George Takai makes racial insults about SCJ Clarence Thomas, then apologizes.

All Tell

LINK

Takei is a "hero" of the left.

There were no obvious signs of outrage over the comments he made (he called Thomas a clown in blackface) in the media. He then issues an apology through his Facebook page. Would it be this quiet if someone like Chuck Norris had made either ethnic related comments about Sotomayor, age related comments about Ginsburg or weight related comments about Kagan? Would his apology be accepted as readily as Takei's apparently are?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LINK

There were no obvious signs of outrage over the comments he made (he called Thomas a clown in blackface) in the media. He then issues an apology through his Facebook page. Would it be this quiet if someone like Chuck Norris had made either ethnic related comments about Sotomayor, age related comments about Ginsburg or weight related comments about Kagan? Would his apology be accepted as readily as Takei's apparently are?

I think calling him a "hero to the left" is a bit of a stretch. Yes he has some loyal followers, but I don't think he's a driving force behind any large following of public opinion. I don't think there's any outrage for a few reasons. First and foremost I don't think many even knows that he said anything. He's not exactly in the public spotlight. Second, what he said was in regards to a dissenting opinion of one of the Justices that voted against gay marriage. I'd say most of the people that saw it agreed with the basis of his statement, even if he used a poor choice of words. To answer your question, I don't know that Chuck Norris would get treated any worse, as I d say he's just as irrelevant publically as Takei, and he followers would probably treat him the same as they would be as politically like minded as Chuck.

I think calling him a "hero to the left" is a bit of a stretch. Yes he has some loyal followers, but I don't think he's a driving force behind any large following of public opinion. I don't think there's any outrage for a few reasons. First and foremost I don't think many even knows that he said anything. He's not exactly in the public spotlight. Second, what he said was in regards to a dissenting opinion of one of the Justices that voted against gay marriage. I'd say most of the people that saw it agreed with the basis of his statement, even if he used a poor choice of words. To answer your question, I don't know that Chuck Norris would get treated any worse, as I d say he's just as irrelevant publically as Takei, and he followers would probably treat him the same as they would be as politically like minded as Chuck.

I agree given the examples of remarks made towards the other Justices, there may not have been much outrage. But if Chuck Norris or any one deemed to be a staunch Conservative or Republican made a "Clown in Blackface" comment about anyone let alone a Supreme Court Justice it would blow up.

As far as being a hero on the left and not having much reach or notoriety...he (Takai) has more twitter followers than noted "Right Wing Heroes" Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh combined.

He for many has been the face of the LGBT community for years.

As far as being a hero on the left and not having much reach or notoriety...he (Takai) has more twitter followers than noted "Right Wing Heroes" Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh combined.

He for many has been the face of the LGBT community for years.

He probably has more followers because he is more engaging on Twitter and frequently has a variety of topics. I never liked Star Trek and I still follow him because he has some funny stuff. I don't follow Rush or Sean because they just clog their own feeds with right wing stuff all the time.

I mean, I have some super conservative friends who will RT Takai because it was funny. He's not exactly a hero to the left, he's just a very left celebrity that has some universally marketable traits.

And as far as no signs of outrage, there was plenty. Although I find it odd that there was more outrage about him blackface comment than Thomas' comments regarding slavery.

He probably has more followers because he is more engaging on Twitter and frequently has a variety of topics. I never liked Star Trek and I still follow him because he has some funny stuff. I don't follow Rush or Sean because they just clog their own feeds with right wing stuff all the time.

I mean, I have some super conservative friends who will RT Takai because it was funny. He's not exactly a hero to the left, he's just a very left celebrity that has some universally marketable traits.

And as far as no signs of outrage, there was plenty. Although I find it odd that there was more outrage about him blackface comment than Thomas' comments regarding slavery.

You and me both.

H

What if Chuck Norris called the President a clown in blackface? The internet would break!

I agree given the examples of remarks made towards the other Justices, there may not have been much outrage. But if Chuck Norris or any one deemed to be a staunch Conservative or Republican made a "Clown in Blackface" comment about anyone let alone a Supreme Court Justice it would blow up.

I think if ANYONE called the President that publically, the internet would blow up. Takei made this remark on HIS Facebook page, which is most likely followed by folks who are politically the same as Takei. So yes, Takei, a gay man, likely gets a little more leeway from other gay and lesbian folks when speaking about a Supreme Court justice that voted against gay marriage.

H

I think if ANYONE called the President that publically, the internet would blow up. Takei made this remark on HIS Facebook page, which is most likely followed by folks who are politically the same as Takei. So yes, Takei, a gay man, likely gets a little more leeway from other gay and lesbian folks when speaking about a Supreme Court justice that voted against gay marriage.

He has over 8.7 million FB followers (of which I am one) so I'd guess that everyone that follows him doesn't do it for his politics...I do it for his humor which is often really witty.

1. The average person in America has no clue who George Takei is. If not for Howard Stern I would have no clue who George Takei is. I guarantee the average American knows who Chuck Norris is so yeah, if Chuck Norris made a blackface comment about a black person then it would be a bigger deal.

2. As has been mentioned it is amazing no one has spoken on what Clarence Thomas said and instead about what George Takei said.

3. He actually has the same amount of followers are Limbaugh and Hannity combined.(1.6M). Hannity's tweets look like they are made by an intern strictly to promote his show and Limbaugh very rarely tweets at all. George Takei tweets all of the time and his tweets look like they belong to him and not some intern. All of this makes a difference. Especially on Twitter. Are you guys on Twitter?

4. His comments were hilarious. It's refreshing when people are honest these days. :thumb: #TrumpTalk

1. The average person in America has no clue who George Takei is. If not for Howard Stern I would have no clue who George Takei is. I guarantee the average American knows who Chuck Norris is so yeah, if Chuck Norris made a blackface comment about a black person then it would be a bigger deal.

2. As has been mentioned it is amazing no one has spoken on what Clarence Thomas said and instead about what George Takei said.

3. He actually has the same amount of followers are Limbaugh and Hannity combined.(1.6M). Hannity's tweets look like they are made by an intern strictly to promote his show and Limbaugh very rarely tweets at all. George Takei tweets all of the time and his tweets look like they belong to him and not some intern. All of this makes a difference. Especially on Twitter. Are you guys on Twitter?

4. His comments were hilarious. It's refreshing when people are honest these days. :thumb: #TrumpTalk

I saw that.

LINK

I think you already know the answer to this.