George Washington (WVA) @ #4 4A Ashland 9-4

T-CATS

Who Wins  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins

• Ashland
    • GW

Ashland needs to try and establish some sort of passing attack also.

So true. I was surprised that after the pick, ashland never threw the ball again (not that they didn't try, I guess). I've seen enough to know that Dowdy, though he doesn't have the strongest arm in the world, can get the job done in the passing game. Practice can only reveal so much in a throwing situation. Therefore, game situations, he should be able to work through it, as someone posted on another thread, and take care of business.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashland needs to try and establish some sort of passing attack also.

No doubt. As much as I love Baker, a more balanced offense will be needed to make a playoff run. I don't think Ashland can beat the fighting Mattneys without a more balanced offense. They have a stout defense and return almost everyone on that side of the ball. Thankfully that game is a long way off, hopefully Ashland will develop some type of passing game by then, just enough to keep their defense honest.

As far as the GW game, I know nothing about them yet this season. I do know they are always good so I don't expect this year to be any different. Personally I think it's a tossup, given the past history of the series. So I'll go with my heart and pick Ashland.

I wish the Tomcats the best, I really am rooting for you guys the rest of the way out.

This one being in the friendly confines of Putnam Stadium will no doubt help but I honestly don't think it will be quite enough. I really hope I am wrong.

In an Instant Classic ....

GW - 30

Ashland - 28

I don't know what to think about this game. It is usually really close and GW always has a really good team. I saw their highlights on WSAZ and they look to have some studs. I think it all hinges on the Ashland D-line. If they play as well against the run as they did against Raceland then Ashland wins, if not I think GW has the edge. Should be a good one, I hope the Tomcats throw atleast 5 or 6 times.

I am going Ashland simply because there is noone like Q Baker that these kids from GW have probably played against this year or last.

West Virginia doesn't have many guy who run legit 4.5's let alone a guy with elite speed like Baker.

Give me Ashland 34-26

Ashland needs to take care of the ball and drive it down the field like they did in the 3rd qtr vs Raceland. If our defense stays on the field like it did in the 2nd qtr, we're in trouble. Defensively, our secondary hasn't been that great last year as well as the first game this year. We really need to take care of business during practice and get our guys in a position to succeed. I think this is something we are going to have to work on for the next couple of years. Raceland continually burnt the DB's in the JV game as well. I think our run defense will take care of business Friday. They flew to the ball all night. Our secondary is what will tell the tale.

If Ashland can hang within a couple td's of GW they will be doing good and will have a great season.

I honestly don't know which way I'm leaning right now. The more I think about it, I'm convinced that Ashland's big, strong OL can muscle GW around and give Q the space he needs to do his thing. If the Tomcat secondary can step up and get a couple of stops, maybe Ashland moves to 2-0.

But, on the flip side, I can picture GW shredding Ashland's secondary to ribbons.

Problem with those highlights is they are highlights. Shows all their good plays doesn't show the incomplete passes the over throws drops fumbles missed assignments etc. if GW watches Ashland's highlights they think Barry Sanders is wearing #5 this Friday.

I honestly don't know which way I'm leaning right now. The more I think about it, I'm convinced that Ashland's big, strong OL can muscle GW around and give Q the space he needs to do his thing. If the Tomcat secondary can step up and get a couple of stops, maybe Ashland moves to 2-0.

But, on the flip side, I can picture GW shredding Ashland's secondary to ribbons.

GW looks to be an early favorite to win the WV's largest class after their big win over Parkersburg. They also looked good in their scrimmage against HHS. I believe they started the season underrated.

Ashland will certainly have their hands full. IMO, if Ashland can hang with them, they can hang with anyone in 4a in Kentucky. GW reminds me a lot of Lex Cath, with a little more speed.