Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MSBB 8th Grade Boyle County 44 Mercer County 43

Featured Replies

  • Author

I've been around basketball my whole life on many levels. They already run plenty EVERY SINGLE PRACTICE, so to have to run "extra" to be able to play is stupid as it gets. Having to work your way back in the rotation is totally understandable and expected. To run so much the game isn't fun/worth it anymore is the epitome of ignorant.

 

My understanding is SERVERAL kids on Team KY are not penalized with running because of missing middle school basketball games/practice yet ours are?!?!

 

If the coach is in the same school as the kids...HE HAS HAD PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TO THEM ABOUT THE SITUATION. If he didn't, it's squarely on HIS shoulders IMO. His job is to get these kids to the high school. Period.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been around basketball my whole life on many levels. They already run plenty EVERY SINGLE PRACTICE, so to have to run "extra" to be able to play is stupid as it gets. Having to work your way back in the rotation is totally understandable and expected. To run so much the game isn't fun/worth it anymore is the epitome of ignorant.

 

My understanding is SERVERAL kids on Team KY are not penalized with running because of missing middle school basketball games/practice yet ours are?!?!

 

If the coach is in the same school as the kids...HE HAS HAD PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TO THEM ABOUT THE SITUATION. If he didn't, it's squarely on HIS shoulders IMO. His job is to get these kids to the high school. Period.

 

First, what other coaches do is irrelevant. It's not AAU. You can't pick your coach.

 

Coach has rules. They don't seem overly harsh. Kid could knock it out easily if he wanted to. He doesn't want to play enough to do the work. Fine. His choice.

 

Not the coach's fault.

I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I was under the impression that Boyle was intending to set the same limits as BG. The BG ultimatum was the situation I had the problem with.

I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I was under the impression that Boyle was intending to set the same limits as BG. The BG ultimatum was the situation I had the problem with.

 

I missed that. Are you saying the middle school coaches are making a kid choose?

I missed that. Are you saying the middle school coaches are making a kid choose?

 

I'm unsure if middle school or high school basketball coaches were involved with those restrictions. But yes, from what I understand, basketball coaches basically said no basketball if you participate with the Kentucky football team. Kid was torn on what to do. Making that decision as a 14 year old is tough when you want to excel at both. I'm sure opinions differ, but it should not be a decision at this age in my opinion. Both should be an option.

I'm unsure if middle school or high school basketball coaches were involved with those restrictions. But yes, from what I understand, basketball coaches basically said no basketball if you participate with the Kentucky football team. Kid was torn on what to do. Making that decision as a 14 year old is tough when you want to excel at both. I'm sure opinions differ, but it should not be a decision at this age in my opinion. Both should be an option.

 

Gotcha. I assume the "Kentucky football team" is some sort of all-star team?

 

Seems short-sighted by the basketball coach. If I were the varsity coach I'd make sure the middle school coach put the kid on the team. I'm not having my future varsity roster determined by a JR high coach who is inflexible.

  • Author

No feathers ruffled here!!

 

Just agreeing to disagree.

  • Author
Gotcha. I assume the "Kentucky football team" is some sort of all-star team?

 

Seems short-sighted by the basketball coach. If I were the varsity coach I'd make sure the middle school coach put the kid on the team. I'm not having my future varsity roster determined by a JR high coach who is inflexible.

 

Bingo.

 

And no matter how it's being spun on here...this is EXACTLY what's being done at BCMS.

Bingo.

 

And no matter how it's being spun on here...this is EXACTLY what's being done at BCMS.

 

How so? If I'm reading correctly BG is not ALLOWING the kid to do both.

 

BC is making them run the sprints/4 lines they missed in order to catch up.

 

Hardly the same.

 

Simple question: Why can't the kid you know just run the extra? He doesn't have to run them all at once. He doesn't have to run them hard or fast. Seems easy.

 

What's the issue?

Gotcha. I assume the "Kentucky football team" is some sort of all-star team?

 

Seems short-sighted by the basketball coach. If I were the varsity coach I'd make sure the middle school coach put the kid on the team. I'm not having my future varsity roster determined by a JR high coach who is inflexible.

