Ashland 41 Raceland 21

oldrambler

Ashland with an impressive win. I'd like to see the final stats on this game. I thought Raceland played well, and the Davidson kid is a good looking QB. He throws a great deep ball. He did overthrow one for a pick tonight, and threw behind a receiver that was open downfield, but he's going to make a lot of noise with his arm this year I believe.

Keys for Ashland the rest of the year.

1. Give Baker the ball.

2. Decide on a QB

3. Give Baker the ball.

4. Just shut up and play football

5. Give Baker the ball.

You forgot one.

6. Give Baker the ball.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baker is a STUD no doubt' date=' but this team has a lot more then him.[/quote'] Sure they do, but if you want to win you ride your stud. He had maybe 6 carries in the 1st half, and they only put up 14 points and the defense was on the field way too much. The 2nd half they came out riding their stud and we saw what happened.

No. Dowdy started and got most of the reps, but Ratliff saw some time in 2nd and 4th quarters

For what it's worth, Dowdy surprised me with his speed and I think he should be the #1 qb this year. But Ratliff is a beast in the making, he should have a great career as a Tomcat.

Did either one do enough to warrant being the starter going forward, or will Love stick to tonight's game plan against GW?

There wasn't much of a passing game from Ashland tonight so its hard to say. Personally I would go with Dowdy. He threw an early int tonight but seems to throw a decent ball and is a much better runner than I expected. It was his first game as a starter so I'd give him a chance to iron things out myself.

Did either one do enough to warrant being the starter going forward' date=' or will Love stick to tonight's game plan against GW?[/quote']

Dowdy had a real nice run, and I thought did a good job of running the offense. He make a horrible pass that gave Raceland the ball deep in Ashland territory.

Ratliff had a couple nice runs that were called back. There was a fumbled snap right after Ashland had held Raceland out of the endzone after the Dowdy interception. That led directly to Raceland's 1st score.

I believe Ashland will need to develop some sort of passing game as the season progresses. I didn't get to see enough from either QB in that department to make a determination of who should start.

Baker we know is a STUD. Brown played great. O'Byran was a stud. Ashland has a lot of very good players. What worries me is the team I have heard wants Ratliff to be starter. Dowdy looks good handing off and running just too small. Passing isn't a strong suit.

Ashland D was impressive as was Baker. I thought Dowdy played well, had 2 nice runs, one a 40 yard TD. I was unimpressed with Ratliff, he did have a couple decent runs but nothing groundbreaking. Once Kurtlen Brown gets going as QB play becomes more steady I think Ashland and JC will be one to remember. The Ashland D-Line was mighty impressive.

Beast in the making? Based on what? A fumbled snap, 2 sacks, and a couple carries late in the 4th?

He looked more comfortable in the 4th. It was his first varsity game and has 3 more years of eligibility. I see some potential in him, just my opinion.

Baker and Ashland's speed defensively won this game. Baker made alot of runs, that if were not Baker running the ball, would have been tackles for a loss or no gain. Wasnt impressed with either QB, neither seemed to do much that warranted either one over the other. Baker is their money cow. If they can establish a change of pace back and use Baker in more versatile ways, they may very well take the district/region this year. Baker lit us up last year as well, then Johnson Central managed to shut him down. Gotta come up with some versatility.

Nathaniel looked okay tonight, still too much air under his passes, but he is young to the position. Our WRs ran some nice routes and made some nice catches. Would like to see Jamison utilized more, especially in the redzone, nice hands, good size, strong as an ox. Imo, when Bailey Walker runs the ball as he did tonight, he is the best back we have. Now, he fumbles and makes silly mistakes sometimes. He ran the ball really hard and we saw a few times that Kane Snyder can still run the ball like he did last season. Ashland's LBs are really really good. This game was not won on the LOS, imo, it was Ashland's LBs that caused us the most trouble.

All in all, I like that we never quit tonight, we played better on special teams, didnt make many immature or dumb mistakes, this game could have been alot worse than it was. Imo, we know where we stand.

Alot of work to do still. Looking foward to seeing how we grow from this game into the Valley game.