Spring Practice at St. X

Spring football is taking off on Poplar Level Rd. and WSTXsports has a brief report about what is going on. Also in huge news in regards to fashion is that the St. X Tigers will be featuring new helmets in 2015.

Attached is the article about spring practice thanks to the students who put in the extra effort for WSTX!

Football is Back!

By: Jacob Hayslip

It may have snuck up on you, but Tiger Football is back! Today marks the start of the 2015 season and Spring Football at St. Xavier. Coach Wolford and the boys will be taking the field this afternoon for the first time since November after a long offseason.

Football is back! | WSTX Sports

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report of the helmets makes sense of the twitter post by former coach Mike Glaser. To sum it up.....The post had a pic of the traditional helmet and the quote," This helmet is a tradition unequaled."

Makes you think that he is not happy with a change to the helmets.

Interesting on the helmet........ Trinity has gone through some minor changes with the helmet in the past 15 years or so including changing the facemask from gray to white(2000 I believe and I am still not a fan of this, lol) and various shades of green, most recently in 2014 going to a matte forest green vs a glossy look but we haven't messed with the actual logo in decades.

ShamrockChamp, think I remember a time when the Rocks had a white stripe down the middle...correct? I also remember the gray facemask. Can't go wrong with the white or gray. All about the logo...can't change that!

No argument from me if X went to the logo on the back of the baseball jersey. I like it.

ShamrockChamp, think I remember a time when the Rocks had a white stripe down the middle...correct? I also remember the gray facemask. Can't go wrong with the white or gray. All about the logo...can't change that!

No argument from me if X went to the logo on the back of the baseball jersey. I like it.

You are correct, forgot about the white stripes with the white facemasks in 2000(Kevin White change).... There has been a single white stripe way back as well.... The X guys I've spoken to are not fond of altering the logo even though it does look fine....

I understand it will be the X with a cross in it. It is being added to ALL uniforms and bookstore items. This has been in the works for 4 years. I was reminded the current X on the helmet was first used in 1974. It is the same style font as the K that UK used on their helmets for many years prior to 1997.

I'm currently readying Coach Howard Schnellenburger's book, and the discussion about the logos and uniforms reminds me of the chapter about his time at Oklahoma. When he got OU he made some changes to the uniform and he talked about how that sent the boosters and Switzer followers into an up roar.

Change is inevitable, and truly there is nothing wrong with the "new" logo, it's just different. As a former player the "old" X just represents something special, from the outside it's hard to understand and from the inside it's hard to explain.

I am interested to hear more about the new offense and to see what changes are being made to an offense that has been inconsistent the last two season. Also, looking forward to Coach Bruner's defense and to see how he builds on a successful '14 season.

Wonder why this reporter is under the impression that they are going to run an Oregon style offense when that's not what he ran in Nashville?

I don't think he ran the offense in Nashville (I believe he was just the QB coach)??? So I would expect it to be different than the offense at Father Ryan (even though I am not sure what offense they run.

I have been told the offense will be more of a quick hitting running attack in an attempt to set up some passing plays. They will still run more that they will pass, but will have the offense based on fewer sets with slight variations off of those sets to keep the defense off balance.