Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Volleyball coach at Simon Kenton

Featured Replies

Regardless of coach, is there that much pressure to win in volleyball at SK? What's the "bar" set at? I previously posted that I thought SK was set up 2 years ago to make a nice run and that didn't happen. What are the expectations this year?

I think Scott's probably favored to win the Region 10, and rightfully so, so I don't see SK's expectations that high. I also don't think there is much pressure placed on any of the public schools in Kenton County concerning girls athletics.

  • Replies 119
  • Views 24.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SK is in the 8th Region

SK is in the 8th Region

 

You are correct. Sorry. So 3 Kenton Co public schools... each in a different Region and less than 10 miles away from each other.... wonder why? and I still stand behind my statement about zero expectations at SK this year...

So 3 Kenton Co public schools... each in a different Region and less than 10 miles away from each other.... wonder why?

 

Wow.

You really have to wonder how in the world they came up with the districts and regions. Some (many?) of them make absolutely no sense.

Wow.

You really have to wonder how in the world they came up with the districts and regions. Some (many?) of them make absolutely no sense.

If I remember correctly I believe both Scott and SK asked to be moved into those regions.

Wow.

You really have to wonder how in the world they came up with the districts and regions. Some (many?) of them make absolutely no sense.

 

If I remember correctly I believe both Scott and SK asked to be moved into those regions.

 

 

I don't know that Scott and SK specifically asked, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Kenton County Board of Education requested that all three be in different regions (I don't know this for sure, just spitballing). In an open enrollment district that request kind of makes sense as it gives all teams a shot at making a state tournament every year, and not beating each other and knocking each other off during the district/regional tourneys. Being in different regions has really helped Scott and SK....Scott with Final 4 trips in Baseball and Volleyball last year, and SK with a finals trip in Baseball two years ago. All three schools have sent teams to state tourneys and state finals in the last calendar year, which might not have been possible had all three resided in the same region. And since there are 3 regions in the Northern KY area, the Kenton County schools are not the only schools in NKY that are in close proximity to each other and playing in different regions.

Glad to see a fresh start at SK. Not impressed with the former staff, based on very little history and even less interaction.

 

The grapevine tells me they weren't highly thought of.

Glad to see a fresh start at SK. Not impressed with the former staff, based on very little history and even less interaction.

 

The grapevine tells me they weren't highly thought of.

uhhhhh.... I guess you didn't see the part that said she was a former JV/Varsity assistant to the previous head coach.

The schools got separated when the realinged all the sports, except football, to match basketball. I believe as high schools were built in NKY the districts became over crowded. So the most souhern school, SK, was pushed to the 8th and the most south-western school, Scott, was pushed to the 10th.

New member here .... enjoy reading everyone's thoughts.

 

Just some info....

Gray middle school current 8th grade VB team:

this past club season:

4 girls plays at NKYVC National teams

1 girl played at Tri State Elite National team

3 girls played Caliente open team

2 girls played NKJV

3 girls played Midwest Extreme

 

Additionally Gray VB is a very structured & competitive program.

 

Just wanted to contribute.

  • Author
Glad to see a fresh start at SK. Not impressed with the formerly staff, based on very little history and even less interaction.

 

The grapevine tells me they weren't highly thought of.

 

Deleted

New member here .... enjoy reading everyone's thoughts.

 

Just some info....

Gray middle school current 8th grade VB team:

this past club season:

4 girls plays at NKYVC National teams

1 girl played at Tri State Elite National team

3 girls played Caliente open team

2 girls played NKJV

3 girls played Midwest Extreme

 

Additionally Gray VB is a very structured & competitive program.

 

Just wanted to contribute.

 

By the way, Hi Moonie and welcome to BGP. Gray is one of the few places in NKY where a public school culture exists that gets kids started early. Glad to hear they are doing so well.

uhhhhh.... I guess you didn't see the part that said she was a former JV/Varsity assistant to the previous head coach.

 

Nope. Knew that. She's the fresh start from the dark cloud that was hovering above the program. Players liked her, unlike the former JV/V coaches.

  • Author
Nope. Knew that. She's the fresh start from the dark cloud that was hovering above the program. Players liked her, unlike the former JV/V coaches.

 

Not sure who you have been talking to because I've heard the opposite. You go from a staff that know volleyball really well to the new staff that doesn't. I believe it was said the new JV coach has never coached before. Heck the previous HC must know something if she is on a college staff now.

 

Remember you don't have to always like your coach. I know a lot of coaches that if you ask players if they liked their coach when they played for them they would say no, but you ask them after they graduate they understand now why they did what they did and they respect them more.

 

I'll take hard coaches that know the game than any new coach who got the job by default and a staff of inexperienced assistants.

 

Sorry Bandit, I believe you are talking to the wrong ppl.

Not sure who you have been talking to because I've heard the opposite. You go from a staff that know volleyball really well to the new staff that doesn't. I believe it was said the new JV coach has never coached before. Heck the previous HC must know something if she is on a college staff now.

 

Remember you don't have to always like your coach. I know a lot of coaches that if you ask players if they liked their coach when they played for them they would say no, but you ask them after they graduate they understand now why they did what they did and they respect them more.

 

I'll take hard coaches that know the game than any new coach who got the job by default and a staff of inexperienced assistants.

 

Sorry Bandit, I believe you are talking to the wrong ppl.

 

Couldn't agree more. It concerns me that the program may slip back to where it was. Love her or hate her, Andrea Atwood did a great job of making SK relevant in recent years, and the fact that she is moving on to the college ranks says something of her understanding of the game.

 

With all that said I know nothing of the new staff and wish them the best. There's a decent amount of talent there.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.