Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Simon Kenton 65 Covington Holy Cross 55

Featured Replies

I have no desire to get into this "discussion". I just want to correct one thing. If you take two full steps, it is not legal. It is a walk. Player gets ONE step AFTER picking up their dribble. With the next step they take (2nd), the ball has to be shot or passed before that step is complete (foot lands back on the floor). I guess you could say they get 1 and 7/8 of a step. Sorry to split hairs, but the two steps quote is not technically legal. I am not trying to be offensive here, just thorough.

 

And if Ally was able to Euro Step without a walk call, then that is great news for the 8th region officials. Perhaps some have evolved into modern basketball and not just calling a walk because it looks funny and the crowd yells. Last season they called a eurostep a walk ALL THE TIME.

 

Had a nice thread and discussion with Clyde on this last year that was very helpful.

 

a Eurostep is the same as a regular layup but your "1 & 7/8th" step are to the side n not forward, the shot goes up on that last 7/8th step just like a regular straight forward layup. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it's illegal, it's not a walk on any level of play. I just talked to a good friend of mine who is a Div. 1 coach and that is what he had to say about it

  • Replies 33
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again was not stating that HC lost this game because of officiating! Was clearly stating that the officiating in this game was no where near even. The walk call was called on Mclendon as soon as she took a step, Neace would take off from above the foul line and end up shooting a lay up with no call? The offensive fouls on Mclendon where ghost calls as soon as she would blow by a defender the whistle was blown for a foul or a carry. Far far far away from being officiated evenly. AGAIN NOT SAYING HC LOST BECAUSE OF OFFICIATING!

Also the 3-second calls that where not made but one time would be when SK has the ball just past half court no shot being taken, and the post player would be standing dead center of the paint posting up against HC bigs for a total of (and we counted SK fans and myself included) 6-8 seconds multiple times during the game. How do you negate/restart the time on that? Also the elbows, if I do believe and correct me if I'm wrong the rule has change about swinging through with the elbows and using them to clear space? The elbow by Meier was completely uncalled for and in mine as well as others a dirty play. She wasn't being pushed she wasn't being leaned on she didn't even have a pass coming her way she just blatantly threw the elbow. As for the elbows by Neace I can understand why she did it beings I've been in that position before being trapped and nowhere to go but to continuously throw them back and forth is to much. For the "carries" to be called on Mclendon is a very laughable call as well, because about 80% of girls playing high school basketball carry the ball everytime they dribble because of strength issues it goes uncalled. Mclendon is smooth with the ball and so quick I don't know how she can be called for a carry doing a simple cross over. Again SK played a great game they hit shots when they needed them. Also made there free throws late they deserved to win the game not taking anything away from them one bit! All I'm stating is the officiating was poor at best and majority of games I've attended at SK which has been ALOT they seemed to get a very great margin of home court calls!

Also the 3-second calls that where not made but one time would be when SK has the ball just past half court no shot being taken, and the post player would be standing dead center of the paint posting up against HC bigs for a total of (and we counted SK fans and myself included) 6-8 seconds multiple times during the game. How do you negate/restart the time on that? Also the elbows, if I do believe and correct me if I'm wrong the rule has change about swinging through with the elbows and using them to clear space? The elbow by Meier was completely uncalled for and in mine as well as others a dirty play. She wasn't being pushed she wasn't being leaned on she didn't even have a pass coming her way she just blatantly threw the elbow. As for the elbows by Neace I can understand why she did it beings I've been in that position before being trapped and nowhere to go but to continuously throw them back and forth is to much. For the "carries" to be called on Mclendon is a very laughable call as well, because about 80% of girls playing high school basketball carry the ball everytime they dribble because of strength issues it goes uncalled. Mclendon is smooth with the ball and so quick I don't know how she can be called for a carry doing a simple cross over. Again SK played a great game they hit shots when they needed them. Also made there free throws late they deserved to win the game not taking anything away from them one bit! All I'm stating is the officiating was poor at best and majority of games I've attended at SK which has been ALOT they seemed to get a very great margin of home court calls!

 

Not sure to Laugh or to just shake my head.

 

1st thing is McClendon gained clear separation when she drove that's why she got called for it. 2nd i'm not going to even respond to your 3-second comment the count was called as it should have been. 3rd I will agree with you on carrying the ball but when you put your entire hand underneath the ball and turn it over that is when you have to make the call and that is what happened in this situation. McClendon is a good player but she is not at all smooth with the ball I am not sure if any of the guards up here are smooth with the ball that you are saying. As for Ally picking up at the foul line and making a lay up I can probably get a bunch of the NKY guards to do the same move very easy to make it. as for Home Court calls the 9th region probably is the worst for this especially if the officials have it out for a coach or team. Yes they are supposed to be neutral and not have a favorite but in the voice of the great Chris Burman Com' On Man. The 9th region has a majority of them that shouldn't be doing varsity ball I can probably think of about 9 or 10 really good officials in that region as well as the 8th and their were 2 decent ones for this game.

 

Rant over

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.