NKY Soccer Preview

I got to see 7 no.ky teams play at BG & all of them play last year.

My pick for top ten:

CovCath

BBHS

Scott

St Henry

Cooper

Ryle

Campbell Cty

Highlands

NCC

Boone Cty

Edited by MentschTrachtGottLacht
Capitalization of teams

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was boone's attack in bluegrass? We're they able to build up play and find the net much? As said before replacing their key players from graduation will be a tough task.

Astute question, Never offsides. They lost 2-0 to Dunbar and 3-0 to Daviess County so this early in the pre-season the only conclusion that can be drawn is that they have difficulty scoring. In many ways, this is a brand new team with a new coach and they are still VERY much learning how to play together due to graduating top players over the last couple of years. Though Boone has some very skilled players across the field, in all honesty, there are holes at every level--defense, mid, and front. I do believe they have some players who will step up and fill those holes but this will require playing together and learning to trust one another. This is a work in progress. I trust that the team you see on the field now will be much improved by the end of the season.

Right now it seems that the best attack comes from the back on a run through. There is a pretty good combo on one side of the field that has potential to put pressure on the goal, but it requires better communication. In the Daviess County match the fullback broke on the ball and fighting off the defense was able to dribble all the way to near the box where he was kicked in the ankles from behind and went down. He popped right up but in the excitement of it blooped the ball over the net. I am looking forward to Thursday's match against Grant County to see if Boone can generate pressure from more places in their offense. They also need to improve consistency on defense.

Now that dblyellow has gone into hiding I feel safe posting again.

I was fortunate to be at bluegrass and catch as many nky teams as possible. My rankings would go like this.

Covington Catholic, the mix of returning starters and the talent of the up and comers is down right scary. This team could be the first nky to bring home that illusive trophy.

Bishop Brossart, I saw this team at bluegrass. Not super technical but very big and physical, with the new coaching staff I think they will become more technically sound and if they put all that size and skill together they could be dangerous

St. Henry

They were just the opposite of bb, Steve Hahn has these guys moving off the ball and finding slotted balls through opponents back line already. If they can solidify their back line they will be a tough team to beat.

Cooper,

IF (big if) Cooper can find a way to stay organized they will be ok. I know they lost a few key players last year but they could be dangerous again. While watching them at BG they seemed a bit of a kick ball team at times, when they started to pass the ball and stay composed they looked totally different. Seems like a lack of leadership on the field, young program like this will struggle unless a true leader steps up.

Ncc

Being a former ncc guy I know this team very well. They too lost a few key players...

I think the younger talent they have and some of the returning starters should make for a good squad. They may not be clicking just yet but I'm sure that they will find away to do so come tournament time. The one thing they lack is a true goal scorer. If you were to compare this team to any from the past 4 I'd say they will be like the 2012 team that had lumps through out the year (5-9-5) then found themselves in the regional finals

Scott, song know much about these guys except they return a few really good players. Look for them to re-identify themselves without Treadway.

Highlands

Should be an above average team that can find the back of the net offensively but struggle a little in the back. Look for the to make the regional again..

Ryle, ryle should be the opposite of highlands. They return a couple of defensive studs. They looked to play a kick ball style as well. I'm not sure they will get a ton of possession in the middle of the pitch like they have in the past.

Dbl yellow, since you're the ncc expert I have a question..

With ncc graduating most of their scoring from last year, who will be their main threat this year? You have made it clear that you believe ncc will be a top 3 team in the region this year, but without a major threat or true goal scorer it will be difficult for them to be as successful as you believe they will be this season.

Dbl yellow, since you're the ncc expert I have a question..

With ncc graduating most of their scoring from last year, who will be their main threat this year? You have made it clear that you believe ncc will be a top 3 team in the region this year, but without a major threat or true goal scorer it will be difficult for them to be as successful as you believe they will be this season.

NCC has Liles up top. Finds himself in the right spot at the right time a lot. Not very fast, not very big, not very technical.

