Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Play clocks

Featured Replies

Just wondering how many high schools don't have play clocks in each end zone. I for one believe it should be a KHSAA rule . Every school should be responsible for providing these . Especially if your team is hosting a playoff game . Your thoughts ?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has become so common I assumed it was a rule.

My guess would be not very many. South does and I believe FS does.

 

I dont know of any other teams in south central ky area that has them but could be wrong. The booster club purchased for south in year 3 at Nelsons request.

 

i feel it makes game management easier for the teams when they have them but ultimate rule lies with ref and back judge.

 

With this said I wish more schools had them.

Seems to be a trend. Danville added over the summer and Boyle added this week. I know you must have them at both ends or coaches have to agree to play with one. But in a playoff game there has to be two working or both off. I guess there are some fields with just one or incorporated into main score board.

  • Author

I just believe it's a necessity. Your asking a lot out of a kid to try and manage a game by watching the scoreboard. Or even looking for help from the sideline.

Where are the play clocks physically located in the stadiums that have them? As in, what do they mount them to/on to make them visible?

Also, who is running the playclock? Is it controlled by the folks on the scoreboard crew in the pressbox, by an official in the pressbox, or by some kind of remote by an official on the field?

At south both endzones right side of goal post in between sideline and hash. Eye level.

 

There are specifics by khsaa as to location and minimum and maximum heights.

 

Souths are portable and only used for varsity games.

 

Also to note for clock management the back judge gives a 10 second warning by raising his hand then at 5 seconds he waves the count down with his hand waving above and down at an angle.

Edited by jcarter

Also, who is running the playclock? Is it controlled by the folks on the scoreboard crew in the pressbox, by an official in the pressbox, or by some kind of remote by an official on the field?

 

It is controlled in press box. Generally the game clock is controlled by a person. The play clock by another and scoreboard by a third person. These are generally volunteers.

 

Official meets with press box/clock keepers before game and gives instructions. This is the back judge. He is the official responsible for game time and delay of games. He has a clock on his side that keeps game time and play clock and is the official timer. Flag actually comes out on him he watches the delay clock if they have one and matches to his buzzer and flags on his buzzer. If the clocks are to far apart then he can request the play clocks turned off.

 

Play clock starts on refs whistle for ready to play.

 

Also back judge reports game time differences to ref who can request time added back to clock to match their clocks on the field. The refs can not control the play clocks from the field by rule.

I just believe it's a necessity. Your asking a lot out of a kid to try and manage a game by watching the scoreboard. Or even looking for help from the sideline.

 

Many ref crews will hold their hand up when it gets to 5 seconds, the back judge that is.

 

I agree, though. All should have them.

Somerset has them. That's the only place I have seen them.

Not 100 percent certain, but I think all four of the Bardstown/Nelson Co. area schools have them.

I've only been to a handful of places that have one.

 

I think it's easier to have one, and I've seen a team as recently as a few weeks ago regularly get about a 30 second play clock without a penalty. If it's visible, the officials can't ignore it.

I have never seen a play clock at a high school football game.

 

There a quite a few that have them. We installed them this year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.