Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Volleyball coach at Simon Kenton

Featured Replies

I just saw on Twitter that there is a new VB coach at SK? Dana Hacker? Big shoes to fill after last head coach left. Anyone know anything about her and will this help keep SK playing at the level they have?

  • Replies 119
  • Views 24.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danah has coached at SK in the past. I believe she has coached at the Frosh level there. Not sure about her previous experience. I believe she took last year off and wasn't part of that staff.

  • Author

Someone just PM'ed me and said I don't have the whole story. Sounds like she forced the hand of SK admin. Looks like they may have a full new staff of coaches because the ones from last year won't come back. Could make for an interesting season for the seniors. Good luck girls.

I think she actually coached JV, and I heard she was at a middle school before coming to the high school. Also a teacher at SK.

Someone just PM'ed me and said I don't have the whole story. Sounds like she forced the hand of SK admin. Looks like they may have a full new staff of coaches because the ones from last year won't come back. Could make for an interesting season for the seniors. Good luck girls.

 

 

Curious how one forces the hand of an admin.... I love the "someone pm'd me.... Can't be any more anonymous than that on bgp lol.

  • Author

Just passing on what someone told me. I didn't know if you taught at the school you must give it to the interested teacher first. I was told they were told that and had no choice but to give it to her.

 

I could post who told me if you tell me your name first. I won't tell. :-)

I truly dislike the KCBOE's stance on coaches. I believe it's more important to have the best possible candidate than to provide teaches with additional income. I'd love to see a petition started to bring this to their attention, because I don't know one person who's kid plays sports that thinks the current system is the right way to do things. It's probably also the number one reason public school sports are so inferior to parochial school sports.

I truly dislike the KCBOE's stance on coaches. I believe it's more important to have the best possible candidate than to provide teaches with additional income. I'd love to see a petition started to bring this to their attention, because I don't know one person who's kid plays sports that thinks the current system is the right way to do things. It's probably also the number one reason public school sports are so inferior to parochial school sports.

 

Not sure I follow you here, can you be more specific on the KCBOE "Stance on Coaches"

Lots of grumblings last year from parents regarding how the children were 'coached' by the HC and AHC/JV Coach. Haven't heard anything about playing time or wins/losses, just that they made it hard for the kids to be students AND athletes.

I truly dislike the KCBOE's stance on coaches. I believe it's more important to have the best possible candidate than to provide teaches with additional income. I'd love to see a petition started to bring this to their attention, because I don't know one person who's kid plays sports that thinks the current system is the right way to do things. It's probably also the number one reason public school sports are so inferior to parochial school sports.

 

I think you may be underestimating the importance of players...

lol, that's not condescending. Are you saying that Catholics are the only athletes of superior quality in NKY? Never mind, I reread your answer and that's exactly what you said... I disagree.

 

Public schools in NKY do not place an emphasis on sports... not at the elementary or middle school level, not like their counterparts in the parochial systems. And Public schools at the high school level are not much better at times, and those that are are severely handicapped by the lack of a quality feeder system.

 

Typically in public schools at the Elementary and Middle school levels when a school is searching for a coach or athletic director, the job might as well be posted solely in the teachers lounge. They do not seek out the best candidate unless they CAN'T find one internally who wants the gig, and that candidate for the most part need not have any prior experience or understanding of the game they are about to teach to the kids. In elementary and middle public schools there are no athletic booster organizations to speak of, and if you find one they function more like a fundraising branch than one that actually has input into the athletic process. There is no pressure to win, no pressure to succeed, and certainly no pressure to actually teach the kids the game. I'm not saying that some aren't successful, or that some don't try, I'm saying that all you need to do to get the job is already be on staff in most cases. That's not right.

 

I'd love to see a public school county in NKY that wanted to succeed on the court and field as much as they do in the classroom. The results would be eye opening for people who think such as you.

lol, that's not condescending. Are you saying that Catholics are the only athletes of superior quality in NKY? Never mind, I reread your answer and that's exactly what you said... I disagree.

 

Public schools in NKY do not place an emphasis on sports... not at the elementary or middle school level, not like their counterparts in the parochial systems. And Public schools at the high school level are not much better at times, and those that are are severely handicapped by the lack of a quality feeder system.

 

Typically in public schools at the Elementary and Middle school levels when a school is searching for a coach or athletic director, the job might as well be posted solely in the teachers lounge. They do not seek out the best candidate unless they CAN'T find one internally who wants the gig, and that candidate for the most part need not have any prior experience or understanding of the game they are about to teach to the kids. In elementary and middle public schools there are no athletic booster organizations to speak of, and if you find one they function more like a fundraising branch than one that actually has input into the athletic process. There is no pressure to win, no pressure to succeed, and certainly no pressure to actually teach the kids the game. I'm not saying that some aren't successful, or that some don't try, I'm saying that all you need to do to get the job is already be on staff in most cases. That's not right.

