George Washington (WVA) @ #4 4A Ashland 9-4

T-CATS

Who Wins  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins

• Ashland
    • GW

Problem with those highlights is they are highlights. Shows all their good plays doesn't show the incomplete passes the over throws drops fumbles missed assignments etc. if GW watches Ashland's highlights they think Barry Sanders is wearing #5 this Friday.

I agree to an extent. What stands out to me is they handled Parkersburg pretty easily and beat Huntington High in a scrimmage, I know, its just a scrimmage.

But Parkersburg is always a force to be reckoned with in WV, I seriously doubt this year is any different. On top of that, the game was at Parkersburg. Highlights don't tell the whole story, but their play in the scrimmage and their first official game says a lot. This GW team will be as good as any team Ashland faces this year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to an extent. What stands out to me is they handled Parkersburg pretty easily and beat Huntington High in a scrimmage, I know, its just a scrimmage.

But Parkersburg is always a force to be reckoned with in WV, I seriously doubt this year is any different. On top of that, the game was at Parkersburg. Highlights don't tell the whole story, but their play in the scrimmage and their first official game says a lot. This GW team will be as good as any team Ashland faces this year.

Huntington is ranked 4th GW ranked 11 th and Parkersburg must be down because they aren't even in the top 30. No doubt GW is a quality team and Ashland will have to play very well to beat them.

Huntington is ranked 4th GW ranked 11 th and Parkersburg must be down because they aren't even in the top 30. No doubt GW is a quality team and Ashland will have to play very well to beat them.

I get that, but as I've said on here as recently as a few hours ago, rankings don't mean jack right now. It takes several weeks of play before they pan out. Personally from what I've seen on film GW will be at or near the top in WV by seasons end.

From an Ashland fan's standpoint, this has to be a great game that prepares the Tomcats for the later matchup with Johnson Central.

Sorta, two completely different teams though, IMO. JC likes to run, run, and run some more. GW is a pretty balanced offence with a good passing game. IMO this game would prepare Ashland for potential playoff matchup more than it will the JC game.

The good thing for Ashland is they already know what to expect out of JC. Also they will see some power running from Ironton to help them prepare.

Sorta, two completely different teams though, IMO. JC likes to run, run, and run some more. GW is a pretty balanced offence with a good passing game. IMO this game would prepare Ashland for potential playoff matchup more than it will the JC game.

The good thing for Ashland is they already know what to expect out of JC. Also they will see some power running from Ironton to help them prepare.

I agree, but I was not speaking about the similarities in their attack, more about the level of play. I think GW is a solid program that will test Ashland and make Ashland work to win, while having to fight back from a possible deficit. Just a good match up for the Tomcats to prepare with.

Yes, Ironton is probably more similar to Johnson Central and will be a grind-it-out team that plays hard and is another good match up in preparation of the games that matter.

I agree, but I was not speaking about the similarities in their attack, more about the level of play. I think GW is a solid program that will test Ashland and make Ashland work to win, while having to fight back from a possible deficit. Just a good match up for the Tomcats to prepare with.

Yes, Ironton is probably more similar to Johnson Central and will be a grind-it-out team that plays hard and is another good match up in preparation of the games that matter.

They are both solid programs and should help prepare Ashland for the long haul. It seems most people around the state doubt Ashland can make it. There are some question marks but I really think they can do big things this year.

Their out of district schedule with Raceland, GW, Russell, Ironton, and Tates Creek will certainly help them prepare for anything they will see in the postseason. They just need to work out some kinks and improve from week to week. If they can do that, the sky's the limit.

If Ashland can get some pressure on the QB with either the D line or well timed blitzes they will have a chance. Pressure will help cover some secondary mistakes. I expect the secondary to perform better but will need to knock the QB down a few times. The thing that concerns me the most is the length of the GW targets making a less than average throw become a catch.