Owensboro 29 Warren Central 7

DragonFire

A bit cliche but the game played much closer. It was 16-7 entering the fourth, but Owensboro just never let Dragon offense move. The Red Devils started almost every possession in Dragon territory, and eventually the offense just couldn't stand up any longer.

Conditioning, depth, and size are going to hurt Central. They have to find a way to give Shanklin time and the receivers will need to make catches, which they did not do tonight. Shanklin himself had an erratic passing game. If the offense can come together, the Dragons can make some noise. But they've got some distance to go.

I thought Oboro defense was outstanding. Greer was a beast going full time defensive line. Several great plays by the defense. James and Board looked great running the ball behind the mammoth O-line. Every yard was tough though, and I didn't expect anything less from the Dragons. Shanklin is a great athlete and I think they will be a tough match for anyone. First game under a new coach and they'll only get better.

OHS defense was great tonight, better than last year. The offense struggled, to much east, west the deep ball was there all night long.If they keep improving week to week they could be playing for a state championship in December.Not sure OHS will see a faster than Warren Central the rest of the way.The star of the game was Vassad Greer dt OHS. WKU should get in on this kid ,he was in the backfield all night.

Greer is a man beast. I didnt get to see this game but i have said all offseason that i thought Owensboro's defense was going to be among the best in the state. I was worried about replacing Arius Phillips on the backside, but that front 7 is just nasty. I believe the Devils have enough talent at running back and receiver to carry them until their QB settles in.

Congrats to OHS coach Jay Fallin for getting his 1st win! Warren Central played very hard and the Dragons have some very nice athletes. I think the Dragons looked very well coached and I think the WC program is headed in the right direction.

OHS' defense was just nasty tonight. Vasaad Greer going to full time defense is great because he's most effective on the d-line. I'm a little concerned about the safeties, but so far so good.

Offensively, OHS is a work in progress. The good news is, it appears Zach Gross is a heady qb. I like his calm demeanor and he doesn't throw a bad ball. OHS has weapons abound but I agree with ddevil that OHS will need to take some shots downfield when defenses stack the box. In fairness, Gross had two potential touchdowns dropped on deep balls. Also OHS needs to work on ball security and extra points. Gotta have those.

All in all, it was a great first win for Jay Fallin. The entire OHS staff has worked hard and they will push this team to maximize their potential. Also can't fail to mention OHS rb Landon Board. Kid had 100 yards on 14 carries and was a pleasant surprise.

I saw on Twitter that OHS held Warren Central to 23 yards total yards. Is that true? Wow.

No way that is true. Daily News had them at 102 yards total. They had them with 24 yards in the second half, so it is possible that is what is being referred to.

It didn't help that Central had no less than 4 bad snaps that they fell on for losses.

Stats:

Warren Central - who knows?

OHS 298 yds

James 25 rushes for 105 and 3 TD's

Board 17 rushes for 131 and 1 TD

Gross 12-18 passing 84 yds (1drop that was probably a TD).

Board has got some wheels. I was encouraged by Gross and how calm he was, great job. The D-line of Tinsle, Greer and Crowe were dominant. The LB's were great ...Mundy, Gardner and The big middle LB Board. Walker made a couple of great plays on the corner. This should be one of the best defensive teams in the state.

Edited by Brown

I'm quoting the Owensboro paper for the stats, but their QB was sacked time and again in the 2nd half. Rushing wise I would think its negative. I saw the QB get loose for 15 yds once, besides that I don't think I saw very many yards at all. I missed most of the 1st quarter though. Passing I think you would have 70-80

I was all over it. BG paper had 102 yds for WC with 75 passing and 27 rushing (-23 in 2nd half)

I love this quote by their coach on Greer

"We got a little rattled with their big boy nose guard, but when you've got a 300 pound guy looking at you all night long, it gets to you"