Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dudley Part 2

Featured Replies

  • Author
Again, you don't teach kids that's it's ok to get back at people that have done you wrong. That's not how life works and is part of the problem with society today. Have some class and forget about them. Don't become part of the story.

 

That has been my whole point in starting this thread. Be the bigger man. By what cville did, does not that not all but guarantee that next year without the talent that they have this year, Dudley will not try to hang a half a hundred on them? Would that be classless? Absolutely! But did they ask for it?

  • Replies 61
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kendon and his class don't run the team. You fail to realize the amount of work the juniors do on the field alongside the seniors. I saw no Campbellsville players throwing cheap shots. I did see a lot from TC however. Not saying they didn't have a few, but for the most part I didn't see much.

 

People need to understand, at the very least, that this was a rivalry game. The ediquite and unwritten "rules" are rarely applied. You go in wanting to beat the other team as badly as possible. Let the scoreboard talk.

 

Dudley finally got a taste of his own medicine I suppose.

I'm not in the area enough to know how Campbellsville is ran first hand, but from what I've been told, they can give and take a whopping and not cry about it.

  • Author

I fully realize how much work the juniors put in. They practice right outside my office window everyday. Now if you want to play the game that the seniors are not a special group I would be careful treading there. Yes the juniors work hard but 314 out of the 374 rushing yards against Taylor were from seniors. 27 of the 40 passing yards were to a senior receiver. On defense, seniors accounted for 63 of the 121 tackles (either solo or assisted). To say they won't experience a drop off next year would not be quite accurate.

 

As for the cheap shots, I am not even going to go there. It was a rivalry game there were cheap shots on BOTH sides.

The seniors they have are a special group. Of course there will be a drop off, losing D1 talent in Young and some leadership, but they aren't going to go from championship contenders to busted team in a year. They will still be good. The seniors lead the team no doubt, but it's not JUST the seniors. And yes, I didn't say Cville didn't throw some cheap ones, but from the stands, the most evident were that from TC players.

Taylor ran the score up on C-ville in basketball. There's been bad blood there for the last couple of yrs in multiple sports!! So it's not just football!!

  • Author

There we agree. They will be down next year but by no means a bust. They will still be a good team next year. Aside from Friday's game I usually am an eagle fan as well. These kids have grown up together and played ball together since they were little. I like the success that they are having and wish them well the rest of the year. So yes, even though they are rivals with my son's team, at least among the kids, there is only animosity one Friday night every fall. Kind of funny that we adults are the ones that get in a tizzy over it.

Is this the same Dudley that coached at UPIKE a couple years ago when starting fullback at UK right now Will Thomas Collins couldn't even get on the field?

And Dudley still does no wrong

I'm not picking at the poster here but someone mentioned the players being the ones humiliated. No person playing sports should ever feel shame or humiliation, no matter the situation. If so, they were not taught what it means to compete by parents and/or coaches. Disappointment and/or hurt is and always will be part of it but never humiliation. I've been on the receiving end of several pastings in my sports life, never once was proud of it but never ashamed or humiliated neither. I feel blessed to have my parents' guidance and many great coaches along the way. I was also taught how to provide a pounding and perform at a exceptional level without disrespecting the opponent, officials, or fans. It can be done and laying off was never part of those lessons.

  • Author

Interesting perspective. How would you define the difference between disappointment and/or hurt and humiliation. I have a feeling we were talking about the same things. My comment was to the multitude of Dudley haters that think that any time they blow out a Dudley led team that he is the one they are disappointing/hurting/humiliating. My point is that is not the case. The players are the ones that end up on the short end of the stick. Also, please enlighten on what it means to be taught to compete by parents and/or coaches. I too have been blessed to have great parents and coaches along the way. Tacking on a touchdown with 16 seconds left when you are already up by two touchdowns was never one of those lessons in class that my coaches instilled in me. There is a difference between rubbing salt in an open wound and laying off.

First, I do not know anything about Coach Dudley nor his haters. My comments are strictly based on this topic in general as it relates to sports.

 

I'll give my best shot at explaining myself.

Disappointment - (self)We lost a game we should've won and I played lousy. (they)The opponent completely dominated us which was unexpected.

Hurt - (self)We lost the championship, I dropped the game winning pass. (they) last year's semi's : Central @ Corbin & Owensboro @ North Oldham.

These are valid feelings as related to one's performance and/or outcome as a competitor.

 

Humiliate - verb (used with object), humiliated, humiliating.

1. to cause (a person) a painful loss of pride, self-respect, or dignity; mortify

Now I'm not saying this feeling is immune from sports but it would be a self inflicted one like cheating, PED use, kicked off team for disciplinary reasons, etc. Nothing an opponent does should cause one to lose their pride, self-respect, or dignity. Unless you have an incident like Andrew Meyer taping Larry Lester's buttocks together - "afterwards, when I was sittin' in Vernon's office, all I could think about was Larry's father. And Larry havin' to go home and…and explain what happened to him. And the humiliation…freaking humiliation he must've felt. It must've been unreal" - The Breakfast Club (1985). Sorry, trying to add some humor but it does give a clear picture.

