Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

GOP Final Four

Featured Replies

Talking with friend today on which four of the ten candidates in the third GOP presidential debate will be left standing after the initial round of primaries. Do Carson and Trump have staying power? Is Rubio the GOP's best (young) bet to derail Hillary? Can we expect a resurgence from Paul or Christie? Do Huckabee or Fiorina have a legitimate shot? Post your final four choices.

 

My final four list:

 

Bush (money man)

Rubio (new kid on block)

Trump (favorite of the disenchanted)

Christie (my darkhorse choice)

I'm with you on your first three. I wish your fourth was right too, but I think Christie wasted his moment, which was in 2012. If I had to pick a fourth, I'd probably go with Cruz because he's so conservative.

 

Of the group, Rubio is the most electable IMO.

  • Author
I'm with you on your first three. I wish your fourth was right too, but I think Christie wasted his moment, which was in 2012. If I had to pick a fourth, I'd probably go with Cruz because he's so conservative.

 

Of the group, Rubio is the most electable IMO.

I agree that Rubio might be Hillary's toughest challenger. I went with Christie over Cruz for the fourth spot because I think Cruz and Trump both appeal to the same type of voter, and as long as Trump remains in the race, Cruz could be playing backup. Christie might appeal more to Republicans in Eastern blue states.

Big key is who has the money? Obviously Bush and Trump but after that who is collecting contributions in large enough amounts to stay in?

  • Author

Money raised by presidential candidates (in millions of dollars), according to N.Y. Times. The two that surprised me somewhat were Cruz and Sanders.

 

Bush -- 133.3

Hillary -- 97.7

Cruz -- 64.9

Rubio -- 47.7

Sanders -- 41.5

Carson -- 31.6

Christie -- 18.6

Paul -- 16.4

Kasich -- 16.1

Fiorina -- 12

Jindal -- 9.9

Huckabee -- 7.7

Graham -- 7.7

Trump -- 5.8

O'Malley -- 3.6

 

(Rest of the candidates have raised $1.3 million or less)

 

Walker dropped out having raised $33.6 million; Perry dropped out after raising $15.3 million.

 

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/election-2016-campaign-money-race.html?_r=0

I think Cruz and Trump both appeal to the same type of voter, and as long as Trump remains in the race, Cruz could be playing backup.

 

Good point.

 

I was thinking more of his conservatism & war chest.

Rubio and Bush for sure unless Bush becomes so joyless that he takes his Fan Duel and goes home to mama and papi, who will undoubtedly leave a couple of his thousand points of light on for Jeb.

 

Cruz is the smartest of the bunch and has appeal to the nutty element which seems to have taken over the party. He also has a good bit of cash on hand. If Trump doesn't do or say something to disqualify himself he has a shot since he appeals to the party's many xenophobes, who love their walls.

 

Carson will eventually say something so stupid that even Beach Boy Brian Wilson will say, "this guy's nuts." Look for him to say something like he has bats in his pantry and one of them speaks to him with the voice of Ellen G. White or that he would like to replace the Supreme Court justices with nine robots that look identical to Paula Deen.

Money raised by presidential candidates (in millions of dollars), according to N.Y. Times. The two that surprised me somewhat were Cruz and Sanders.

 

Bush -- 133.3

Hillary -- 97.7

Cruz -- 64.9

Rubio -- 47.7

Sanders -- 41.5

Carson -- 31.6

Christie -- 18.6

Paul -- 16.4

Kasich -- 16.1

Fiorina -- 12

Jindal -- 9.9

Huckabee -- 7.7

Graham -- 7.7

Trump -- 5.8

O'Malley -- 3.6

 

(Rest of the candidates have raised $1.3 million or less)

 

Walker dropped out having raised $33.6 million; Perry dropped out after raising $15.3 million.

 

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/election-2016-campaign-money-race.html?_r=0

 

 

 

Who in the hell would give Bobby Jindal a dollar besides the manager of the local Dunkin Donuts or Economy Inn?

I've always found him hard to listen to... very disingenuous and self-promoting(I know, like most all politicians). He just has never appealed to me. He has the charisma of bowl of plain oatmeal, minus the bowl.

Rubio and Bush for sure unless Bush becomes so joyless that he takes his Fan Duel and goes home to mama and papi, who will undoubtedly leave a couple of his thousand points of light on for Jeb.

 

Cruz is the smartest of the bunch and has appeal to the nutty element which seems to have taken over the party. He also has a good bit of cash on hand. If Trump doesn't do or say something to disqualify himself he has a shot since he appeals to the party's many xenophobes, who love their walls.

 

Carson will eventually say something so stupid that even Beach Boy Brian Wilson will say, "this guy's nuts." Look for him to say something like he has bats in his pantry and one of them speaks to him with the voice of Ellen G. White or that he would like to replace the Supreme Court justices with nine robots that look identical to Paula Deen.

 

You should have your own column or blog. This stuff is hilarious! Why aren't you ripping candidates on the other side and being this funny? Oh yeah, forgot those folks are perfect. :sarcastic:

 

Seriously, it IS funny stuff. And quit using big words like "xenophobes" that we have to look up. That's just too weird and foreign!

You should have your own column or blog. This stuff is hilarious! Why aren't you ripping candidates on the other side and being this funny? Oh yeah, forgot those folks are perfect. :sarcastic:

 

Seriously, it IS funny stuff. And quit using big words like "xenophobes" that we have to look up. That's just too weird and foreign!

 

LOL. You think there is material enough to rip on the Donkey side? I think there is plenty of material there to work with as well, don't you? There's just not as many of them. May see what I can do.

People forget Rubio and Bush have similar donors. One is going to be forced out by those donors so they can put full support behind the other. Bush may be stubborn and wait until NH results. But he is as good as done.

 

Final four as much as it pains me to leave Paul off.

 

Trump

Rubio

Fironia

Cruz.

 

Cruz is going to win over a lot of Carson support I predict.

I'd also add Cruz is an exceptional debater and it showed up in a big way last night. I've stated on here before the left tries to paint him as crazy. But when he gets a National stage to explain his positions and actions few are his peer.

 

More nights like last night Cruz name will be climbing the charts.

What are the candidates spending their money on, setting up their organizations in the different states? I have yet to see or hear an ad for anyone.

Money is being spent in key early states...Most candidates hope it's over before it gets to Kentucky...We may see little of that money spent here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.