Russell @ Mason County (Scrimmage)

mcpapa

Controlled scrimmage. No kicks, each squad got 10 or 15 plays from their own 20. Neither team scored during each of the "quarters", although Russell looked to have the upper hand throughout. I stayed through the third "quarter" (each team from the opposing 40), Mason's varsity scored once, Russell's did not. JV - Mason and Russell each scored once.

Russell probably with a 60/40 passing/running mix.

Little Ram will be able to give a more complete report later on.

Russell 19

Mason 0

This is only for the varsity time that was played. Freshman was 6-6 on both sides. Russell came out very slow and sluggish but ended up executing really well on some plays. Mason drove the ball on the last possession for about 10 minutes just running it down Russell's throat.

I will have more on the scrimmage later on after I can watch the film.

Russell 19

Mason 0

This is only for the varsity time that was played. Freshman was 6-6 on both sides. Russell came out very slow and sluggish but ended up executing really well on some plays. Mason drove the ball on the last possession for about 10 minutes just running it down Russell's throat.

I will have more on the scrimmage later on after I can watch the film.

Thanks LR

I thought Russell's passing game looked great. Good pass blocking and nice routes by our receivers. A few hiccups on offense and defense but to be expected in their first scrimmage against someone other than themselves. Should be a good season.

I thought Russell's passing game looked great. Good pass blocking and nice routes by our receivers. A few hiccups on offense and defense but to be expected in their first scrimmage against someone other than themselves. Should be a good season.

Agreed. Russell was able to run almost anything offensively and pick up yardage. Russell rotated a significant amount of players in both sides of the ball. On defense, they rotated 22 players every three plays. There isn't much of a drop off between the second line backing and secondary groups but a huge difference in the defensive line.

On the offensive side, McKee and Conley played well as usual. Max and Evan Ison played very well as well at the RB position. This was the first time Russell's OL was able to play together at a unit so there was some timing issues but still played rather well.

Agreed. Russell was able to run almost anything offensively and pick up yardage. Russell rotated a significant amount of players in both sides of the ball. On defense, they rotated 22 players every three plays. There isn't much of a drop off between the second line backing and secondary groups but a huge difference in the defensive line.

On the offensive side, McKee and Conley played well as usual. Max and Evan Ison played very well as well at the RB position. This was the first time Russell's OL was able to play together at a unit so there was some timing issues but still played rather well.

A few questions:

1. Does McKee look more comfortable in the passing game?

2. Is there a clear No.2 RB behind Conley, or is it still up for grabs?

3. Did any sophomores stand out for Russell?

4. How did Tyrion Fox look for Mason Co.?

Edited by DevilMayCare

A few questions: 1. Does McKee look more comfortable in the passing game? 2. Is there a clear No.2 RB behind Conley' date=' or is it still up for grabs? 3. Did any sophomores stand out for Russell? 4. How did Tyrion Fox look for Mason Co.?[/quote']

McKee is much more comfortable throwing.

Clear? I'm going to say no. Evan and Max can both rotate and still contribute largely.

I don't know many sophomores so I can't give a valued answer to that.

Is Fox the running back? Because whoever that running back is for Mason is a good back.

Clear? I'm going to say no. Evan and Max can both rotate and still contribute largely.

Is Fox the running back? Because whoever that running back is for Mason is a good back.

Thanks for the info. I'd be surprised if Spencer Cole didn't challenge for the No.2 RB spot, assuming he hasn't changed positions.

Fox was a starter at LB last year as a sophomore. Also plays RB. Really good looking player with a lot of upside. Wore #14 last season.

Tyrion Fox is the RB, wore #3 . Played only the first series, as I recall.

Thanks for the info. I'd be surprised if Spencer Cole didn't challenge for the No.2 RB spot' date=' assuming he hasn't changed positions. Fox was a starter at LB last year as a sophomore. Also plays RB. Really good looking player with a lot of upside. Wore #14 last season.

Cole was in on the second team. He also played well with his limited playing time.

Fox played a little more in "second quarter" after dealing with some cramps. He will definitely get the most touches for Mason.