 

The Taylor Co players or coaches should feel no humiliation. A loss is a loss be it by 1 or 100, that's what we were taught. I think the fans and parents get more upset about that stuff. Our parents instilled self-confidence, self-esteem, and core values teaching us to play with head and heart. Our coaches taught us the fundamentals, toughness, and to compete to the very end up big or down big. Most importantly, to do it with respect for yourself, your team, your coach, your opponents, the officials, and the fans. This is probably where everyone begins to differ. I have always felt continuing to score is not disrespectful if the manor in which you act while doing it remains respectful. Unfortunately it has become pop-culture to talk down in the midst of a drumming and I'm no fan of it. Again, I was taught (mentally & emotionally) by my parents how to deal with those things out of my control. This is probably why so many perceive the up scoring with such a negative spin. Bottom line, focus on negative you'll see negative. I choose to focus on positive. Hope all this has enlightened you.:)

First, I have seen that anyone who is successful in life or coaching; they have enemies. Seems there are more losers here in Kentucky than winners. They then pile on when the winner makes a bad call. Dudley has given many years to the coaching profession, I have coached against him and yes he put up 50+ on us. I do think we had 28 or somewhere around that. His team was better and we fought to keep it close. I have coached against Campbellsville and they were always on the short end of the scoreboard and crying about us running up the score. The irony of this thread is amazing!!!! My point, Dudley has dedicated his life to coaching and I'm sure has helped more than he has ever hurt or taught bad habits. I personally know both of the coaches being discussed in this thread and if I had a kid who needed a coach, Dudley would be my choice 10 to 1. Why? I like coaches who are winners, it is my job as a parent to raise my child and teach them right from wrong. Good behavior from bad. Life will present them many challenges, they will need to be prepared to handle them all and you the parent won't be there to help them at that moment. Thoughts from an Old Coach who gave it up due to this kind of crap!!!!

 

So, you think this thread is ironic? The irony of your post is the most ironic and contradicting part of this. Please, clear it up for me if I am wrong. You say you would pick Hilton 10-1 to coach your kid because you "like winners" and he could teach them right from wrong and productive and good behavior from bad? This thread is not about hear say, it is not about rumors, and we would not be talking about Dudley if he had not been caught doing wrong, being bad and not winning. For the life of me, and correct me if I am wrong, has Dudley ,over this summer and season, not perfectly embodied everything that you testify to hope to avoid in your children's coach? Again, this is not hear say or angry opponents slandering the High and Mighty Dudley Hilton and his viscous ground and pound offense. He was caught being bad, doing wrong and then losing without hope. I can not figure it out, what does this man have to do to lose the, "Kool-aid drinkers"? Do you need him to straight up fight a kid? Perhaps, he could film a scrimmage without permission and then provide no film from his 4 scrimmages for andopponent and then expect them to send him film. Oh wait, he's already done that.

Dudley must be a liberal. No two ways about it, even when wrong he is right. Yeah he is a Donkey, I mean a Democrat.

  • Author

Indeed it did GloryDays and thank you for the clarification. Working with those definitions we were not talking about the same things. This is, after all, a game. Regardless if a team loses by 1 or 100 the sun will rise tomorrow. The one point that I am still unable to reconcile is respect. I agree good sportsmanship involves respect for self, opponent, officials, and the fans. The issue specifically addressed in this thread is running up the score. When a game is clearly over and an opponent adds an unnecessary touchdown, some view that as classless. The game was over and cville was the better team that night. That being said why did you need to throw a pass into the end zone on 4th and goal from the 13 with 16 seconds left when already up by two touchdowns? The game was competitive until about halfway through the 4th quarter. Until that point in the game generally the team that had the ball scored. So according to your definitions, the players did feel disappointment and hurt. Not in the sense that they lost a game they should have won, rather in the sense that they played as good a game as they did. They were given no chance of it even being a competitive game. So they played as hard as they could and for three and a half quarters gave a valiant effort. There is nothing to be ashamed of there.

 

There is a larger issue however. Some have taken my posts as sour grapes. That could not be further from the truth. I have no issue that cville won the game and that they deserved to win. They are a great team having a spectacular season. I used the term humiliation as hyperbole in the earlier post. To make sure we are all on the same page hyperbole is being used as a noun meaning obvious and intentional exaggeration. If one were to take the outcome of a game as you defined humiliation there is a significant issue somewhere. As I said earlier, it is only a game. Some of these boys will go on to play in college. Most will end their football careers at the end of high school. We as parents and coaches should use the game of football to instill values and life lessons in our boys. It sounds like that was the case for you in your post. The problem is that we are drifting away from that idea. We are creating a sense of entitlement, that everyone deserves all their wishes and desires and that they should not value and respect others. One glaring and unfortunate example of this is what happened this past Friday night in Texas. When we have two players intentionally target an official and blindside him we have significant issues.

 

Tying all this back to Dudley. I am not sure how familiar you are with Dudley. In central Ky we didn't really know much about him when was hired as head coach. All we were told was he is a winner. That is true as he currently ranks second in the state in the number of career victories. He has also won multiple state titles. What I am learning from our friends in eastern Ky is that there seems to be a great deal of hatred for the man. Part of it is his success. The other part is the claims that he has done dubious things along the way that allowed that success to happen. I do not know the specifics of his past. All I do know is that, like it or not, he is my son's coach now. My hyperbolic point earlier was that some people take their hatred for Dudley out on the team that he coaches. Part of sportsmanship is respecting your opponent. I don't want others to let their dislike for Dudley cloud that fact. This isn't about Dudley. It is about these 43 young men that practice hard all week and play as hard as they can on Friday night.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.