Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Volleyball coach at Simon Kenton

Featured Replies

I think you're missing the mark a little. The parochial schools aren't placing the emphasis on sports, it's the parental involvement at the parochial schools that is the difference. I think the parental expectations are different between the parochial and public grades schools. At the parochial grade schools, the parents run the boosters organizations, raise the funds and coach the teams, not the school. All parochial grade school coaches are volunteer and unpaid, while that is not the case with the public schools.

 

So I disagree with the statement that the parochial schools place a higher emphasis on sports. I simply think the volunteerism and involvement from the parents is greater at a younger age.

 

And as a public school parent, I disagree. The administration at these schools don't want a booster organization and athletics run like a private school. They don't care. they care about academics.

  • Replies 119
  • Views 24.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're missing the mark a little. The parochial schools aren't placing the emphasis on sports, it's the parental involvement at the parochial schools that is the difference. I think the parental expectations are different between the parochial and public grades schools. At the parochial grade schools, the parents run the boosters organizations, raise the funds and coach the teams, not the school. All parochial grade school coaches are volunteer and unpaid, while that is not the case with the public schools.

 

So I disagree with the statement that the parochial schools place a higher emphasis on sports. I simply think the volunteerism and involvement from the parents is greater at a younger age.

 

Not sure I buy that at all. Most if not all public grade schools do not have organized sports of any kind. I know that in Fort Thomas there are no Johnson, Moyer or Woodfill volleyball, football, basketball, baseball, soccer or any other teams that are "school" affiliated. Never really understood why that was, but it is what it is. I will also say that the parochial schools put an emphasis on winning first and foremost.

ANYONE can join sprinkles. It's not a private school thing. It's a club who accepts anyone.

 

I think where you and I differ is you believe public schools aren't doing enough. I believe the path to success is more club ball. I say that's on public school parents, not the schools. I don't expect a school, ANY school, to talk about or encourage club volleyball...Why would they? That's not why they are there.

 

To me, getting a head start in club ball is on the parents.

 

You are assuming that private school and public school kids know all the same information. They don't. and just how do kids develop an interest in a game like volleyball at the 1st 2nd or 3rd grade level? They play in school. or at least they do in private school.

 

You are correct in saying that kids learn volleyball at the club level, but if public school kids start playing in the 6th grade how on gods green earth are they going to learn enough in 3 short months to beat out a kid at tryouts who's been playing 3 years longer minimum. Not to mention that that kids has probably also played club for 2 years as well.

And as a public school parent, I disagree. The administration at these schools don't want a booster organization and athletics run like a private school. They don't care. they care about academics.

 

Can't an emphasis be placed on both? So, for whatever the reason, the school administration places a concerted lack of emphasis on athletics at the grade school level? Whether it be a cost savings measure or to have administration control over all aspects of the school, etc. I guess by comparison then, the parochial schools do place a higher emphasis on sports. Is that an indictment of the parochial schools or public schools?

Edited by EQUUS GREVYI

Not sure I buy that at all. Most if not all public grade schools do not have organized sports of any kind. I know that in Fort Thomas there are no Johnson, Moyer or Woodfill volleyball, football, basketball, baseball, soccer or any other teams that are "school" affiliated. Never really understood why that was, but it is what it is. I will also say that the parochial schools put an emphasis on winning first and foremost.

 

I don't understand that either. Why aren't there parents volunteering to run these programs and coach teams? The benefits of scholastic athletic teams are numerous and don't revolve around winning. Why would public schools dissuade volunteer organizations developing school athletic programs? If this is prohibited by the school district, it points to a problem there.

 

I disagree with your statement concerning parochial schools placing an emphasis on winning first and foremost. That may be the case at an isolated parochial grade school or two, but from what I've seen, a large majority are about getting participation from as many students as possible.

You are assuming that private school and public school kids know all the same information. They don't. and just how do kids develop an interest in a game like volleyball at the 1st 2nd or 3rd grade level? They play in school. or at least they do in private school.

 

You are correct in saying that kids learn volleyball at the club level, but if public school kids start playing in the 6th grade how on gods green earth are they going to learn enough in 3 short months to beat out a kid at tryouts who's been playing 3 years longer minimum. Not to mention that that kids has probably also played club for 2 years as well.

