Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MSBB 8th Grade Boyle County 44 Mercer County 43

Featured Replies

I would assume that most basketball coaches would require late arrivals to the season have some type of make-up. We do that for football players who play in extended baseball seasons with all-star festivities as well. It's not severe, but just to make-up where you missed in practice. Not punishment, just to be fair to their teammates and to keep conditioning a focus. We've never told a kid they couldn't play because of an extended season in another sport.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very simple...either:

 

They didn't wanna play basketball.

 

or

 

They felt like the punishment for missing basketball related events in favor of a once-in-lifetime opportunity was too much. I mean it isn't like they are sitting around eating Bon-Bons and playing X Box...they are still practicing and exerting energy. To have to run "punishment lakers" on top of that seems ridiculous IMO.

 

Personally I don't blame them for whatever the reason was. Because in the long run...it's about THEM and what's best for them. If they feel it's in their best interest to not play basketball (for whatever reason), good for them.

 

Like I said, they may want to evaluate how much they like basketball before they get to high school. If this "punishment" for missing practice is too harsh for them.......

I would assume that most basketball coaches would require late arrivals to the season have some type of make-up. We do that for football players who play in extended baseball seasons with all-star festivities as well. It's not severe, but just to make-up where you missed in practice. Not punishment, just to be fair to their teammates and to keep conditioning a focus. We've never told a kid they couldn't play because of an extended season in another sport.

 

Boyle County hasn't either. Nobody told those boys they couldn't play both. They just didn't get preferential treatment because of their situation and THAT is the issue and that isn't spin.

The Boyle County football team would not be very good if young men were allowed to just miss practice for something else without any reprocussion. In my mind middle school is about preparing them for the High School and I don't see any high school coaches allowing kids to just miss, if they do I would say they don't have a very good program. Having to make up practice time or running that the other kids are having to go through seems pretty small thing to have to do. I just can't make sense of a kid being allowed to just miss practice for another sport but walk in and expect to play.

Boyle County hasn't either. Nobody told those boys they couldn't play both. They just didn't get preferential treatment because of their situation and THAT is the issue and that isn't spin.

 

I understand the Boyle situation much better now and it makes sense. The BG situation still makes very little sense to me. Those guys did tell the kid to choose and only play one. That's the only thing I disagree with.

  • Author
Boyle County hasn't either. Nobody told those boys they couldn't play both. They just didn't get preferential treatment because of their situation and THAT is the issue and that isn't spin.

 

I know all those kids and I can guarantee you that no preferential treatment was requested. You shouldn't insinuate it was.

  • Author
Like I said, they may want to evaluate how much they like basketball before they get to high school. If this "punishment" for missing practice is too harsh for them.......

 

Agreed.

 

And maybe the BCMS basketball coach should make a better attempt doing what's best for the kid AND the program.

I understand the Boyle situation much better now and it makes sense. The BG situation still makes very little sense to me. Those guys did tell the kid to choose and only play one. That's the only thing I disagree with.

 

If it is who I think it is then I am thinking he chose football didn't he? I hope he does get some time with the high school teams at BGHS. True dual talent in both sports.

Agreed.

 

And maybe the BCMS basketball coach should make a better attempt doing what's best for the kid AND the program.

 

By equally enforcing the rules to each kid regardless of the circumstance......

  • Author
By equally enforcing the rules to each kid regardless of the circumstance......

 

Lol, right.

If it is who I think it is then I am thinking he chose football didn't he? I hope he does get some time with the high school teams at BGHS. True dual talent in both sports.

 

Yes, you are thinking correctly. No, he chose the basketball route but was genuinely torn. Very good athlete and well deserving of both opportunities in Kentucky football and BG varsity basketball.

I know all those kids and I can guarantee you that no preferential treatment was requested. You shouldn't insinuate it was.

 

Choosing not to play because they have to adhere to the same rules as everyone else is wanting preferential treatment no matter how you try to slice it. Did they request it? No. But you are the one who said they chose accordingly when told they'd have to run lakers for each practice that they missed.

 

Did the coach tell them that personally when they went to talk to the coach? Did they even go to the coach and express their desire to the coach that they wanted to do both? Or did they just quit basketball after being told they made the basketball team so they could play football? Weren't basketball tryouts held after the middle school team's football season ended? Didn't they wait to see who wanted to play basketball from the football team and then have tryouts and these boys made the team over others who were cut and then they all quit to play football?

Yes, you are thinking correctly. No, he chose the basketball route but was genuinely torn. Very good athlete and well deserving of both opportunities in Kentucky football and BG varsity basketball.

 

No doubt. I selfishly hope he continues to flourish at BG. :D

  • Author
Choosing not to play because they have to adhere to the same rules as everyone else is wanting preferential treatment no matter how you try to slice it. Did they request it? No. But you are the one who said they chose accordingly when told they'd have to run lakers for each practice that they missed.

 

Did the coach tell them that personally when they went to talk to the coach? Did they even go to the coach and express their desire to the coach that they wanted to do both? Or did they just quit basketball after being told they made the basketball team so they could play football? Weren't basketball tryouts held after the middle school team's football season ended? Didn't they wait to see who wanted to play basketball from the football team and then have tryouts and these boys made the team over others who were cut and then they all quit to play football?

 

Next time I see you we can carry on this conversation.

 

;)

Next time I see you we can carry on this conversation.

 

;)

 

Sounds good. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.