game inside with her size. Just wasn't enough to get the win!

 

Obviously you don't know basketball at all, there were plenty of time for holy cross to win this game. As for the traveling calls and such. Ally's move is a Euro step it's 2 steps.Which is perfectly legal in basketball. 3 seconds is not a true 3 seconds certain parameters have to be met, both feet in the lane, player in possession of the ball can not be called for it, and if there is a shot in the air 3 seconds is suspended and starts over if the team regains possession. The elbow from Meier was she was protecting herself she was getting pushed off the block the entire game being displaced and she had enough of it. It did not meet the basketball rule requirements for a flagrant nor did it meet anywhere near a ejectionable foul. Nice try though. The reason for McClendons offensive fouls were that she gained separation when she went in her drives and gained an advantage over a defensive player in legal defensive position.

 

I'm not saying SK is perfect by any means or are they at all the best team ever. But theplayed within the playing rules and made big key baskets and made defensive stops. Holy Cross just got out played and couldn't seal it when they had the chance to.

 

Don't take anything away from the Girls man. OFFICIATING HAD NOTHING to do with this game it was even the entire way.

I wish someone could tell me if I am accurate. I thought displacement from the block using hands or bent arm was not allowable. Is this true? I have seen this in about every game I have seen this year and find it frustrating that some refs make this call when most don't. If this is this is the rule then I think a lot of inconsistency in making this type of call only frustrates the players and fans watching.

Obviously you don't know basketball at all, there were plenty of time for holy cross to win this game. As for the traveling calls and such. Ally's move is a Euro step it's 2 steps.Which is perfectly legal in basketball. 3 seconds is not a true 3 seconds certain parameters have to be met, both feet in the lane, player in possession of the ball can not be called for it, and if there is a shot in the air 3 seconds is suspended and starts over if the team regains possession. The elbow from Meier was she was protecting herself she was getting pushed off the block the entire game being displaced and she had enough of it. It did not meet the basketball rule requirements for a flagrant nor did it meet anywhere near a ejectionable foul. Nice try though. The reason for McClendons offensive fouls were that she gained separation when she went in her drives and gained an advantage over a defensive player in legal defensive position.

 

I'm not saying SK is perfect by any means or are they at all the best team ever. But theplayed within the playing rules and made big key baskets and made defensive stops. Holy Cross just got out played and couldn't seal it when they had the chance to.

 

Don't take anything away from the Girls man. OFFICIATING HAD NOTHING to do with this game it was even the entire way.

 

Travel call is the most misunderstood call by fans AND it sometimes gets missed by refs. I missed one tonight and it was an easy one. Brain was just not there on that one. Sometimes a ref can't see what the fans see because of looking through other players.

 

The Euro step looks funny and I know that most fans think anything that looks odd has to be a travel. Heck, some officials do as well.

 

Three seconds: You do not have to have both feet in the lane for the count to start. The lines are considered to part of the lane.

 

You are correct that there are times when the count ends or the count is suspended. A shot is one of those times where it ends and re-sets if the offense rebounds.

 

Elbow: The other poster said it should have been called a technical among other options. A T is NEVER an option for a foul during live ball play. It could be flagrant or it could be intentional.

Obviously you don't know basketball at all, there were plenty of time for holy cross to win this game. As for the traveling calls and such. Ally's move is a Euro step it's 2 steps.Which is perfectly legal in basketball. 3 seconds is not a true 3 seconds certain parameters have to be met, both feet in the lane, player in possession of the ball can not be called for it, and if there is a shot in the air 3 seconds is suspended and starts over if the team regains possession. The elbow from Meier was she was protecting herself she was getting pushed off the block the entire game being displaced and she had enough of it. It did not meet the basketball rule requirements for a flagrant nor did it meet anywhere near a ejectionable foul. Nice try though. The reason for McClendons offensive fouls were that she gained separation when she went in her drives and gained an advantage over a defensive player in legal defensive position.