 

I agree with your statements regarding the disadvantages of not having organized athletics in the public grade schools. By the time they start in junior high, it may be too late to catch up skill-wise to those who have played for 3-4 years already. However, it almost sounds like you're asking the parochial schools to "back off" on the athletic programs.

Can't an emphasis be placed on both? So, for whatever the reason, the school administration places a concerted lack of emphasis on athletics at the grade school level? Whether it be a cost savings measure or to have administration control over all aspects of the school, etc. I guess by comparison then, the parochial schools do place a higher emphasis on sports. Is that an indictment of the parochial schools or public schools?

 

Parochial school parents place a higher emphasis on sports, due to their involvement at the coaching level. If I were to guess, well over 95% of all coaches at the parochial school level are parents. This is not to say that academics are not important.

 

We start sports early in the catholic grade schools, at least most do. I started coaching softball & basketball at the kindergarten level.

I would never chastise, belittle or seek to change the advantages that private schools provide for their children. I think public schools need to step up their end of this scenario. It's obvious that some places in the state get it, ie Louisville, but NKY as a whole do not.

I love the private/public school debates. Nice to see it isn't just football folks with a concern.

 

Carry on.

I would never chastise, belittle or seek to change the advantages that private schools provide for their children. I think public schools need to step up their end of this scenario. It's obvious that some places in the state get it, ie Louisville, but NKY as a whole do not.

 

I think a prime example would be the Fort Thomas Junior Football League. Although it is not school affiliated, a group of parents/boosters run the league with school blessing and support and look at the fruit it has yielded? I know football is a different animal than volleyball, but it does show what a group of motivated parents can accomplish.

Parochial school parents place a higher emphasis on sports, due to their involvement at the coaching level. If I were to guess, well over 95% of all coaches at the parochial school level are parents. This is not to say that academics are not important.

 

We start sports early in the catholic grade schools, at least most do. I started coaching softball & basketball at the kindergarten level.

 

Exactly, if anything academic excellence is reinforced through sports.

I think a prime example would be the Fort Thomas Junior Football League. Although it is not school affiliated, a group of parents/boosters run the league with school blessing and support and look at the fruit it has yielded? I know football is a different animal than volleyball, but it does show what a group of motivated parents can accomplish.

 

It is a nice example, but doesn't fully translate to the way club volleyball works. In elementary school football, playing for the FTJFL is the pathway to playing for Highlands High school. It is centric to the school district and supported by the school system. It is the unofficial, official, team of the school district. You play all your games on HHS home field. There is no better or alternative brand of football than what is played by HS on Friday nights.

 

In volleyball at the public school level, there is no one Club Volleyball Team that is unofficially or officially affiliated with any one school. They also almost never play or practice at a kids elementary, middle, or high school. Nearly every club tournament that volleyball girls compete in is out of town, with the GJNC being in either Orlando, or wherever USAV is hosting theirs at in a given year. (This year it was in New Orleans).

 

Club Volleyball is where you obtain your scholarships and perfect your sport. It is where the highest level of competition is played, not at your high school. By waiting till 6th grade to start for most public school kids you are placing those kids at a severe disadvantage that most will never conquer.

Again, I think this all points back at the parents. They're either not involved at their public school to get the girls playing earlier in school like their private counterparts, or they're not looking at playing club ball early enough.

 

And to be accurate, there's been a lot of grades thrown about in this discussion..the earliest I've seen any school team is 3rd grade - not aware of any schools with K, 1st, or 2nd grade teams.

I think a prime example would be the Fort Thomas Junior Football League. Although it is not school affiliated, a group of parents/boosters run the league with school blessing and support and look at the fruit it has yielded? I know football is a different animal than volleyball, but it does show what a group of motivated parents can accomplish.

 

The school does not bless anything at all related to the Fort Thomas Junior Football League, zero. The school/s have absolutely zero say in anything that this organization does.

There's one issue with club volleyball that hasn't been mentioned that affects the number of girls playing, especially at the public schools. Cost. Many parents simply can't afford the expense of club volleyball. It's extremely expensive at the highest levels, and is even costly at the lower levels. I'm not saying all private school kids are rich, and public school kids aren't. But club volleyball is simply cost prohibitive for many families, especially public school kids, of which a higher portion receive some sort of free or reduced lunch. Even with an elementary school program, there would be many kids that simply wouldn't play club because of the expense.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.