Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Did Tyler Eifert catch the ball or not?

Featured Replies

I will leave it with this last comment. Seeing how more people than I thought weren't familiar with the rule even after last years Dez Bryant controversy and all.

 

You all do understand the difference between going to the ground and losing the ball and losing the ball while still standing correct?

 

If Eifert would of stayed upright and simply stretched his arms out so the ball broke the plain of the goal line and then got knocked out of his hands AFTER taking two steps, it would have been a TD. It was only because he was going to the ground in the act of the catch (he was hit before his second foot came down which led hiim to go to the ground and his second step came after being hit so he was already enroute to the ground that made it an incomplete catch.

 

Hope that helps.

 

Again, no guessing required from me to know the difference between those two different situations either.

 

I love how you have no problem determining a catch even though you don't know what the rule actually says (is this like the porn analogy, "I'll know it when I see it") but many of the top people don't understand it:

 

Sporting News Tyler Eifert TD called incomplete pass because ... why again? | NFL | Sporting News

 

SB Nation: Tyler Eifert scores TD according to everyone but the NFL - SBNation.com

 

The score: VIDEO: Tyler Eifert's would-be TD overturned as NFL catch rules remain a mystery | theScore

 

247 sports: Tyler Eifert overturn sparks latest round of rule criticism

 

Since they took the "football move" out of the rule, how long does a receiver have to have ball before he is considered a runner?

  • Replies 79
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love how you have no problem determining a catch even though you don't know what the rule actually says (is this like the porn analogy, "I'll know it when I see it") but many of the top people don't understand it:

 

Sporting News Tyler Eifert TD called incomplete pass because ... why again? | NFL | Sporting News

 

SB Nation: Tyler Eifert scores TD according to everyone but the NFL - SBNation.com

 

The score: VIDEO: Tyler Eifert's would-be TD overturned as NFL catch rules remain a mystery | theScore

 

247 sports: Tyler Eifert overturn sparks latest round of rule criticism

 

Since they took the "football move" out of the rule, how long does a receiver have to have ball before he is considered a runner?

I never said I didn't know what the rule was. Quit being ignorant. I said I don't know the exact wording in the rule book which is what I was asked earlier. Do you know the exact wording? Apparently not and I apparently did know what the rule was and that is why I got it right.

 

 

Do me a favor, tell me what the exact wording in the rule book is for a forward pass. I bet even you know what a pass is when you watch a game even if you don't know the exact wording of what a forward pass is in the NFL rule book.

 

Or maybe you don't.

 

To clear something up which I'm sure you also misunderstand. The rule itself in my opinion is idiotic. I had issues with it when they made

The rule the way it is. I hate it because even though the receiver has control of the ball he is now supposed to maintain control when he hits the ground and even the rules about fumbles don't even make the ball carrier do that. As far as fumbles the rules state the ground cannot cause a fumble and I believe that should be the same in this also.

 

If they would do away with that part of the rule then the play would have been a fumble which I would have no problem

With. The ball was actually knocked out of his hands by the foot of the defender.

 

I hate the rule. Think it's stupid. Think Johnson 2 years ago should have been given a YD and think Dez

Last year should have been a catch and think Eiferts should

Have been a TD. I think as soon as the ball breaks the plain the play should be over. Unfortunately the stupid rule as

It states today makes

It an incompletion and I don't agree with it.

 

If you or anyone else

doubts my knowledge in the rule go back to the game thread and you will see

my post when the play happened before the replay etc and I said ".Incomplete pass! Dang Eifert" I didn't say I guess it is, I said it is an incomplete pass

 

Wasn't a mystery to me.

Edited by GreyFox

It was a catch and you will never convince me otherwise.

Hmm basically same play today ruled a catch. Ball hit the ground

Hmm basically same play today ruled a catch. Ball hit the ground

 

Was driving back from Cleveland so I didn't see it on tv however listened to The game in Sirius xm on the way back and even Lap said it was an incomplete pass. Again stupid rule.

 

One more thing. Lanham is the absolute worst color man in the world. He won't shut up a and if I had to hear "time to put on your big boy pads" one more time I would have crapped my pants.

 

He is god awful. If I ever have to listen to the bengals broadcast team on Sirius again shoot me.

I know this also leaves room for error. However they just need to make it a rule that states it is the officials best judgement to make the call. Let common sense prevail when making a ruling on the catch.

I know this also leaves room for error. However they just need to make it a rule that states it is the officials best judgement to make the call. Let common sense prevail when making a ruling on the catch.

 

Well the officials are inept at best. So can't really agree. Just don't understand how the NFL justifies putting those clowns on the field

So, did anyone see the Golden Tate td today?

 

Yes, how is that a catch? I still don't get the rule.

Ruled an INT on the field. Booth overturns call on the field.

Change the dang rule and let common sense come in to play. Even put it in the rules stating it is the officials best judgement if it is a catch or not. That leaves some room for error too. However I think we will see a lot more catches that are truly caught rules catches and vice versa.

  • Author

They explained it, talked about him not going to the ground blah blah blah...

They explained it, talked about him not going to the ground blah blah blah...

 

Yep. Funny he wound up on his back without the football. I'm convinced no one clearly can explain the rules. Especially NFL officials

  • Author

Also on the Bengals broadcast, their expert disagreed with one call for sure and I thought he was in the gray on another and/or I have all that confused with the Tate stuff.

 

The NFL needs to get it together on the rules, replays, experts, etc... They are looking bad.

hopefully these plays will force the NFL to change the rule. I won't hold my breath though.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.