 

I'm not saying SK is perfect by any means or are they at all the best team ever. But theplayed within the playing rules and made big key baskets and made defensive stops. Holy Cross just got out played and couldn't seal it when they had the chance to.

 

Don't take anything away from the Girls man. OFFICIATING HAD NOTHING to do with this game it was even the entire way.

 

I have no desire to get into this "discussion". I just want to correct one thing. If you take two full steps, it is not legal. It is a walk. Player gets ONE step AFTER picking up their dribble. With the next step they take (2nd), the ball has to be shot or passed before that step is complete (foot lands back on the floor). I guess you could say they get 1 and 7/8 of a step. Sorry to split hairs, but the two steps quote is not technically legal. I am not trying to be offensive here, just thorough.

 

And if Ally was able to Euro Step without a walk call, then that is great news for the 8th region officials. Perhaps some have evolved into modern basketball and not just calling a walk because it looks funny and the crowd yells. Last season they called a eurostep a walk ALL THE TIME.

 

Had a nice thread and discussion with Clyde on this last year that was very helpful.

Huh, look at that. While I was typing, Clyde responded. Johnny on the spot.

I have no desire to get into this "discussion". I just want to correct one thing. If you take two full steps, it is not legal. It is a walk. Player gets ONE step AFTER picking up their dribble. With the next step they take (2nd), the ball has to be shot or passed before that step is complete (foot lands back on the floor). I guess you could say they get 1 and 7/8 of a step. Sorry to split hairs, but the two steps quote is not technically legal. I am not trying to be offensive here, just thorough.

 

And if Ally was able to Euro Step without a walk call, then that is great news for the 8th region officials. Perhaps they some have evolved into modern basketball and not just calling a walk because it looks funny and the crowd yells. Last season they called a eurostep a walk ALL THE TIME.

 

Had a nice thread and discussion with Clyde on this last year that was very helpful.

 

The challenge for the official is to determine when the ball was picked up and was a foot on the ground when it was. You'll get a bunch of different answers even watching replays of the move sometimes.

 

A walk is simple to define. If your pivot foot leaves the floor and lands before you pass or shoot (or lose possession) it's a travel.

Thank you Clyde and Triple 7. Nothing frustrates me more when you are sitting in the stands and you hear parents yell..." He didn't walk he is allowed 2 steps!!" or the proverbial 3 seconds when players are fighting for a rebound (no control) and fans are yelling "...your terrible! They have been in the lane for 8 seconds...." Again, no control over the ball as shots are going up.

Also, love the over the back explanation " She clearly went right over her back and got the rebound" When there was absolutely no contact the player just simply jumped over her.

I actually wish ref's would get a better grip of the Euro step. I have seen kids on multiple occasions take two full lunges (easy call) and they allow it as if it was the Euro. I truly believe the officials don't always full understand this move.

Thank you Clyde and Triple 7. Nothing frustrates me more when you are sitting in the stands and you hear parents yell..." He didn't walk he is allowed 2 steps!!" or the proverbial 3 seconds when players are fighting for a rebound (no control) and fans are yelling "...your terrible! They have been in the lane for 8 seconds...." Again' date=' no control over the ball as shots are going up. Also, love the over the back explanation " She clearly went right over her back and got the rebound" When there was absolutely no contact the player just simply jumped over her.[/quote']

 

"Over the back" is a snap statement from many.

I wish someone could tell me if I am accurate. I thought displacement from the block using hands or bent arm was not allowable. Is this true? I have seen this in about every game I have seen this year and find it frustrating that some refs make this call when most don't. If this is this is the rule then I think a lot of inconsistency in making this type of call only frustrates the players and fans watching.

 

You can keep in contact with the offensive player with a hand or arm, as long as you are in a legal defensive guarding position, you can not use any force nor your body weight to push them off the block. Honestly I think it's one of the hardest calls for an official to make wether the defensive player is just in contact or does she actually displace or force the offensive player from the spot on the floor. Because legally both players have the right to the same spot on the floor

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.