 

I'd love to see a public school county in NKY that wanted to succeed on the court and field as much as they do in the classroom. The results would be eye opening for people who think such as you.

 

I don't entirely agree with you. First, I know quite a few paraprofessionals coaching in Kenton County Schools (myself being one of them). And to say that the sports teams aren't doing well is ignoring some facts.

 

1..All three football teams posted winning records last year, one made the State Finals (Dixie), and another won 2 playoff games (Sk)

 

2. Scott High had three teams advance to the state tournament play (Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball) all three reaching the semi finals, and one (soccer) making the finals. This was the second straight trip to state for the baseball team. Sk's baseball team made the finals in 2014

 

3. All three schools had at least 2 wrestlers make the podium, all had at least one top 4 finisher, with one State Champ (Brandon Johnson, two years in a row), and one runner up.

 

Are sports the primary interest in Kenton County? No and they shouldn't be. But all schools are doing very well on and off the field at this point.

Thank you for your time first off, and my statement is not a condemnation of yours or anyone else's efforts to succeed. But I do believe your wrong if your try to say that our public high schools have elementary and middle school feeder systems that place an equal emphasis on sports that parochial schools do across the board. Heck we barely have any sports at the elementary level. We have 4th and 5th grade rec level basketball, and generally to coach a team it requires a parent who's main qualification is that they're willing to show up. The fact that your ok with the state of sports at the feeder levels speaks to the problem.

 

I will concede that last year we had a very good football year in Kenton Co, and that the middle school programs there have made an impact, but please don't quote Scott going to State in volleyball as a sign of success. They would have never made it out of Region 9 if they had to go through St. Henry, Ryle, Cooper, and Notre Dame. Depending on where they were placed, they might not have made it out of district play.

 

The same could be said for SK and Scott in all district, region, and state appearances. They don't have to go through the Catholic Schools up here to win a regional and with a good draw they don't see them till a semi final.

Edited by Sandman32

Thank you for your time first off, and my statement is not a condemnation of yours or anyone else's efforts to succeed. But I do believe your wrong if your try to say that our public high schools have elementary and middle school feeder systems that place an equal emphasis on sports that parochial schools do across the board. Heck we barely have any sports at the elementary level. We have 4th and 5th grade rec level basketball, and generally to coach a team it requires a parent who's main qualification is that they're willing to show up. The fact that your ok with the state of sports at the feeder levels speaks to the problem.

 

I will concede that last year we had a very good football year in Kenton Co, and that the middle school programs there have made an impact, but please don't quote Scott going to State in volleyball as a sign of success. They would have never made it out of Region 9 if they had to go through St. Henry, Ryle, Cooper, and Notre Dame. Depending on where they were placed, they might not have made it out of district play.

 

The same could be said for SK and Scott in all district, region, and state appearances. They don't have to go through the Catholic Schools up her to win a regional and with a good draw they don't see them till a semi final.

 

Certainly things could be better. But I'd argue that there are feeder systems in place, albeit, not school affiliated. At those levels, I think it should be more community related than school related. However, many do use the schools facilities to both practice and play. And even when you look at the Catholic schools in the area, the younger diocesan teams aren't really much more than rec teams either, and as the kids get older, they go on to play on non school affiliated teams (AAU, SWOL, club volleyball etc).

 

Also, while I don't disagree with the statement that Scott and SK might not have made it out of the region had they played in the 9th, also lets not completely ignore what they accomplished. In volleyball, they still advanced past other region champs, losing to the eventual state finalist that beat ND in the finals. In soccer, Scott defeated Trinity in the tournament. In baseball, Scott beat two ranked teams with D1 level pitching, and has gotten by Harrison County two years in a row. Same for SK baseball last year. So while the region they play in might not be as tough, they still played and beat top level teams when the opportunity arose.

 

I don't think things are as gloom and doom as you think they are.

I'm actually not doom and gloom. I believe that our public schools have just as many, if not more, athletes than any private school. I am merely trying to point out that our elementary and middle schools do not put as much an emphasis on getting kids involved with sports at an early age.

 

Our elementary schools have 3rd & 4th grade basketball, while private school kids have basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball starting in kindergarten thru 8th grade, and are also steered toward participation in soccer and football too.

 

It is a cultural thing.... public schools don't really even start to get remotely serious about a few select sports until 6th grade, while Private school kids start getting serious about sports in kindergarten. :)

 

 

Yes both are at a "rec" level, but I will guarantee you that on the private school side lines those parents are talking about which Select, Club, AABC, or AAU team they are going to either try out at or go back too for another season long before public school kids get to middle school.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.