Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MSBB 8th Grade Boyle County 44 Mercer County 43

Featured Replies

  • Author
Is the basketball coach not allowing them to come out after the Kentucky football experience?

 

They were going to have to run a ridiculous amount of "punishment" if they missed basketball activities. They weighed their options and chose accordingly.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were going to have to run a ridiculous amount of "punishment" if they missed basketball activities. They weighed their options and chose accordingly.

 

That's been a rule of his as long as he has been coach. If you miss practice then you run. Plenty of kids in the past have ran it to continue to be a part of the team. Can't start making exceptions now.

  • Author

....then it's been a stupid rule ever since he started coaching. ;)

Edited by WhoYaWith

I'm ok with some extra conditioning, but you don't relay it as "punishment." Even some game suspensions to start them out when they come back to let them catch up in practices. I think the basketball vs. football coaching battle is ridiculous, especially at this age. I love my school, but if the administration didn't give my kids the best opportunities possible in whatever athletic endeavors they wanted to pursue, I'd be finding another school. They shouldn't have to basically be forced to choose between two sports at this age.

They were going to have to run a ridiculous amount of "punishment" if they missed basketball activities. They weighed their options and chose accordingly.

 

Quantify "ridiculous amount" for us.

Quantify "ridiculous amount" for us.

 

25 untimed Lakers(suicides for us old school folk) for each practice missed. In this case I am not sure how many practices would have been missed. They can be made up all at once, broken down over time, done during school in PE, etc. They just have to be done anytime before a game in order to play in a game.

 

The way I understand it they'd miss one basketball practice a week while playing football so it would have been 25 extra lakers per week. I was told they didn't even stick around long enough to find out what the "punishment" was. They heard they had to run and decided they didn't want to run at all and chose not to play basketball.

 

That's on them and not the coach.

....then it's been a stupid rule ever since he started coaching. ;)

 

Well then maybe they should stick to football. If they can't handle Spat's rules then adjusting to the high school coaches may be a huge problem.

I'm ok with some extra conditioning, but you don't relay it as "punishment." Even some game suspensions to start them out when they come back to let them catch up in practices. I think the basketball vs. football coaching battle is ridiculous, especially at this age. I love my school, but if the administration didn't give my kids the best opportunities possible in whatever athletic endeavors they wanted to pursue, I'd be finding another school. They shouldn't have to basically be forced to choose between two sports at this age.

 

I think the football vs basketball coaching battle is ridiculous also. Especially at a football school.

The Kentucky football experience is only taking up Saturdays and Sundays. Does Boyle practice on weekends? That explanation makes more sense. At this age, most kids wouldn't know what will end up being their ticket to get their college paid for. That's my only argument.

25 untimed Lakers(suicides for us old school folk) for each practice missed. In this case I am not sure how many practices would have been missed. They can be made up all at once, broken down over time, done during school in PE, etc. They just have to be done anytime before a game in order to play in a game.

 

The way I understand it they'd miss one basketball practice a week while playing football so it would have been 25 extra lakers per week. I was told they didn't even stick around long enough to find out what the "punishment" was. They heard they had to run and decided they didn't want to run at all and chose not to play basketball.

 

That's on them and not the coach.

 

If you can spread them out to catch up and choose not to then you didn't really want to play.

And yes, I am extremely loyal to Coach Spatola. I was fortunate enough to coach with him the year my son was there. He genuinely cares for those boys and for Boyle County. He has an extensive background in basketball and knows the game as well as anyone at Boyle County. He treats everyone on the team fairly and also teaches commitment, accountability and discipline to every player who plays for him. I know firsthand how hard he works to field a successful team along with doing all he can to help these boys transition from preteen to teenagers. It's a shame that kids are encouraged to run away from discipline that has been the same discipline doled out for years to many many players. There isn't a sophomore at BCHS who hasn't ran at least 25 lakers for Spatola at some time in their 8th grade year. They'll be all right.

 

I can't help but wonder how bent out of shape folks would be if some of the football players decided to skip football practice to go play in AAU basketball tournaments during the football season.

The Kentucky football experience is only taking up Saturdays and Sundays. Does Boyle practice on weekends? That explanation makes more sense. At this age, most kids wouldn't know what will end up being their ticket to get their college paid for. That's my only argument.

 

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. A lot of weekend practices depends on opportunity. Also, if they practice on a Saturday they won't practice on a Sunday. It's likely they never would have missed a practice but they decided they didn't want to stick around and find out.

If you can spread them out to catch up and choose not to then you didn't really want to play.

 

That's how I see it also. Especially if they are untimed. Which they are.

 

Hell, the honor system is used when you run them. No one is counting to make sure they are even running a full 25 lakers. I know of plenty of kids who broke the honor system. Plenty. :lol2:

The Boyle situation makes much more sense now. Thanks for the clarification. My concern mostly revolves around Bowling Green. They gave their kids ultimatums on the opportunity. One or the other. Can't do both. That was the one that frustrated me.

The Boyle situation makes much more sense now. Thanks for the clarification. My concern mostly revolves around Bowling Green. They gave their kids ultimatums on the opportunity. One or the other. Can't do both. That was the one that frustrated me.

 

That is unfortunate. What is going on at the schools I love the most?!?!?!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.