Electronic Devices in Helmets/Ears

Observer67

I know they are used on the professional level to direct players. Do any high schools use these devices and are they even legal in high school football?

They don't really direct players. They are on for a set period of time in between plays, and are then turned off. Pretty much only time for a play call. They are not on pre snap to help with reads, and only the QB on offense, and one designated player on defense have radio units in their helmet.

With the existence of bluetooth devices, how hard would it be to implement at the high school level?

Years ago, it would have cost a team thousands of dollars, but today maybe one hundred dollars and a smart phone would cover it.

With the existence of bluetooth devices, how hard would it be to implement at the high school level?

Years ago, it would have cost a team thousands of dollars, but today maybe one hundred dollars and a smart phone would cover it.

I think the problem with bluetooth would be the distances involved. Common Bluetooth only works reliably at distances less than 40 feet. You'd need a lot more working distance than that. There are apparently Class 1 bluetooth devices that can work up to 300 feet, but I've never seen one in person, and I would guess they are certainly more costly, and would not work with smartphones, which use the common Class 2 band.

Just a guess but with all NFL teams trying to get an advantage at all costs wonder if any are bending the rules with these devices. Guessing some are or have.

I believe the radio units are closely regulated to prevent this. I believe the NFL has some hand in their use. Again the units are only open for a short period of time, and not available during presnap. Also, if one teams radio malfunctions, the other team cannot use theirs. That's not to say it isn't possible to cheat, but I'd be highly surprised if there is cheating going on with the radio units.