2015 Thomas More Saints

uk#1fan

D3 is a tough way to go. Schools are expensive and without some substantial academic or government assistance most have to go in serious debt to attend. The demands and expectations of being on the team are very high also so little to no time for employment. I would steer my kid to NAIA or D2 if possible. That said, D3 is great for those who can do it and there are some very fine players at that level.

Some great posts in this thread.

I have always been a little skeptical of several Ky schools that Imo seem to run their programs has a "for profit" business.

When you look at rosters that reach the high 20's not counting the jv kids you have to wonder.

Parents need to watch for this when selecting a school. Sometimes intramurals at a large in state D1 school can be more fun and much more rewarding than weeding your way thru 25 upper classmen for 35,000$ a year.

I have always been a little skeptical of several Ky schools that Imo seem to run their programs has a "for profit" business.

All D3 schools have athletics in order to get more kids.

TMC did it with football. They've added quite a few sports in recent years.

How bad do you want to play college sports?

Nate is at NKU and did indeed go to the walk on try out. Coach Brannen wasn't there only asst coaches, and they really liked his game. After waiting three weeks to hear from them again, he went back and worked out for coach Brannen who watched for a total of 5 minutes and left. A week later was told he was more that they expected and was told he could practice with the team but couldn't dress in the locker room and wouldn't be on the roster this year to get red shirt year in could red shirt next year. Reason was because he didn't work out with the team all summer. Not sure why they even had the walk on try out.

Thanks for the clarity. I have always loved Nates game, watched him a few times at Thomas More and it was easy to see that he was their most talented and complete player. I'd have to think he could steal some significant minutes at NKU. There's no way the walk-ons currently on the roster are better than Nate McGovney.

I would say at the D3 level turnover is very high. Small schools are typically expensive and can only give academic funding to get costs somewhat in line for the student athlete. They usually carry large rosters and often will have a Jv team as well to plan for the turnover. Many kids have a love for the game and want to carry on their careers. Once in college they find out the work load of school and the game is a bunch, not to mention the wear and tear on the body. Factor in a kid doing both has little time to work. That leaves them building debt and re evaluating their options. I also think HS kids are used to pack gyms and a crazy atmosphere which few D3 colleges can repeat that. It is great that a kid at least tries to play at the next level. Not many are even offered the opportunity. It is a great experience and I'm sure none of them regret giving it a go. Their biggest regret would have been not trying it.

This is the absolute perfect answer for why there is such a high turnover rate in d3 athletics. At many small D3's, sports are an enrollment booster. My school's football team brings in about 110 every year, and there are never more than 30 seniors.

When you look at rosters that reach the high 20's not counting the jv kids you have to wonder.

Parents need to watch for this when selecting a school. Sometimes intramurals at a large in state D1 school can be more fun and much more rewarding than weeding your way thru 25 upper classmen for 35,000$ a year.

This varies greatly from school to school. But something that would worry me about a very small school would be lack of degree options compared to the big state schools. That being said, if a kid wants to keep playing then I'm all for it. But that's something I've always wondered if kids really think about. If playing for four more years is worth not being able to get the degree you want or study the topic you want to study.