I believe NCC should play Muck up top. They don't have the talent to control the ball and game, so their best chance will be to Have their best player up top to possibly beat a few players and score.

No other scoring threats I know of. A good chance for some players to step up and make a name for themselves and their school.

Thanks hoops5 and Yellow Card for posting a well thought out, insightful preseason preview. I don't have anything to add other then I would have liked to see it broken into 9th Region and 10th Region, maybe with your Regional Champ in each.

I'll go there, 9th-CCH, 10th-Montgomery Co.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.

I think Montgomery is all flash and no finish. Scott will win the region and return to state....

Let the games begin....

1. Cov Cath

2. Brossart

3. St. Henry

4. Ryle

5. NCC

6. Scott

7. Cooper

8. Highlands

9. Conner

10. Campbell County

Dark Horse - Holy Cross

They are returning several starters from last year and should have a solid defense. Enzweiler and Krumpelman are both solid players to keep an eye on. While they will most likely not win their district, with a little luck they may make a regional run this year.

Ryle - May have a chip on their shoulder from last year. I would assume that they will want to prove something this year.

Cooper ranked a little lower than most people. I agree with flops&hacks in that there seems to be a lack of leadership on the pitch. They lost a leader in Williams and it will be difficult to fill his shoes. I also noticed that they were have an issue finding the net. I went back to last year and they scored 14 goals in their last 8 games (8 of these goals were against St. Francis and Calvary). They only found the back of the net once in post season play, which was a mishandle by the keeper in the mud pit called Boone County field. I think its going to be tough to come close to what they did last year.

NCC - Not ranked as high as DBLYELLOW wants them to be, but they will be a solid team. I think they may find it hard to put the ball in the back of the net. It's going to be hard to replace Louis, Freppon, and Hensley but I think they have a solid season.

Oh by the way, DBLYELLOW congrats on your regional bid before the season starts. Maybe you can rest all that talent you keep talking about so you can be prepared for that regional run.

Ncc looked very good and very in shape at bg games. That's what they've been working on in the off season, so they did what was asked of them .

Oregano thanks and maybe we can rest after soccerama. I doubt that will happen, no rest for the best

I don't know enough about all the teams to do a top 10 so here are what I think the top 5 teams in NKY will be at seasons end.

1-CCH-with senior leadership and talent should be the team to beat in NKY.

2-St. Henry- A well run team with returning talent always a though out once post season starts

3-Scott-With Seay returning as one of the best GK in NKY and all four starting MF coming back by the end of the year they will be one of the top teams in NKY. They have a lot of talent to replace up front and I believe a new style of play would benefit them in the long run.

4-Ryle- Retuning one of the best defenders in NKY along with a good offensive player look for them to stop teams and play kick ball looking for their striker. If the defense can hold up look for them to be there in the post season.

5-NCC- I don't know a lot about this team except they have a new coach, lost some offensive players from last year. but based on bluegrass game reports I have read, If the new coach can get the returning players to buy in to his system a region run is not out of the question.

I don't know enough about the other NKY teams to do a top 10 so here are my top 5

So a lot of people expect Ryle to do well because of the Roe twins, El-Gusain, and starting GK. They had them all last year but with Aguirre, Siemer, Kayed, Malatesta, and Hugenburg. What new talent do I not know of? I thought last year would be their year to do well and that they flopped. And their star freshman Kaise has moved to Japan I heard. How are they going to score?!?

So a lot of people expect Ryle to do well because of the Roe twins, El-Gusain, and starting GK. They had them all last year but with Aguirre, Siemer, Kayed, Malatesta, and Hugenburg. What new talent do I not know of? I thought last year would be their year to do well and that they flopped. And their star freshman Kaise has moved to Japan I heard. How are they going to score?!?

Valid points but I'd say that what Ryle has coming back in those players is only exceeded by a couple teams, which is why I put them third. Also, traditionally Ryle has drawn strong players and can usually reload pretty well. Lastly, N. Kentucky boys soccer is not looking that strong in general this year in my view.

Based on those things I'd still look for them to be a top 5 team in N. Ky.