 

Yes, it's essentially labeled as the top 35 players in the state. In actuality, it's missing a few of the top because of basketball or injuries.

 

I try to be as open-minded as possible on this issue. To the high school basketball coach's credit, the kid in question will probably get varsity reps this season as an 8th grader. However, I still don't see the reason for them limiting him from varsity because of this opportunity.

  • Author

I don't know about the kids specifically.

 

I just find it ridiculous that they are getting flack when clearly other middle schools aren't doing the same with their student athletes.

 

Seems kinda short sighted.

 

The goal is to keep kids engaged in sports (especially in middle school) not run them off. The kids that are involved are all great kids that would be a shame to lose because of a lack of communication or stupid amounts of punishment.

I've been around basketball my whole life on many levels. They already run plenty EVERY SINGLE PRACTICE, so to have to run "extra" to be able to play is stupid as it gets. Having to work your way back in the rotation is totally understandable and expected. To run so much the game isn't fun/worth it anymore is the epitome of ignorant.

 

My understanding is SERVERAL kids on Team KY are not penalized with running because of missing middle school basketball games/practice yet ours are?!?!

 

If the coach is in the same school as the kids...HE HAS HAD PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TO THEM ABOUT THE SITUATION. If he didn't, it's squarely on HIS shoulders IMO. His job is to get these kids to the high school. Period.

 

So basically what you are saying is the Team KY kids should be allowed to miss practice with no consequences at all but all of the other kids who missed practices for being sick, doctor's appointment, out of town trips, church camps, etc should still suffer the same consequences that every other kid who chose to play basketball for BCMS has?

 

The kids are the ones who want special treatment. Not the coach. They know the rules. After that they decide if they want to follow them or not. How do you know other Team KY kids weren't penalized? I know for a fact that a kid missing two days of practice to attend church camp ran his lakers before he left for church camp because he wanted to continue to be a part of the team.

 

Like I said earlier, if these kids can't handle this then they won't last for Steve. That's a given. Spatola is in the school and should talk to the kids? Come on, man. Why should he be going around begging them to play when they are making it clear they don't want to play by his rules? Spatola isn't going to beg anyone to play and Steve sure as hell isn't going to beg them to play either. Looks like they have to decide just how much they like basketball. Spatola is preparing them for high school. They just don't know it yet.

  • Author

Again...agree to disagree. I'm out.

I've been around basketball my whole life on many levels. They already run plenty EVERY SINGLE PRACTICE, so to have to run "extra" to be able to play is stupid as it gets. Having to work your way back in the rotation is totally understandable and expected. To run so much the game isn't fun/worth it anymore is the epitome of ignorant.

 

My understanding is SERVERAL kids on Team KY are not penalized with running because of missing middle school basketball games/practice yet ours are?!?!

 

If the coach is in the same school as the kids...HE HAS HAD PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TO THEM ABOUT THE SITUATION. If he didn't, it's squarely on HIS shoulders IMO. His job is to get these kids to the high school. Period.

 

You are actually making the BCMS coaches argument for him in regards to making the kids run. You said kids run plenty in basketball practice. Well, those kids MISSED a practice, in turn missing out on all that running. Thus, them running Lakers isn't "extra" running, it's just making up for what they missed. I have no problem with it what so ever.

 

On the other hand, I'd have no problem with a coach who didn't require the kids to run for missing practice because of this specific situation either. However, I agree with @Clyde above, these kids not wanting to run for missing a practice, especially the way they are allowed to make it up (25 Lakers over the coarse of the week...that's nothing really)...then those kids didn't really want to play basketball to begin with.

  • Author

This is very simple...either:

 

They didn't wanna play basketball.

 

or

 

They felt like the punishment for missing basketball related events in favor of a once-in-lifetime opportunity was too much. I mean it isn't like they are sitting around eating Bon-Bons and playing X Box...they are still practicing and exerting energy. To have to run "punishment lakers" on top of that seems ridiculous IMO.

 

Personally I don't blame them for whatever the reason was. Because in the long run...it's about THEM and what's best for them. If they feel it's in their best interest to not play basketball (for whatever reason), good for them.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.